Every punch McGregor threw

Bro - you are joking or trolling, right? Berto and Pac did better than Conor? You fa real fa real right now? It's hard to tell when people are being serious about this fight or trolling?
They landed less but landed more efficiently overall imo. Most of Conor's shots were glancing or had minimal impact. He had two or three pretty good punches in the fight but nothing remarkable. Conor's ability to land came mostly from Floyd actively being less defensive and intentionally reducing his output. By taking off the first three rounds Floyd and pushing forward he ensured that Conor would burn himself out.

Conor put forward a great effort and did better than I expected. He earned some respect from me with that.

However, his plan was horrible, he allowed himself to completely fall into Floyd's trap right away, his punches were overall inefficient/ineffective, and his defense was almost nonexistent. In the first three rounds it appeared that Floyd had some issues adjusting but even then he was never hurt or in any actual trouble.

With Pac it was clear that Floyd was very threatened by his ability and took no risks. In this fight he was comfortable enough to take any risk necessary with no real concern for defense.

Like I said I was very impressed with Conor. I just think people are letting their bias influence how they view this performance. He made a lot of mistakes in his plan and technique. He landed but not very cleanly or significant (excluding 2-3 punches) plus he fouled Floyd a lot. He did well but he was never giving Floyd more trouble than Pac or Berto.

Before the fight people were saying that Conor didn't even have to land clean, that shots through the gloves and shots scuffing the top of Floyd's head would be enough to hurt him. I watched the fight with a load of people, many of them casuals who buy all the Conor hype and they were genuinely shocked and amazed that Floyd was walking through Conor's punches like they were nothing.

A lot of guys on here, if being honest, must feel the same.

He must have some horrid sparring partners and coaches to be told he is the hardest hitting fighter ever.

Conor must be emotionally weak to have to be told how great he is and he's doing everything right and it turns out don't even know the basic fundamentals of throwing a power punch.

What kind of striking coach is in awe of power like that.
They must produce some devastating strikers over there.

Before the fight people were saying that Conor didn't even have to land clean, that shots through the gloves and shots scuffing the top of Floyd's head would be enough to hurt him. I watched the fight with a load of people, many of them casuals who buy all the Conor hype and they were genuinely shocked and amazed that Floyd was walking through Conor's punches like they were nothing.

A lot of guys on here, if being honest, must feel the same.
NO doubt, there were a lot of retards that did not understand the affect boxing gloves and ability to roll with punches has on one's power. However, the claim that Conor has no power is absurd, especially when he was just looking to score and conserve energy. If he loaded up on everything, he would have gassed earlier and Mayweather would have seen it from a mile a way. This is why he only loaded up on the counters and the body shots. Hitting an elite boxer in the head, especially one of Mayweather's caliber I'd like finding needle in a hay stack. If he went after Mayweather's, like Steve Collins vs Eubanks, he would have gassed earlier. I think he did wildly better than I expected but maybe that is because I have Mayweather so high on a pedestal, and being a boxer, I have seen many boxers spar with MMA fighters and they all get absolutely crushed in minutes. That was the first time that I have ever seen an MMA fighter even temporarily hold his own vs a boxer.

Well this is all very hard to tell seeing as he was fighting the best ever. Do we say Cain is of a low class because he gassed in one round versus Werdum? Do we say Aldo is of a lower class because he won the first two vs Max Holloway and then gassed?

It was imminent that McGregor would gas past the sixth and we saw very few people saying that he stood any chance of winning other than an early KO, even his most ardent supporters. the only thing of a low class about McGregor is his experience in the professional boxing ring. No fighter ever goes 12 in their debut....heck, even Lomachenko lost to Salido owing to a lack of professional experience.

Me personally, I'm not interested in seeing a sprinter run marathons against marathon runners. I would be in favor of six rounders, even against the elite boxers if the sport, but I think it would be futile to match him against the elite in 12 rounders before he gets a lot more experience.

The one boxing fight with him I want to see is Paulie as Paulie can't crack and isn't great defensively and it would be a fun fight and conor.wouldnt suffer great damage even in defeat.
10 rounds it would have to be though.

They landed less but landed more efficiently overall imo. Most of Conor's shots were glancing or had minimal impact. He had two or three pretty good punches in the fight but nothing remarkable. Conor's ability to land came mostly from Floyd actively being less defensive and intentionally reducing his output. By taking off the first three rounds Floyd and pushing forward he ensured that Conor would burn himself out.

