Epic Beer Thread v30: Pumpkin Beers in August? WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking a Revival shell shocked (Belgian saison oyster beer with orange peel and fermented wild).
Orange peel is very up front, as for the fermented wild it seems to Have little funk. Also it's cask conditioned so it's weird to have a warm saison

So I finally got to try Grapefruit Sculpin.

Not impressed. I mean it's not shit, but I was expecting something more. Guess it's easy to get ones hopes up after reading about it over and over.

06172015.jpg

body

Nice Whaleslayer. I have one different one that I love.

Not impressed. I mean it's not shit, but I was expecting something more. Guess it's easy to get ones hopes up after reading about it over and over.

its a good starter IPA. It is how I got started.

Anyway, took half the day off to go to TreeHouse tomorrow to buy the max allotment of any type of IPA in any container.
Shit, I should have been doing this for months ffs.

That's not being a beer snob. That's being narrow minded. You're no different than the guy only drinking Miller and Coors. Don't put yourself on a pedestal because you only drink one kind of good beer.

But I am not drinking their shit beers. I am admitting I am consumed with a certain style of beer right now.

How am I putting myself on a pedestal? My opinion is not better than anyone else's, but my opinion is the only one that matters as far as what I drink. I do not want to drink anything else right now. I still do drink different styles here and there of highly rated beer but I just end up wishing I was drinking an IPA. I do drink many different brands of IPAs.

When I say beer is crap it is just my opinion and not subjective at all----like any opinion. Say something like Ballast Point Victory at Sea is a very high rated beer from a brewery I really like, but man I just cannot stand the taste. Even though I do like vanilla and coffee. I went through a whole 6 pack and did not change my mind at all.

I can't like everything and I will just have to deal with that. But I really do not expect to find a American Porter that I like. The style is just not something I like at all.

The guys drinking nothing but Coors and Miller are drinking shit beer. Flat out. Even though it is not a style I like, but even in the style they are rated shit. If you like your beer to taste as close to water as possible while having alcohol in it, then this shit is right up your alley.
bud rated ZERO overall
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/budweiser/473/

I don't think it's an improvement on the base beer personally. But I feel that way about all fruited IPAs. It's good, don't get me wrong. But I'll drink standard Sculpin first.

For pumpkin beers if you wanna try something like pumpkin pie with a sweet aroma and some hops do Southern Tier Pumking. Two Roads roadsmarys baby is milder, not much carbonization but is aged in rum barrels so tastes unique. Kentucky pumpkin barrel ale is aged in bourbon barrels, nice kick to it. Dogfish punkin ale is the most well rounded. Brown ale with pumpkin spice. Anyone who likes Newcastle would enjoy this. Half full pumpkin is also nice. Worth trying for sure. Harpoon makes an unfiltered pumpkin ale that is dominated by cinnamon. Love that one. Pumple drumkin by Cisco isn't that great. Lame mouthfeel. Shipyard pumpkin ale is essentially cider lol. Nothing to it. Just drinkable party pumpkin stuff. My all time fave is Sam Adams fat Jack. Ages well and is full bodied and one bottle before a meal is the perfect amount of alcohol. The one I want to but haven't tried yet is weyerbacher. Heard good things about it. As far as pumpkin porters/ stouts go I tried southern tier warlock but didn't like it. Also thimble island porter. Stouts and porters are more smokey and don't mix well with pumpkin.

I work at a liquor store.
I don't want to try any of that shit, but thanks regardless.

Almost SN Flipside time. My body is ready.

But I am not drinking their shit beers. I am admitting I am consumed with a certain style of beer right now.

How am I putting myself on a pedestal? My opinion is not better than anyone else's, but my opinion is the only one that matters as far as what I drink. I do not want to drink anything else right now. I still do drink different styles here and there of highly rated beer but I just end up wishing I was drinking an IPA. I do drink many different brands of IPAs.

When I say beer is crap it is just my opinion and not subjective at all----like any opinion. Say something like Ballast Point Victory at Sea is a very high rated beer from a brewery I really like, but man I just cannot stand the taste. Even though I do like vanilla and coffee. I went through a whole 6 pack and did not change my mind at all.

I can't like everything and I will just have to deal with that. But I really do not expect to find a American Porter that I like. The style is just not something I like at all.

