Media ESPN’s Pound for Pound rankings are garbage

I’ve never seen a good p4p list in mma
Fightmatrix might have the best formula
But they currently have Leon Edwards at number 1. Not so sure about that. If he beats Colby and the next guy, maybe a case could be made for him

I think the Jones #1 argument is that the guy has won essentially 29 straight fights and, in terms of recency and p4p, just moved UP in weight and destroyed the #1 ranked HW in a title fight.

Maybe I'm just a simple neanderthal here, but it seems like a strong argument for him to be above a guy who recently tried to go up in weight and lost, regardless of the difference between Islam + Gane.

How did usman go from 8 to 7 ? Did he win recently?

Beating gane who is in the lowest skill division in mma and who had his grappling exposed by ngannou of all people is definitely enough to put you at #1, especially in combination with his great wins over, em, reyes, wait I mean santos, wait I mean, oh yeah Anthony smith!

Yall spend too much time debating p4p when it means exactly fuckall big picture. Wgaf.

Which non UFC fighter can hold a candle to any of those?
without confidence, i'd say nurmagomedov, amosov, mckee, are not skill and resume wise out of the league of the ranks 5 to 10 here.

ESPN has a deal with UFC so of course they're not going to include any outside talent. PFL is treated like minor leagues with a lot of UFC leftovers. And the way FLW is looking, it's hard to make a case for Mighty Mouse since he's not exactly fighting the top of the top. Who else outside of the UFC deserves to be on the list?
That isn't true though, I've seen other ESPN rankings lists before that include fighters from PFL, Bellator and ONE in the past.

Sherdog’s list is much better

20230821052249_mp4p082123.PNG

P4P is based off more than one recent fight, that's why O'Malley didn't skyrocket up to the top 5.

Jones isn't the "obvious" #1 P4P, you're confusing it with the GOAT argument. He's got 1 great heavyweight win sure but since 2019 his LHW wins were lackluster. If you start reaching back to pre-2017 fights you've lost the plot on what P4P is.

Go look at what Volkanovski is doing to the top contenders in his division in recent years. Think Jones does that to all the top HWs right now? I don't.
Last 5 years Volkanovski has 9 wins: 3 tko's, 6 decisions. 9 is impressive but he's more of a decision machine

Top 5 is debatable but at least makes sense, but 6 to 10 are a joke lol

PS: Megan Anderson as in former 145er that got pummeled by Nunes and never looked back? Had no idea she landed an ESPN gig.

I like the ESPN list other than Usman being on it.
I mean he was great for a while, but he looked washed in his last fight. I think he is done.

Back