Fairtex SP6 shin guards broke already! Recommendations for new ones?

JohnnyBoy78

8-bit kickboxer
@White
Reaction score
The other day I was later for class and rushing to get these on and they ripped. Gutted as I love these, the design of them means that they never move out of place or spin around when I’m kicking (unlike my previous Bad Boy shin guards).
I did consider buying another pair, but I bought these 7 months ago and thought they would’ve lasted longer.
I’ll probably get a bit more use out of these but it’s only a matter of time before they fray even more and fall apart.
Any recommendations for new ones?

I'm not sure if this is your mistake or really a quality issue.

I'm not sure if this is your mistake or really a quality issue.

I did wonder that and considered buying the same ones again. But they did start to fray at the back after only a couple of weeks. Not too big a deal though. I guess I just thought they'd be more durable :(

Just buy the basic Top King model. I've had mine for 1.5 years with no problems (including a month long training camp in Thailand).

Just buy the basic Top King model. I've had mine for 1.5 years with no problems (including a month long training camp in Thailand).

Thanks mate. I'll take a look at the Top King shin guards. Do you find that they stay in place or are they likely to spin around?

TBH this feels more like it's about promoting his youtube channel than breaking the Fairtex shinguards.

boon, twins, raja, topking. fairtex is overrated and overpriced IMO.

TBH this feels more like it's about promoting his youtube channel than breaking the Fairtex shinguards.
:( I did a review on YouTube not long after I first bought these and couldn't praise them enough. Only right that I update the review showing the damage. Just thought I'd share the vid here to show what I mean and ask for recommendations as I'll now be needing buy new ones

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm beginning to wonder that myself too, lol

fairtex are nike running shoes designed for fashion rather than running.

Boon are workboots.

Boon IMO makes the best gear. Its exaclty what the company was created with the goal in mind of function over fashion.

Boon are workboots.

Boon IMO makes the best gear. Its exaclty what the company was created with the goal in mind of function over fashion.
Definitely work boots over fashion! :D

Boon are workboots.

I disagree when it comes to Gloves. I'd put Fairtex at the top of the Thai brand tier and Boon second, with Twins third.

Shinguards I'd put Topking or Boon at the top, when I did muay thai I never bothered with Fairtex other than gloves and shorts. Steer well clear of Yokkao their gear is overpriced garbage and if you post a negative review they threaten to sue lmao.

I disagree when it comes to Gloves. I'd put Fairtex at the top of the Thai brand tier and Boon second, with Twins third.

Shinguards I'd put Topking or Boon at the top, when I did muay thai I never bothered with Fairtex other than gloves and shorts. Steer well clear of Yokkao their gear is overpriced garbage and if you post a negative review they threaten to sue lmao.

yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont think fairtex is bad, but I dont think they are the best either, and definitely over priced. They are similar to yokkao in that aspect. Yokkoas gear is just as good as any of the other top brands, but all your paying for is the name. Fairtex was known as the best brand in the 90s/2000s. I think their thai pads are better than their gloves. I really dont think there is much of a difference between any of the major thai brands at the end of the day they are all about the same, just pick a brand or a color or design. The only thing that seperates boon apart from the rest, is the are not into fashion at all, their entire company is based of function over fashion, and being the workboots of the muay thai gear world. after 2 years of extremely heavy use, my boon bag gloves barely had a rip in the leather, and the padding was worn out, but not to the point of being unusable. The only way a new company is going to make it now a days to be able to compete with the top thai brands, is if they make quality products, boon is relatively new, and able to stick around because of this.....everyone used to hate their old shinpad design because of the lack of foot protection, but those old shinpads were designed around the idea of, no instep protection is gonna make you kick with the shin instead of the foot. I also like who they use the double strap instead of hook and loop closure on the shinguards. blah blah blah...i talk to much <Lmaoo>

yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont think fairtex is bad, but I dont think they are the best either, and definitely over priced. They are similar to yokkao in that aspect. Yokkoas gear is just as good as any of the other top brands, but all your paying for is the name. Fairtex was known as the best brand in the 90s/2000s. I think their thai pads are better than their gloves. I really dont think there is much of a difference between any of the major thai brands at the end of the day they are all about the same, just pick a brand or a color or design. The only thing that seperates boon apart from the rest, is the are not into fashion at all, their entire company is based of function over fashion, and being the workboots of the muay thai gear world. after 2 years of extremely heavy use, my boon bag gloves barely had a rip in the leather, and the padding was worn out, but not to the point of being unusable. The only way a new company is going to make it now a days to be able to compete with the top thai brands, is if they make quality products, boon is relatively new, and able to stick around because of this.....everyone used to hate their old shinpad design because of the lack of foot protection, but those old shinpads were designed around the idea of, no instep protection is gonna make you kick with the shin instead of the foot. I also like who they use the double strap instead of hook and loop closure on the shinguards. blah blah blah...i talk to much <Lmaoo>

I'm not sure where you live but in Australia the prices go
Twins - Cheapest
Fairtex - 2nd
Boon - 3rd
Topking - 4th
Yokkoas - If you buy them you're an idiot or a beginner.

Fairtex have only recently started adding fashionable designs, I mean if you look at their Boxing only gloves like the BGV9 they have a few boring colours and that's about it. It's the BGV1 where Fairtex have tried to do what TopKing did and use crazy eye catching designs to get newbies to buy them.
Boon are just a boring brand. They have quality stuff but they'll never be a big gun if they stick with boring designs it's too late to become the next Cleto Reyes of the boring colour world.

I'm not sure where you live but in Australia the prices go
Twins - Cheapest
Fairtex - 2nd
Boon - 3rd
Topking - 4th
Yokkoas - If you buy them you're an idiot or a beginner.

Fairtex have only recently started adding fashionable designs, I mean if you look at their Boxing only gloves like the BGV9 they have a few boring colours and that's about it. It's the BGV1 where Fairtex have tried to do what TopKing did and use crazy eye catching designs to get newbies to buy them.
Boon are just a boring brand. They have quality stuff but they'll never be a big gun if they stick with boring designs it's too late to become the next Cleto Reyes of the boring colour world.

im in USA, Not surprising that Boon is expensive in australia as they are primarily a aussie brand I thought. They have pretty much copied K pads in design and function. Even when I very first started, I have never liked fairtex. I always liked twins, both their bag gloves and boxing gloves. Topking makes good boxing gloves with flashy designs, got my first pair of topking bag gloves and man do they suck compared to boons. Ill probably stick to twins for boxing gloves or bag gloves from here on out, i love boon bag gloves, not so much of their boxing glove, i dont like the huge wrist strap, I wanted to give raja a shot but have personally seen the velcro problems with the gloves first hand. Not too sure about the shin guards, i need a new pair and was considering raja.

Must admit I do love my fairtex gloves. Just the shin guards I'm a bit disappointed in

I used the normal Fairfax ones for like 6 years before I retired from Muay Thai.

Boon are workboots.

I don't know if I agree with this lol. Boon are workboots alright - I've tried them on and they are solid.

Fairtex gloves have better leather than anyone else imo. Also, Fairtex gloves are much smaller than all other thai brands which is good if you are a smaller practitioner/want to work on defence.

Back