Opinion Extensive research on the human brain shows more damage due to COVID then originally thought

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
This extensive research study just completed shows more significant damage to the human brain then originally believed. People suffer from memory loss similar to someone significantly older. Have difficulty with making sound decisions. But worse for people who have been hospitalized.

"
From the very early days of the pandemic, brain fog emerged as a significant health condition that many experience after COVID-19.

Brain fog is a colloquial term that describes a state of mental sluggishness or lack of clarity and haziness that makes it difficult to concentrate, remember things and think clearly.

Fast-forward four years and there is now abundant evidence that being infected with SARS-CoV-2 – the virus that causes COVID-19 – can affect brain health in many ways.

In addition to brain fog, COVID-19 can lead to an array of problems, including headaches, seizure disorders, strokes, sleep problems, and tingling and paralysis of the nerves, as well as several mental health disorders.

Understand new developments in science, health and technology, each week​

Get newsletter
A large and growing body of evidence amassed throughout the pandemic details the many ways that COVID-19 leaves an indelible mark on the brain. But the specific pathways by which the virus does so are still being elucidated, and curative treatments are nonexistent.

Now, two new studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine shed further light on the profound toll of COVID-19 on cognitive health.

I am a physician scientist, and I have been devoted to studying long COVID since early patient reports about this condition – even before the term “long COVID” was coined. I have testified before the U.S. Senate as an expert witness on long COVID and have published extensively on this topic.

How COVID-19 leaves its mark on the brain​

Here are some of the most important studies to date documenting how COVID-19 affects brain health:

So does "Long Flu" as well in some cases..

So does "Long Flu" as well in some cases..
So what I have had the flu many time an was never hospitalized. Yet I know 4 people who where on a respirator for a week at least due to COVID. Not one who had to have a respirator from the flu. The point of this story is the results take from it what you want.

So what I have had the flu many time an was never hospitalized. Yet I know 4 people who where on a respirator for a week at least due to COVID. Not one who had to have a respirator from the flu. The point of this story is the results take from it what you want.
I've known several people that were hospitalized with influenza as well and I was sick in 2017 for close to a month from symptoms and complications from influenza as well. Yet when I got the Sweet and Sour Sniffles during the "Pandemic" I only missed one day at the gym so everyone is different.

I had covid bad a year ago. Coughing up ungodly amounts of liquid. They put me on Paxlovid and it worked right away. I feel back to normal now, maybe I was just one of the lucky ones <Fedor23>

It's almost like something that effects your ability to breathe causes hypoxic brain injuries, whudda thunk? This isn't really news, I've had a bunch of covid patients come out the other side changed just like any other health care worker has.

Back