English day of servitude.

I posted an article that shows otherwise. There are direct mechanisms that give them political power, and even if there wasn't, which there is, they still have enormous influence. Don't be fuckin foolish.

lol at their presence barely felt. It is idol worship in its most distilled form. It is undignified.

The Royal family has influence and power in 21st century Britain. FACT. Scroll up to the article I posted.

Of course they do have some distinctive power, I should've mentioned they don't exercise those as much as they can because they're not involved in politics. Elected officials in parliament make 99% of decisions to run the country, and there are certain things that need Royal approval. But can they turn into tyrants? Yes but they wouldn't want to end up like Charles 1...

I don't see anything essential to the general population being sacrificed to please them. They bring in money more than they spend through tourism so it's a benefit to the economy. I'm personally indifferent to their existence. They could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't mind. I didn't even know the wedding day until that morning itself and watched my team's match instead that day. They could out run their usefulness and then go away for good...
On the other hand, this isn't the Middle East dictators who rule with luxurious life styles at the expense of their own population. Britain is a top ten economy and one of them most prosperous places in the world.
Do you share the same views for other Western monarchies such as the Danish, Dutch, Spanish and Swedish and others? They're all rich and developed countries too. My point is, the Western European monarchies are present only in name and don't have much authority modern day as they did pre-20th century. It won't be met well with the local populations if they abuse their power today.
Makes sense of course, with international affairs and local economies being a lot more complex than those times it'd be impossible for some rich, spoiled, entitled brats to manage these things reliably.

I think the problem is common people giving too much acknowledgement to any celeb, be they Royal or not.

A big part of the problem is the tabloids and media bombarding us with celeb news, royal news. Keep pushing a story long enough, and people eventually start paying attention to it, then they want more of the story.

Things I would rather do then listen to 2 women discuss the royal wedding.......

Have my balls cut off.
Have to saw off my own leg to escape that conversation.
Slide down a slide of razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohol, and salt.

Things I would rather do then listen to 2 women discuss the royal wedding.......

Have my balls cut off.
Have to saw off my own leg to escape that conversation.
Slide down a slide of razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohol, and salt.

Do you think they will have a boy or a girl? What will they name them!

Doesn't matter. It is an archaic institution that should not be celebrated.

When you consider the humanitarian history of monarchy, what goes on in Britain these days would be like idolizing and celebrating the descendants of Southern plantation owners - on the basis that they don't actually keep slaves anymore.

I couldn't agree with you more on this issue, JB. What took place yesterday and the world's reaction to it made me embarrassed to be a human being living in the 21st century.

celebrating monarchy. Two words.

In all fairness, the taxpayers were fitting the bill for her while she took time to write Harry Potter. So, if anything, they're kindred spirits?

When you consider the humanitarian history of monarchy, what goes on in Britain these days would be like idolizing and celebrating the descendants of Southern plantation owners - on the basis that they don't actually keep slaves anymore.

I couldn't agree with you more on this issue, JB. What took place yesterday and the world's reaction to it made me embarrassed to be a human being living in the 21st century.

Fuckin exactly. It is the last thing that should be celebrated. The British Empire. It is an insult to people all over the world.

These fuckin people throwin praise on a monarchy. Archaic concept that should be abolished. Enjoy your German Queen.

I think all celebrity worship is stupid. Even my wife thought watching the Royal wedding was a joke.

For example, I wouldn't cross the street to meet Tom Cruise.

Even for the MMA fighters, all I care about is their training and fighting. I don't follow the Twitter or listen to any interviews. I don't know them, I like watching them fight. There are people who stand in line and get autographs, it's pathetic.

It was just another opportunity for me to laugh at the UK.

The tourism money defense is so lame, like it justifies them. You don't need royalty to bring in money (see France).

Other countries generate money through tourism just fine without inherited privilege and people who put themselves above you. They don't even pander to religion as head of Church nowadays, not one mention about reaffirming Christianity, and it's all about themselves now and artificially generated (through msm) celebrity status. Most men don't give a fuck, it's only women that drag their husbands and watch.

These fuckin people throwin praise on a monarchy. Archaic concept that should be abolished. Enjoy your German Queen.

These fuckin people throwin praise on the 2nd ammendment. Archaic concept that should be abolished. Enjoy your (insert who knows how many statistics here)

Why do you protect inherited privilege and people who put themselves above you?

It's a prerequisite for human survival that you and I have leaders and bosses.

I agree that celebrating a monarchical dynasty is unsavory and reductive, but we should have sympathy for those people who do not know better and explain the reality in a way that they might listen.

Otherwise we're just talking down on the poorly educated and naive people we dislike... as we so often do.

These fuckin people throwin praise on the 2nd ammendment. Archaic concept that should be abolished. Enjoy your (insert who knows how many statistics here)

Agreed!

You know what I hate? Free Speech.

These stupid people go around saying, and just as bad thinking, all their wrong ideas, and I have few ways to punish them for being so stupid and wrong.

agreed a family that does nothing and once oppressed the people. also helped them at times but given how the UK has gone crazy with pc stuff i surprised they keep monarchy.

Ran out of likes, I guess, but I would if I could.

Sid had it right.

Back