Conor put forward a great effort and did better than I expected. He earned some respect from me with that.

However, his plan was horrible, he allowed himself to completely fall into Floyd's trap right away, his punches were overall inefficient/ineffective, and his defense was almost nonexistent. In the first three rounds it appeared that Floyd had some issues adjusting but even then he was never hurt or in any actual trouble.

With Pac it was clear that Floyd was very threatened by his ability and took no risks. In this fight he was comfortable enough to take any risk necessary with no real concern for defense.

Like I said I was very impressed with Conor. I just think people are letting their bias influence how they view this performance. He made a lot of mistakes in his plan and technique. He landed but not very cleanly or significant (excluding 2-3 punches) plus he fouled Floyd a lot. He did well but he was never giving Floyd more trouble than Pac or Berto.
Good post.

In fairness tho, what game plan would work versus Mayweather with Conor's attributes & tools? If he fought like Maidana, he would have gassed earlier. It also looked like many of his tactics, like dirty boxing, wearing on May in the clinch, getting bicep control & under hooks were rooted out instantaneously.

This is also true what you say about bias influencing people's thoughts on the fight. I suppose I may have a bias as I thought he would get absolutely fucking crushed answers put down very early and when he was even landing jabs or going to the body, not head hunting per normal or loading up on dat left hand rendered me shocked. He does certain things incredibly well, but when he tires, he comes apart like a ball of yarn. He also does other things not so well, like his clinch and inside game, would be toast against GGG if GGG got inside. However, with this fight, he has shown a tremendous ability to make large improvements in small amounts of time am deathly add weapons to his arsenal that were not there.

If people claim that he did absolutely nothing good and that atleast 4-6 rounds (1-5 & 8) were not debatable, then it seems they likely have an agenda. The 1 rounders are just as comical and inherently biased as the 49-1'ers.

<mma3>

if you really wanna see a fast/brutal knock out, then put Conor against the GGG vs Canelo loser, but only haters would do that.
I'm not so sure about that. I've no doubt they would win past six but I am highly skeptical, especially after what we saw, that they would win early.

As far as my experience from what I have seen in the gym, MMA vs boxers in the ring, I think anyone else that trains will say the same thing. Every time it is the same thing: MMA fighters swinging violently to the head, missing and getting beat the f up. Possibly this is why I was in such shock, as I have never seen Conor really use his jab (save for Diaz II), rarely seeim switchnhis stances up, rarely see him go to the body or look to score opposed to sevure a big knock out.

Last edited:
Floyd lost 5 rounds to Miguel Cotto by bringing fight to him in similar style fight, rather than running for 12 rounds.

He also scraped by Marcos Maidana twice, while easily beating Canelo, Corrales, etc. who were 10x the fighter Maidana was. He fought flat footed which is why so many punches "landed".

Boxing is scored on clean punching and effective aggression. Conor displayed neither and looked very amateurish. The people he suprised do not have a solid understanding of the sport from an outside perspective. This fight always set up for McGregor to win some rounds despite looking like trash.

Clinton Woods won 2 rounds off of Roy Jones Jr and James Toney won 0, I guess he was a tougher fight for him.

The way Floyd fought, indicated he thought nothing of McGregor's ability. Mc surprised him in 1st round, but after that it was ALL downhill. Floyd-Pacquiao was always in doubt as well as Floyd-Canelo...he didn't control those fights nearly as easily as he controlled Conor...although Conor landed alot more shots.

Floyd's intensity and form were 10/10 for Canelo/Pac and a solid 4 for McGregor and he still won easier than I expected. 20 other UFC fighters with that weight advantage and youth advantage vs that Mayweather would win rounds off of him. Doesn't make them great boxers.

Put Conor with any of the top 20-50 in 154 LBS currently, he probably doesn't see the 6th round in a single fight. Stop talking about how he did vs one of boxing's GOATs (at 130-135 specifically) at age 40, 2 years off, very weak puncher by boxing standards, etc. and use logic.

Conor knows this too, which is why he wanted Mayweather and if he ever returns he will fight Paulie (another feather fisted lightweight).

Two different sports, leave them that way.

