Ever yell at someone at work?

I have a few moments that I am less than proud of.

I made a coworker cry, which still to this day bothers me even though we are friends.

I had a coworker who is also a Sunday school teacher tell me that sometimes its not what you say, but how you say that can hurt someone's feelings.

Once a co-worker called me in the morning while I was still sleeping (working from home) and started with "Good morning, I will ruin your day". I lost my shit.

Hell yes ! Sometimes ya just gotta yell !

Working in a prison, I have yelled at both inmates and staff. Never a proud moment, but sometimes, I have no choice. As I age, I am much more cutting than loud. For an example, if an inmate gets disrespectful, I will say, "Let me remind you of our relationship." Then I make them turn around and pat search them in front of everyone. As I do it, I lecture them on respect and how I always show it, but need to receive it back to continue that relationship. If the inmate shows respect moving forward, we are fine and I never, ever hold it against them. We all have bad days, but unfortunately, I need to be the alpha occasionally.
I feel like this is how you go about getting gassed a few weeks later by said inmate.

I feel like this is how you go about getting gassed a few weeks later by said inmate.

I bet you are wrong. The thing is, I am super chill so if I get to this point, the population would be checking said punk after I was done. I have earned respect as I do my job daily. I actually do more than what I'm supposed to do. @Bobby Boulders will tell you how inmates check other inmates for messing with decent staff. It's code that you don't bite the hand that feeds.

Never I'm not an animal and never take my job that seriously. One manager yelled at me I took her in the office told her to never speak to me like that again. She didn't , got her fired 4 months later.
Only weak people yell at something as insignificant as work. You might catch a hook.....so yeah.

Yeah, I had an assistant who was pretty grating and one day I flipped out on him. It wasn’t something I ever did before but once I finally did it…every little stupid or annoying thing he did set me off and I was yelling at him daily…and it was pretty bad.

Never had the problem with any before or since him. He was definitely annoying but I felt bad about it.

Usually only if someone comes at me like an asshole. I just out asshole them. Had some short fat redneck concrete guy come at me with an attitude, I laughed at him and apparently swore. He took offense to my language even though he had dropped the F bomb several times, and threatened to kick my ass as he sits in his truck. I laughed again. He started to open his door and I stopped laughing and changed my demeanor to serious and informed him if he came within 3 feet of me I was going to kick him in the head. Fatass stopped dead in his tracks and closed the door lol

It’s far and few in between, but I’ll lose my cool with an unruly student or an admin that I feel is really overstepping their bounds.

It's part of life. You chew someone out and someone chews you out somewhere else.

When I was a 1st or 2nd year, we had this moron named Gary who never got his journeyman ticket and was a garbage electrician. We were working on things while he sorted the bolt bin. It may have been why he was so verbally abusive to all of us young guys but I was still green, like 20 and too scared to say anything. It pissed me off more and more over time. He’d come criticize literally everything while I never saw him turn a wrench or really do much of anything the whole time.

One time I lost my cool with him when he told me he was in the trade for longer than I’ve been alive and countered with “and here you are, still sorting bolts while teenagers are already working, you fucking idiot” and tore a strip off of him for like 2 minutes after. I totally lost my cool.

After I finally stood up to him, more apprentices started lighting into him and they fired him. Some of the older dudes were unaware he was so shitty to us and once it got around, he wasn’t there much longer.

I don’t know how you work on job sites for 20 years and not pick up anything but if I was like that, I’d be miserable too. I went on to be a foreman there and now I own my own company and I would never allow a guy to treat people like he did on a job site. It way was beyond your typical crusty old journeyman trying to break in apprentices hard like he had done to him.

Working in a prison, I have yelled at both inmates and staff. Never a proud moment, but sometimes, I have no choice. As I age, I am much more cutting than loud. For an example, if an inmate gets disrespectful, I will say, "Let me remind you of our relationship." Then I make them turn around and pat search them in front of everyone. As I do it, I lecture them on respect and how I always show it, but need to receive it back to continue that relationship. If the inmate shows respect moving forward, we are fine and I never, ever hold it against them. We all have bad days, but unfortunately, I need to be the alpha occasionally.

Wow file this under oddly arousing.<GOT2>

I don’t honestly think I’ve ever yelled at anyone, at least since being an adult. My dad never yelled or even really raised his voice at me, maybe that’s where I get it from. I find I can usually make my point by lowering my tone rather than rasing it.

Never I'm not an animal and never take my job that seriously. One manager yelled at me I took her in the office told her to never speak to me like that again. She didn't , got her fired 4 months later.
Only weak people yell at something as insignificant as work. You might catch a hook.....so yeah.

The only times I've yelled at work was to warn someone to stay clear when there was a danger of some type like a vehicle they didn't notice or having to yell over loud machinery. The backup alarms on vehicles can be counterproductive. The driver assumes the alarm will keep people out of their way and employees become so accustomed to the alarms that they sometimes don't notice.

I think yelling at people is in my job description

Watching police interactions on video, sometimes the shouting seems to cause more problems. Often several officers are yelling at the same time. Yelling even seems to escalate some situations.

Watching police interactions on video, sometimes the shouting seems to cause more problems. Often several officers are yelling at the same time. Yelling even seems to escalate some situations.

Honest I’m very rarely a yeller at work. Was being sarcastic.

Absolutely way too many cops all just yell random conflicting shit at people and then wonder why they don’t comply

Back