Explaining BJJ to normal people

TroldeAnsigt

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey, I started BJJ not too lang ago after some time spent with striking. I really like it and want to have My first competition in the nearly future.

However not Many people know what it is, so I usually just say "its like wrestling" and leave it at that.
What do you say to people when they ask? Do you have any video you show them, like a really exciting grappling match that even normies will find interesting?

Im like you ever wanted to know what its like to smell like ten different guys balls at one time? Try a class of bjj.

I always say that it's like Judo but mostly on the ground and we try to strangle and rip arms off

It's like wrestling, in a gi, with chokes and joint locks.

"Me and a bunch of sweaty dudes roll around on the floor together and choke each other"

“It’s ground fighting - chokes, arm locks, and leg locks that are meant to submit the opponent.”

It's like judo but with less throws and more chokes.

"It's like gay sex... but without the sex. It's really awesome, you should try it sometime."

I get a lot of "It's like judo" comments, but I'm not even sure if people know what that is.
Everything japanese sounding andthey will think It's karate
<Prem973>

"A wrestling sport (in my native language it sounds better, but it's the best I can translate with)", "Like judo but more on the ground".

I get a lot of "It's like judo" comments, but I'm not even sure if people know what that is.
<Prem973>

I live in a country without a great martial arts tradition, but I think we are more or less all on the same boat.. I've had the classical "you still do that karate/kung fu/krav maga (sic) stuff" to a more sophisticated guy who I once told more in details about jiu jitsu, and asked me time later.. "So how's that Brazilian Judo going?".

Can't say he was really wrong after all :D

only ghey if you make eye contact

Tell them it's like Sambo minus the 1984 Larry Bird shorts and reaping.

I caught my mother describing it as wrestling where you hug with your legs years ago. Close enough for me

I always start with "im gay" and it all suddenly makes sense.

I caught my mother describing it as wrestling where you hug with your legs years ago. Close enough for me
There was a small time MMA event I was at years back, and the commentator described BJJ positions in a sexual way

Guy stuck in guard

Here you have Joe attempting to pound away from the missionary position

.... Made me realize how the outside world sees us, when in our heads we're doing this amazing thing.

<Prem973>

"It's like wrestling except with pajamas and you can choke people like on teh UFC."

All you have to say is that you like rolling around on the ground with hot, sweaty men.

Back