The one boxing fight with him I want to see is Paulie as Paulie can't crack and isn't great defensively and it would be a fun fight and conor.wouldnt suffer great damage even in defeat.
10 rounds it would have to be though.
Agreed, bro. Khan would be fun too, owing to the fact they both are fast starters, then unravel and Dat Glass chin.

Call me crazy but I think Conor would actually do remarkably well in the amateurs owing to his style: long, great use of reach, great point scorer and is a hurricane for 6 rounds. That is what was most shocking about the whole ordeal as I thought he would come out and head hunt, over load on the left and just try and get the early KO, get his face countered off, gas and then the towel would be thrown in the 6th.

I never in one million years expected him to be jabbing the body and scoring with those soft quick feint jabs: that is Mayweather's game. If he learned a good rope game, learned how to fight in a shell like May, he would be a bear. In MMA tho, that stuff is useless as there is no give on the cage and you get chewed up, much like Conor does against his opponents when he backs them up and cuts them off.

He had a much bigger reach advantage than any of Floyd's previous opponents and was a southpaw. Even with those advantages he didn't manage to do shit to Floyd, and you still want to call this a moral victory? Get out of here.

Agreed, bro. Khan would be fun too, owing to the fact they both are fast starters, then unravel and Dat Glass chin.

Call me crazy but I think Conor would actually do remarkably well in the amateurs owing to his style: long, great use of reach, great point scorer and is a hurricane for 6 rounds. That is what was most shocking about the whole ordeal as I thought he would come out and head hunt, over load on the left and just try and get the early KO, get his face countered off, gas and then the towel would be thrown in the 6th.

I never in one million years expected him to be jabbing the body and scoring with those soft quick feint jabs: that is Mayweather's game. If he learned a good rope game, learned how to fight in a shell like May, he would be a bear. In MMA tho, that stuff is useless as there is no give on the cage and you get chewed up, much like Conor does against his opponents when he backs them up and cuts them off.

I wouldn't match Conor up with anybody with the speed and power of Khan.

I can't think of any winnable fights for Conor outside of Paulie and I would still bet on Paulie.
Hell a mayorga fight would be fun for me.

What I'm trying to say is I want to see him box again but against a winnable opponent.

Here you go bro: 2 seconds in is the body shot that hurt May.

Yes, you can provide gifs and illustrate your points when Conor was gassed and panic wrestling. That being said, he was still up or even on many people's score cards and had no answer when Mayweather would turtle up and turn his back. The hammer punches did look goofy, and he was reprimanded as such, tho I found it peculiar the ref never reprimanded Mayweather. In 1997 when I was boxing Golden Gloves, I was fighting a kid from NYC (forgot his name) and he stung me right where the ribs meet the stomach and I crumpled, turned my back and was then DQ'd, ruled as a TKO. Maybe that is owing to the fact it is in the amateurs, but I still find it peculiar occurrences like that happened so often and nothing was ever done about it.

All the credit to .Mayweather he is crafty as all get out but I still don't feel Conor got out skilled, but rather out witted.

Are you seriously saying McGregor's boxing skills are on par with Floyd Mayweather's??? Are you implying that Floyd won because he turned his back 5-10 times while Conor threw hammerfists to the back of the head, tried to get underhooks and take Floyd down?
Also, how can you even make a clear distinction here? Internalizing and applying a gameplan to perfection is part of a skillset.
Conor didn't gas because he didn't train cardio, Mayweather made him gas. Because that was his gameplan.
Don't act like Conor just needs to go running three more times and then he would beat Floyd...

Good post.

In fairness tho, what game plan would work versus Mayweather with Conor's attributes & tools? If he fought like Maidana, he would have gassed earlier. It also looked like many of his tactics, like dirty boxing, wearing on May in the clinch, getting bicep control & under hooks were rooted out instantaneously.

This is also true what you say about bias influencing people's thoughts on the fight. I suppose I may have a bias as I thought he would get absolutely fucking crushed answers put down very early and when he was even landing jabs or going to the body, not head hunting per normal or loading up on dat left hand rendered me shocked. He does certain things incredibly well, but when he tires, he comes apart like a ball of yarn. He also does other things not so well, like his clinch and inside game, would be toast against GGG if GGG got inside. However, with this fight, he has shown a tremendous ability to make large improvements in small amounts of time am deathly add weapons to his arsenal that were not there.