The guys drinking nothing but Coors and Miller are drinking shit beer. Flat out. Even though it is not a style I like, but even in the style they are rated shit. If you like your beer to taste as close to water as possible while having alcohol in it, then this shit is right up your alley.
bud rated ZERO overall

You're missing my point, homie. Not denying they are poor beers. They are well made but their flavors are crap. I don't drink them if I can help it. I couldn't tell you the last time I drank an AAL. But you're limiting yourself to 1 flavor profile. That's no different than the guy who only drinks AALs. I'll reach for something hoppy over anything else as well. But there are also many stouts, sours, barleywines, saisons, and many others that I can't think of in my house. Don't limit yourself to one segment of beer. There is a lot of cool shit out there. But this debate is played out by now. Let's move on and talk about good beer.

My Side Project trader is dragging his feet getting my box out. It's like I'm trading with POU3 again :D

Ohhh no I meant Jack's I need to visit soon, not Trillium...although yes, I do need to go there also. I havent been in 2 years!

The Tree House Gang is a better FB group in my opinion also...not that it really matter but it's a good place for updates and info regularly updated by a guy who works there part time

Ah, yeah Jacks is fantastic now. The tasting room was cool and suited it's purpose but the new place is a huge improvement. They have at least double the amount of beers on tap now too. They've had 3 or 4 of the barrel aged Framinghammers on tap since they opened the doors about a month ago. Still had them on Sunday along with just a lot more to choose from than in the past. Well worth a trip.

My only complaint is I don't like their new logo. But that doesn't affect the taste of the beer so...

Pumpkin beers are a strange phenomenon. Not into it myself.

Yo PUO, Beercraft is having their anniversary party Thursday next week. So much amazing shit. Double Dobis from Cellarmaker (shits on Heady) West Ashley from Sante Adairius (NOBODY gets kegs of this), some Rare Barrel stuff, Beachwood, Modern Times and more. Gonna be epic.

I'd still consider Sierra Nevada craft beer. You can be large scale and still be craft. Shit, SN releases the Estate beer every year with home grown hops and barley. Bout as craft as it gets.

I think you stop becoming craft the moment you brew adjunct lagers, but that's my opinion.

Same. Sierra Nevada and Boston Beer Co deserve to get respect

If anyone wants to drink the Street Green collab between Other Half and Trillium, they have it on tap tonight at other half brewery in brooklyn.

yes, i am hitting that up today

Edit: went to OH tonight and had the street green on draft. 2 glasses. 1st glass was good. 2nd eh. I think OH hop showers digs a 2 ft deep hole, throws street green into said hole, dumps on it, and covers it back up. I feel sorry for the peeps who waiting in line 3 hours for that shit.

that being said, looks like I am getting treehouse julius, haze, and alter ego tomorrow. word.

I only drink beers that are rated 100 on Beer Advocate...

My Tree House guy said he spend 3 hours in line at Other Half waiting for Street Green.

Pumpkins up here are already ripened and almost ready to pick. Fucking climate change.

That said, brewerys usually do really well with pumpkin ales as they quickly sell out, so a lot of them start coming out early next month.

I, myself, plan on making a pumpkin spice saison, really dry (3711 yeast) and will just add a bit of vanilla to it. Will be ready for September, assuming I brew it in the next week or so.

Awesome. Let me know if you need Tree House tips, i'm a regular

Hey, I made it there today in like 2.5 hours, not so bad. Got julius, haze, and alter ego.

How long would you let a growler in your fridge without opening it? How long would you think an opened growler is good for?

I only ever got growlers from beer stores, and not an actual brewery.

TIA

Pumpkin beers are a strange phenomenon. Not into it myself.

Yo PUO, Beercraft is having their anniversary party Thursday next week. So much amazing shit. Double Dobis from Cellarmaker (shits on Heady) West Ashley from Sante Adairius (NOBODY gets kegs of this), some Rare Barrel stuff, Beachwood, Modern Times and more. Gonna be epic.

Damn man I wish it was on the weekend. I am at work 7-4:30 in Concord and then in class 6-10 in Richmond Mon-Thurs until December. Real bitter Ill miss the Sante Adairius. Do they have Modern Times in the cans now at the store?

Bartender just gave me Ommegang's Three Philosophers when I asked what their favorite was and I swear I saw god.

If you get a chance try their Art of Darkness.....you'll see Beezelubub with a smile on your face :)

Hey, I made it there today in like 2.5 hours, not so bad. Got julius, haze, and alter ego.

How long would you let a growler in your fridge without opening it? How long would you think an opened growler is good for?

I only ever got growlers from beer stores, and not an actual brewery.

TIA

If it's a swing top that's filled properly, I'd say about 2 weeks. Screw top, 5-7 days max.

Drinking my first Peche Mortel at the moment. The most coffee forward beer I've ever had. A little too bitter on the back end but overall, really enjoyable.

