Explaining BJJ to normal people

To people who don’t know anything about martial arts:

It’s like wrestling, but instead of winning by pin you try to win by making them give up because you have a choke or you have one of their limbs caught in a lock that would let you break it if you wanted.
No, I don’t mean like WWE - well actually in some ways, but it’s for real I swear.

To people who know a little about martial arts:

It’s a hybrid mutant child of Judo and wrestling, where the most popular form of competition is decided by who can sit on their butt fastest and then knock the other guy onto his butt right before the buzzer.

My wife calls it rolling around on the ground with sweaty men in pajamas.

It's not the worst description in the world

To people who don’t know anything about martial arts:

It’s like wrestling, but instead of winning by pin you try to win by making them give up because you have a choke or you have one of their limbs caught in a lock that would let you break it if you wanted.
No, I don’t mean like WWE - well actually in some ways, but it’s for real I swear.

To people who know a little about martial arts:

It’s a hybrid mutant child of Judo and wrestling, where the most popular form of competition is decided by who can sit on their butt fastest and then knock the other guy onto his butt right before the buzzer.
I die inside everytime when I have to explain MMA to regular peeps

Usually it ends up with someone knowing dropping the ball on the new person and it goes like:

guy: oh you do martial arts? Which kind?

me: MMA

guy: ?

me: Its everything, hitting, wrestling, and all that fun stuff

guy: oh you mean you do UFC? Your trane UFC?

{<doc}

I die inside everytime when I have to explain MMA to regular peeps

Usually it ends up with someone knowing dropping the ball on the new person and it goes like:

guy: oh you do martial arts? Which kind?

me: MMA

guy: ?

me: Its everything, hitting, wrestling, and all that fun stuff

guy: oh you mean you do UFC? Your trane UFC?

{<doc}
Meh, that doesn’t bother me. I just smile and nod. I don’t do MMA but people associate Bjj with MMA.

Just say it's ground fighting or grappling.

UFC in bath robes

But seriously, I just explain that it's a system of body control that allows me to decide whether I will diffuse a situation, or brutally incapacitate someone.

But seriously, I just explain that it's a system of body control that allows me to decide whether I will diffuse a situation, or brutally incapacitate someone.
Were you wearing your fedora when you said this? Were you holding your katana?

Last edited:
I've come up with a few descriptions talking with co-workers over the years.

"Have you ever seen UFC? You know the boring part where they just hug each other on the ground? It's that."

"It's like if you weaponized cuddling."

"It's like if you watch two cats play fight, but biting isn't allowed."

"Basically it's full contact yoga."

Back