If people claim that he did absolutely nothing good and that atleast 4-6 rounds (1-5 & 8) were not debatable, then it seems they likely have an agenda. The 1 rounders are just as comical and inherently biased as the 49-1'ers.
I largely agree with this. However, I didn't really see him improving much round to round as much as I saw him digging deep picking shots to commit to fairly well. All his cards were on the table early on but he made them last as best as he could. That is no small feat.

As for rounds won...after seeing it a few times I'd give Conor 1-3 and maybe 8. He did well in 4 but I felt Floyd secured that one well. I didn't feel that 5 was debatable. 4 rounds out of 12 ain't bad.

Interesting to watch. Don't listen to the McGregor hating losers on here saying he was outboxed and "owned". McGregor landed more punches on Floyd than Pacman and many other professionals.

The main reason he lost was because he threw so many strikes and lacked the experience and gamesmanship of Mayweather.

He lost fair and square, no excuses from me, but stop pretending like it wasn't competitive and that he is a complete novice.

He threw plenty of punches in the later rounds, but to me he looked bewildered by Floyd's crowding his space bent over. Conor was just throwing pitter patter shots trying to figure where he could hit Floyd.

Also, has anyone else noticed that has kind of a forward leaning punch motion where his lead leg is almost straight? It's no wonder he gassed out so easily, he's literally trying to throw 100% arm punches. Not to mention there's zero power behind it. In MMA he could knock someone out with just his punch speed and short flurries, but he had no chance in boxing.

I'm just pushing back against false narratives.

I find it depressing that idiots are calling Conor a novice.

To be expected tbf, if he had gone to a decision and it was a draw people on here would still be mocking him for not beating an old man.

I'm just pushing back against false narratives.

I find it depressing that idiots are calling Conor a novice.
This is all I've done - push back on false narratives. However, I am somehow grouped in with Conor fan boys. I think McGregor is a breath of fresh air. He could easily cherry pick fights, fight once a year, pull out when he is banged up, reschedule when opponents fall out, fight much safer and win on points. It he always brings da noise and shows up to give us fans our money's worth. This was his hardest challenge, in making Floyd have an entertaining fight and he succeeded marvelously.

I've always said if you're a Conor hater, fret not, you will get your day to bask in the sunlight of his defeat because he is the first fighter since Saku that just fights everyone and gives no fucks. I mean for crying out loud, he jus thought Floyd Fucking Mayweather in his first fight! There is no "I'll take it slow and talk about where we go from here with my coaches", rather it is "what is the most impossible thing I could do? Let's do that". If he were Asian and was all humble, he would be unanimously wildly loved. How does The Korean Wonderboy get so much love,even in his losses, when he is essentially a cheap version of McGregor? I don't give a shit about his antics but love the way the home boi fights.

To be expected tbf, if he had gone to a decision and it was a draw people on here would still be mocking him for not beating an old man.
This.

I was actually kind of surprised that more people would not be just totally amped as the fight delivered and was very competitive. I knew some of the dedicated haters would be gif'ing and memeing their asses off but even surprised even some of them weren't like "Damn! McGregor can fucking box!".

I never gave McG a chance and was blown away by what I saw. My Dad hates him and even he was blown away. The only people saying "Floyd carried him. Conor I'd lower than a novice" have a massive bias and a ton of hate for him. Just research their history and 10/10 you will see they felt this way before the fight and even an 11 round clinic, followed by a 12th round KO would not get their approval. Nothin will ever be good enough for them, but we have known this since he predicted how he would beat Dustin and did so. For crying out loud, even Eduardo Melendez gives him props.

This.

I was actually kind of surprised that more people would not be just totally amped as the fight delivered and was very competitive. I knew some of the dedicated haters would be gif'ing and memeing their asses off but even surprised even some of them weren't like "Damn! McGregor can fucking box!".

I never gave McG a chance and was blown away by what I saw. My Dad hates him and even he was blown away. The only people saying "Floyd carried him. Conor I'd lower than a novice" have a massive bias and a ton of hate for him. Just research their history and 10/10 you will see they felt this way before the fight and even an 11 round clinic, followed by a 12th round KO would not get their approval. Nothin will ever be good enough for them, but we have known this since he predicted how he would beat Dustin and did so. For crying out loud, even Eduardo Melendez gives him props.

People are just going to keep spamming gifs for round 9 and 10 when Conor was exhausted and make it seem as if it was like that from round 1-10.

Back