Had a Stickee Monkee from Firestone on tap last night.

Kind of like a quad and barelywine blend. Really good. Lots of barrel, complexity, coconut and dark fruits. Got even better as it warmed up.

486.jpg

North Coast Brother Thelonius
Belgian Dark Strong Ale

-plums,raisins,figs,caramel,toffee,spicy,slight banana
-strawberries,cherries
-medium to high carbonation
-light to medium body
-alcohol warmth

I was surprised at how close this comes to Belgian Dark strong ales.
Comparetively this lacked a bit of body

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I agree with your review :) and really like reading them.

If it's a swing top that's filled properly, I'd say about 2 weeks. Screw top, 5-7 days max.

Drinking my first Peche Mortel at the moment. The most coffee forward beer I've ever had. A little too bitter on the back end but overall, really enjoyable.

thanks, man. just a regular screw top. looks like I am going to dedicate myself to drinking starting now.

edit: ok, so I just poured a glass of Julius and best beer I have ever had. Previously it was MBO lunch and HF society and solotude and I OH hop showers.

OMG, just drank some more. Fuck an A this is delicious. Well worth the drive. Perfect. I just had a hop orgasm in my mouth. :eek:

Never in my life will I drink anything but PA/IPA/DIPA.

Have yet to have a pumpkin beer I actually thought was remotely good.

Growlers last up to two weeks with proper fills.

Do they have Modern Times in the cans now at the store?
No but the owner JT is down in SoCal right now for a run and he said he was gonna grab some Modern Times so they'll have it next week. Belching Beaver made a run of PB Milkstout in cans exclusively for them but I think those all sold out by now. He's grabbing kegs from Societe right now too.

bud rated ZERO overall

I feel ya bro...I'm in a similar situation and will not go places that don't have decent beers...my palate is quite similar bit I also love me some Belgium styles as well as IPA/DIPA's

I've seen places wrap the standard screw caps with like electrical tape kind of stuff though I'm sure it's not electrical tape. But, if you're storing for more than a day or two putting an extra seal around that cap seems like a good idea to prevent carbonation leakage. I always twist on the cap of a growler I've just had filled as tight as I can right after the fill just to make sure it's secured down as tight as it can be. I also do that between pours. Carbonation loss really affects a beers quality pretty quickly in a lot of cases imo.

No but the owner JT is down in SoCal right now for a run and he said he was gonna grab some Modern Times so they'll have it next week. Belching Beaver made a run of PB Milkstout in cans exclusively for them but I think those all sold out by now. He's grabbing kegs from Societe right now too.

Sweet hopefully I can snag some.

thanks, man. just a regular screw top. looks like I am going to dedicate myself to drinking starting now.

edit: ok, so I just poured a glass of Julius and best beer I have ever had. Previously it was MBO lunch and HF society and solotude and I OH hop showers.

OMG, just drank some more. Fuck an A this is delicious. Well worth the drive. Perfect. I just had a hop orgasm in my mouth. :eek:

Nice!!

Julius still tops all for me too i'd say, although several other Tree House beers are right on its' tail.

Am I the only one that gets the shits from pumpkin beer?

Just became a HUGE fan of Red Rocket Ale....been trying/drinking Reds/Amber and Red Rye's the last few months......REd Rocket is a Damn good red ale...I like it better than Tocobaga and Lagunitas Imperial red...just checked BA and real start looking for

Troegs Nugget Nectar
Maine Beer Co - Zoe
and some of the other high rated reds...

giphy.gif

Nugget Nectar is seasonal. Think it was around about February or March but I'm not positive.

I didn't realize Zoe is a red ale. I may grab one next time I see it. I think that one is pretty regular around here.

Founder's Red Rye is an excellent beer imo. Different than the amber/reds you're talking about but worth a try if you see it.

Pipeworks Blood of the Unicorn red ale is a new addiction of mine. I think you can only get it in Chicago but if you see it it's excellent imo.

Drinking this:
img_20150902_231622.jpg

Jack Daniels Barrel aged imperial brown/pumpkin ale.

Really fucking good (and I am already tired of pumpkin ale)

I've seen places wrap the standard screw caps with like electrical tape kind of stuff though I'm sure it's not electrical tape. But, if you're storing for more than a day or two putting an extra seal around that cap seems like a good idea to prevent carbonation leakage. I always twist on the cap of a growler I've just had filled as tight as I can right after the fill just to make sure it's secured down as tight as it can be. I also do that between pours. Carbonation loss really affects a beers quality pretty quickly in a lot of cases imo.

