Dustin Poirier's chances of beating Islam are higher than you think.

Still my favorite moment in the UFC ever. If Dustin somehow does the same.thing to Islam then I'll have 2 favorite moments.
If Dustin knocks out Islam, I'll buy you a drink next time you're in Vegas in Dustin's honor.
Hope Islam gets cocky and gets Martins'd again

I hope Dustin wins, just to watch all the haters fucking cry endlessly.

If Dustin won, then rematched Gaethje in their rubber match... I'd be good with that. Would be nice not to have to wait for hell to freeze over again before a champion defends their belt against a legitimate contender in their own weight class.

Dana's logic is if he just keeps throwing Dustin/Gaethje/whoever title shots, eventually one will get one of those low % chance wins, then he can protect/promote them the way he wants and make a ton of money.

Rocked Khabib?

Attachments

• 200w.gif
    200w.gif
    348.7 KB · Views: 0
There's no way Islam is even remotely solid at striking. His striking only works in mma cause of his majorly superior athleticism and grappling ability and MMA ability overal. He would fail miserably at pure kicoboxing. But it's MMA. So it works. Being elite everywhere else opens his striking. Him an Khabib are not good strikers, they are just amazing with MMA.

This statement means absolutely nothing. He competes in MMA. His striking is obviously only relevant in an MMA context, where indeed he is defensively excellent and rarely gets outstruck.

Dustin is an excellent fighter so while its a longshot it would by no means be super shocking if he won. I'd say his punchers chance is higher than Conor's was vs Khabib.

He's going to finally get the gilly if he has salon quality hair

You're shilling for Poirier and it's actually stealth shilling for Islam. To be honest, this fight isn't close, Islam is a far superior technician to Khabib, way better striking defense and striking technique...he doesn't have the durability and thusly isn't a "come straight at you and break you" kinda guy like Khabib but I've always found his takedowns more impressive, varied and technical too. We can argue top control, strength and whatnot. Also Poirier is 35 and got his shit rocked by Chandler, got his shit rocked by Charles and then strangled and got slept by a headkick vs Gaethje. This fight is pretty undeserved and unexciting and it's thanks to the inactivity of Islam which is typical from his gym, it should be Islam vs Gaethje or Islam vs Arman/Charles winner.

I'll be honest, this is more debatable but I think Islam is a better striker than Poirier too, obviously very different. Eagles MMA guys are hittable and uncomfortable in the pocket and under pressure but in order to get there you have to put yourself in clinch and takedown range. On the outside Islam is the cleaner striker, better defense, range management, straight punching and kicking than Poirier. In the pocket Poirier can probably Box Islam's ears off and hurt him, but realistically? He will get tied up and thrown. Poirier has never had good takedown defense, Korean Zombie and Cub Swanson threw him around at 145, Dan Hooker was taking him to wrestling school, Chandler and Khabib were taking him down and Benoit St Denis while fresh was taking down Poirier pretty easily too.

Easy work for Islam, Poirier is world class but nothing more than a punchers chance. Poirier doesn't deserve this fight and Islam needs to start taking on LW contenders and being more active. Inshallah.

This is actually an excellent breakdown. Great post.

I hope Dustin wins, just to watch all the haters fucking cry endlessly.

If Dustin won, then rematched Gaethje in their rubber match... I'd be good with that. Would be nice not to have to wait for hell to freeze over again before a champion defends their belt against a legitimate contender in their own weight class.

Dustin has haters? He's one of the most universally loved fighters in the UFC. I think most people, myself included, are rooting for the Diamond.

Last edited:
Islam is very guy difficult to hit, he has the highest striking defense in the division. Besides a well timed shot by Dustin, Dustin loses probably 9/10 times. I'm hoping Islam makes the mistake and trades with Poirier just 1 time.

And I know there's more deserving fighters than Dustin atm, but Dustin has paid his dues and one last shot at the title is more than well deserved imo.
The only thing with Islam is he just keeps out of punching range and paws to keep the distance. If Dustin can goad Islam into striking range and get him comfortable there, he has a chance of catching him.

My take. It’ll be a 1st round finish either way.

The only thing with Islam is he just keeps out of punching range and paws to keep the distance. If Dustin can goad Islam into striking range and get him comfortable there, he has a chance of catching him.
Agreed

I think he he needs to give Islam some success on the feet and let him over extend or frustrate him into firing back (which Islam is guilty of) and getting out of position.

Dustin needs to fight smart and lay traps.
Yup, Islam's technique flies out of the window when trading (he gets sloppy). He doesn't really have great technique on his punches to begin with actually. I'm sure Dustins team will do their due diligence, that's a hell of a team over there.

Yeah probably, because I have the bar set pretty low

Islam is very guy difficult to hit, he has the highest striking defense in the division. Besides a well timed shot by Dustin, Dustin loses probably 9/10 times. I'm hoping Islam makes the mistake and trades with Poirier just 1 time.

And I know there's more deserving fighters than Dustin atm, but Dustin has paid his dues and one last shot at the title is more than well deserved imo.
It’s a product of good timing. With a Dustin Win it could set up a trilogy with Gaethje, rematch with Charles or other fights. UFC wins big. If he loses then oh well. The division will play out as normal.

Back