Media ESPN Graded The "Most Exciting" UFC Divisions And.. Jamahal Hill and Fighters Were NOT Happy

BW is the best so they're right about that. But not just bc of O'Malley, it's been the best division for at least 3 years.

Tier 2: FW, LW, WW - all good (LW probably the best of the 3).
Tier 3: MW and LHW - okay but far from their respective glory days.
Tier 4: HW and FLW - both totally uninteresting outside the top 5.

I'm dumb so maybe I need some help here, but how are they grading the divisions based off the first quarter of 2024?
Like are we counting all the bouts from a divisions? Or just ranked and championship fights? If it's all the fights then that's tricky cuz I haven't watched that many prelims so far this year and I'd be probably missing out on a lot then.

And what are they basing it on? How many finishes there was in a division? How many bonuses? Or just a personal opinion thing.
I do agree bantamweight has been awesome this year so far tho, I would think that's probably the right one to take the top spot.

Lol no, read the guy's writing, it's crap. He says he's grading the first quarter, but then he talks about every fighter who exists at Bantamweight over the last 5 years.

Based just on Q1, I'd say LHW is way better. BW had one big fight? And really that fight sucked, let's be honest. LHW had a better fight, and a more interesting followup.

Lol no, read the guy's writing, it's crap. He says he's grading the first quarter, but then he talks about every fighter who exists at Bantamweight over the last 5 years.

Based just on Q1, I'd say LHW is way better. BW had one big fight? And really that fight sucked, let's be honest. LHW had a better fight, and a more interesting followup.
Thanks I wasn't really getting the criteria he was going by there.
I think bantamweight did good(Merab/Henry and Bautista/Simon were fun), but again I haven't watch enough fights this year in general in that quarter to give all the divisions a fair shake.

All Q1 fights

LHW
Ankalaev vs Walker 2
Prachnio vs Clark
Guskav vs Pauga
Zhang vs Ribeiro
Petrino vs Pedro
Lins vs Cutelaba
OSP vs Nzechukwu
Aslan vs Turkalj

>

BW
O'Malley vs Chito
Merab vs Cejudo
Yan vs Sadong
Phillips vs Munhoz
U Nurmagomedov vs Almakhan
Bautista vs Simon
McGhee vs Bolanos
F Basharat vs Lapilus
Armfield vs Katona
Taveres vs Sidey
Marcos vs Qileng
Nakamura vs Vera
Barcelos vs Quinonez
Oliveira vs Sopaj
Zahabi vs J Basharat
Anheliger vs Grigoriou
Talbott vs Saaiman
Johns vs Gibson
Loughran vs Pacheco

Is this being honest?

Last edited:
Imagine relying on espn to keep up to date on mma

Middle at 2 is bonkers. LW easily top 3. BW, FW, LW in any order is valid

BW is the best so they're right about that. But not just bc of O'Malley, it's been the best division for at least 3 years.

Tier 2: FW, LW, WW - all good (LW probably the best of the 3).
Tier 3: MW and LHW - okay but far from their respective glory days.
Tier 4: HW and FLW - both totally uninteresting outside the top 5.

The tiers are good but I would have WW in Tier 3. Leon just is not active enough and because of the Leon/Colby fight the division is jammed. UFC literally has 3 fights they could make at WW that could be on PPV and for some reason they refuse to make the fights.

All Q1 fights

LHW
Ankalaev vs Walker 2
Prachnio vs Clark
Guskav vs Pauga
Zhang vs Ribeiro
Petrino vs Pedro
Lins vs Cutelaba
OSP vs Nzechukwu
Aslan vs Turkalj

>

BW
O'Malley vs Chito
Merab vs Cejudo
Yan vs Sadong
Phillips vs Munhoz
U Nurmagomedov vs Almakhan
Bautista vs Simon
McGhee vs Bolanos
F Basharat vs Lapilus
Armfield vs Katona
Taveres vs Sidey
Marcos vs Qileng
Nakamura vs Vera
Barcelos vs Quinonez
Oliveira vs Sopaj
Zahabi vs J Basharat
Anheliger vs Grigoriou
Talbott vs Saaiman
Johns vs Gibson
Loughran vs Pacheco

Is this being honest?

Honestly, 3/4 of those BW fights are total nobodies that nobody cares about

And honestly, I thought Poatan vs. Jiri was in Q1 but I guess time flies :)

Honestly, 3/4 of those BW fights are total nobodies that nobody cares about

And honestly, I thought Poatan vs. Jiri was in Q1 but I guess time flies :)
More like 3/4 of those LHW. Ank matters. Walker is fun. Petrino is a prospect hitting the rankings. Zhang might be something later, maybe Guskav too, but that Volkan loss makes me doubt it. Lins needs to actually show up to fights. Prachnio, Clark, Pauga, Ribeiro, Pedro, Cutelaba, OSP, Nzechukwu, and Turkalj ain't shit, and it's too early in the UFC for Aslan for anyone to give a shit.

10 of those BW's are ranked, Simon is fringe and honestly could be ranked, Farid is a great prospect, McGhee could be something, Marcos, Nakamura, and Talbott are undefeated.

We just got a cpl great fights at WFLW. But, now Manon gets to sit for the next year because an unnecessary trilogy fight won’t happen until mid-September?

As usual.. The UFC can’t get out of their own way. Maybe we’ll see Erin vs Rose? Idk, but other than that, and until Alexa/Shevchenko lll. There doesn’t seem to be any big fights to make. They’ve log jammed the top of the division in a ridiculous way. Just so Alexa, and Shevchenko can coach on TUF, no less.

Hey, UFC..

1712279944962.gif

Back