Some places do that because of state law. Each state is different for markings. For example in CO they have to write the beer name on the white cap everyone uses. Most places use a dry erase or similar marker so the growler can be reused, and if the growler isn't from that brewery, they throw a sticker on it.

Unopened growlers go two weeks pretty easily. Some bigger beers can last much longer if properly stored. Generally once opened it should be fully consumed, but there are ways around that like nitrogen sprays, etc.

Shipyard brews their pumpkin ale all year. When stores start ordering it is what's fucked up, but you can't call bullshit on Shipyard for that. It's one of their flagship brews. With that said. I hate pumpkin beer. It's like liquid cinnamon in my mouth and I can't get down w/ that.

I had a Founders wet hop last night and it was damn tasty.

Am I the only one that gets the shits from pumpkin beer?

I get beer shits all the time regardless of what beer I drink. It's because I usually drink tons of beer and in mass quantities.

3084.jpg

Alpirsbacher Kloster Starkbier
Heller Bock

-alcohol,grainy,biscuity,honey,red apple
- marzipan
-medium hop bitterniss for the style
-medium carbonation
-medium to full body
-alcohol present

Im not the biggest Fan of Pale Bocks but i can distinguish good and bad ones.
This was average at best

15295419yc.jpg

Moosbacher Weissbier
Hefeweizen

-lemon,wheat,clove,banana,earthy,vegetables,perfumy
-lemon zest,chalk,pepper,metallic
-quite dry for a Hefeweizen
-high carbonation
-light to medium body

I expected more from the Aroma.Decent but nothing more

user4537_48225.jpg

Arcobräu Urfass
Dortmunder/Export

-grassy,spicy,honey,crackery
-apple
-medium to high carbonation
-light Body

Decent Export.Missing some complexity to better style examples

10899408_704156219702707_1624415250_n.jpg

To Öl Black Ball Porter

-slight smoke,oats,grainy,coffee,chocolate,anice
-anice,oats,coffee,slight smoke,brown sugar,licorice
-full body
-low carbonation
-no alcohol detectable

kasteel-1.jpg

Kasteel Winter
Belgian Dark Strong Ale

-ice coffee,milk chocolate,mocha,cinnamon,nutty,toffee,vanilla
-figs,caramel,prunes,raisins,molasses
-medium carbonation
-medium to full body
-alcohol warming,which is less than expected with an 11%er

This is absolutely incredible.
Perfect fit for christmas

camba%252Bamber%252Bale.jpg

Camba Amber Ale

-caramel,toffee,nutty,apricot,plums
-light to medium body
-low to medium carbonation
-feels slightly creamy
-slight alcohol warming

Pretty nice,but too high abv for an amber ale

I had a Founders wet hop last night and it was damn tasty.

I thought it was better in years past but still solid.

Victory's Harvest is an insult to last year's beer. It went from a 4.5 beer to a 3.5 beer at best. Was so good last year.

153897_900.jpg

Ayinger Celebrator
Doppelbock

-caramel,toffee,slight roasted malt,dark bread
-disappointing aroma
-syrup,molasses,toast,coffee,brown sugar,rum
-medium carbonation,medium-full body

Easily a Top 5 Doppelbock in the world

mario_reissdorf.jpg

Reissdorf K

I thought it was better in years past but still solid.

Victory's Harvest is an insult to last year's beer. It went from a 4.5 beer to a 3.5 beer at best. Was so good last year.

To be honest, its the first wet hop I've had. I started really drinking the IPAs about a year ago.

Love Celebrator. Probably one of the first beers that really got me into craft/good imported beer.

Appreciate you reviewing other German beers with the pics and all. It makes picking ones to try a lot less of a shot in the dark. Looking forward to hearing what German Oktoberfest you rate the highest so I can cop it.

Just became a HUGE fan of Red Rocket Ale....been trying/drinking Reds/Amber and Red Rye's the last few months......REd Rocket is a Damn good red ale...I like it better than Tocobaga and Lagunitas Imperial red...just checked BA and real start looking for

Troegs Nugget Nectar
Maine Beer Co - Zoe
and some of the other high rated reds...

Where are you located? Nugget Nectar is an early spring seasonal so you won't see it around now. They have a year round called Hopback Amber that's pretty decent. It's much more malt-forward than Nugget Nectar. If you prefer hoppy red, I'd suggest looking at Flipside IPA from Sierra Nevada. If you're in Western PA, OH, Portland, or Indiana, it begins and ends with Bonehead Red from Fat Head's. POU3 will vouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back