Fave wrestlers/matches off the top of yr head(for old heads)

Spam On Rye

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Haven't watched wrestling since Stone Cold was on the way out and The Rock had just taken over but I do love to watch older matches every few years. Anyway, what's you old heads favorite wrestlers/matches from 80s to the Attitude era? I grew up with all the regionals so AWA, NWA, CWF, NJPW, CWA, WCCW, ECW, WWF, and WCW are all welcome. A few of mine to get the ball rolling.

Nature Boy
Big Van Vader
Rick Rude
Dr. Death Steve Williams
Jushin Thunder Liger
Bret Hart

1992 Royal Rumble
Hart vs Hart Wrestlemania X
Every Steve Williams & Terry Gordy vs. Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham
Every Flair vs Steamboat
Every Rude vs Steamboat

Last edited:
Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard I Quit Cage Match Starrcade '85
Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff Best Of 7 Series and the entire feud over the US title
Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant Wrestlemania III, the entire storyline starting with Andre's suspension and return as Giant Machine all the way to the title win twin referee angle on The Main Event is the greatest long term slow burn storyline in WWF history

Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard I Quit Cage Match Starrcade '85
Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff Best Of 7 Series and the entire feud over the US title
Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant Wrestlemania III, the entire storyline starting with Andre's suspension and return as Giant Machine all the way to the title win twin referee angle on The Main Event is the greatest long term slow burn storyline in WWF history
Loved Tully man. NWA really was the best wrestling on the planet in the mid 80s. I also remember being blown away by seeing Wrestlemania in a giant stadium as a kid. WWF was more about the spectacle but that's what you want in the biggest promotion on the planet. Awesome picks man. Gonna add them to my rewatch list.

I'm going to be all over the place with this one

The brawls between Dory and Terry vs Sheik and Abby in AJPW
Steiners vs Williams and Gordy in WCW
Savage vs Warrior, the MSG cage match and WM VII
Whenever any combination of Hansen, Kobashi, Kawada and Misawa got to work.
The Takada vs Vader trilogy
Bret Hart being excellence of execution against Perfect (SS and KotR), Piper (WM VIII), Davey Boy (SS) and with Owen.
Inoki vs Singh

I'll mark for Tenryu, Liger, Rude, Roberts, Flair, Midnight Express, Heavenly Bodies, Rock 'n' Roll Express, Shawn superkicking Marty through the barbershop window, Piper nailing Snuka with a coconut, Flair winning the Rumble, Jerry Lawler being the King of Memphis, the Von Erichs running Dallas, RVD's run with the television title, Dump Matsumoto striking fear in Japanese people, the Bad Street USA theme, Eddie Gilbert booking.

i started watching wrestling in the early to mid 80's in the mid south. some of my favorites (and before they went to wwf) were:

Master G
Jake Roberts
Butch Reed
Jim Duggan
Sheepherders
Freebirds
Dr. Death

Goldberg vs Hogan
Austin vs The Rock
Hogan / Hall / Nash - Bash at the Beach 96
Austin vs Michaels w Tyson
The Rock vs Mankind ( Austin )

Already mentioned was Magnum TA vs Tully and then Nikita.
Lawler piledriving fools in Memphis.
Any Midnight Express feud (especially vs the RnR Express) - Lane version is my favorite.
Midnight Rockers vs Buddy Rose and Doug Sommers.
Da Crusher vs Nick Bockwinkle
Maddog Vachon vs anyone really.
Sting vs Muta
The Crockett Cup
Early to mid 80's was some prime wrestling action.

Ambush Top Favorite Pro Wrestling Matches:
1. WM 20 HBK vs HHH vs Benoit
2. WM 10 HBK vs Razor
3. WM 13 Austin vs Bret Hart
4. WM 6 Hogan vs Warrior
5. Armageddon 2000 Angle vs Austin vs Rock vs Undertaker vs HHH vs Rikishi

Kevin vs Chris Adams WCCW
Von Erichs vs Freebirds WCCW
Fantastics vs Midnight Express WCCW
Michaels vs Razor Ladder Match
Various Bob Backlund matches. Although he looks like Howdy Doody, he was very good technically.

Bret Hart/123 Kid Raw 1993/4(?)
DDP/Eddie Guerrero Halloween Havoc 96
Bret/Austin Mania 13
Macho Man/Dynamite Kid Colliseum video I don't remember the year, first time I saw a superplex.
DDP/Sting Nitro 99 I think
Hart Foundation/Austin, Shamrock, LOD, Goldust Calgary Stampede 97

just off the top of my head, I'm only going pre-00s.

I'm going to be all over the place with this one

The brawls between Dory and Terry vs Sheik and Abby in AJPW
Steiners vs Williams and Gordy in WCW
Savage vs Warrior, the MSG cage match and WM VII
Whenever any combination of Hansen, Kobashi, Kawada and Misawa got to work.
The Takada vs Vader trilogy
Bret Hart being excellence of execution against Perfect (SS and KotR), Piper (WM VIII), Davey Boy (SS) and with Owen.
Inoki vs Singh

I'll mark for Tenryu, Liger, Rude, Roberts, Flair, Midnight Express, Heavenly Bodies, Rock 'n' Roll Express, Shawn superkicking Marty through the barbershop window, Piper nailing Snuka with a coconut, Flair winning the Rumble, Jerry Lawler being the King of Memphis, the Von Erichs running Dallas, RVD's run with the television title, Dump Matsumoto striking fear in Japanese people, the Bad Street USA theme, Eddie Gilbert booking.
Fuck this is some deep wrastlin' picks right here. Eclectic picks man. I experienced alot of these on VHS from my older cousins libraries. Rock and Roll Expresa and Lawler in Memphis are close to my heart. Also Lawler vs. Rude was some of the best matches ever imo. And Japan wrestling always amazed me. Stan Hansen was my intro there. My picks were mostly stuff I saw live but I agree with most of these. Feel like I need to make another list now.

i started watching wrestling in the early to mid 80's in the mid south. some of my favorites (and before they went to wwf) were:

Master G
Jake Roberts
Butch Reed
Jim Duggan
Sheepherders
Freebirds
Dr. Death
Sheepherders and Freebirds man! I remember when PS Hayes tripped over the microphone cord doing the moonwalk. One of my first wrestling memories.Dr. Death is a top 5 favorite for me. Was always saddened by the way his career ended in WWF.

Goldberg vs Hogan
Austin vs The Rock
Hogan / Hall / Nash - Bash at the Beach 96
Austin vs Michaels w Tyson
The Rock vs Mankind ( Austin )
Yeah Tyson in there was like a dream come true for me. Also, Stone Cold was my last favorite wrestler. Loved him ever since the Hollywood Blonde days.

Already mentioned was Magnum TA vs Tully and then Nikita.
Lawler piledriving fools in Memphis.
Any Midnight Express feud (especially vs the RnR Express) - Lane version is my favorite.
Midnight Rockers vs Buddy Rose and Doug Sommers.
Da Crusher vs Nick Bockwinkle
Maddog Vachon vs anyone really.
Sting vs Muta
The Crockett Cup
Early to mid 80's was some prime wrestling action.
Top shelf picks here. Midnight vs. RnR was a great rivalry. Also haven't heard the name Bockwinkle since my childhood. Gonna add his match vs. Saito to my list. Thanks bro.

2. WM 10 HBK vs Razor
Ambush Top Favorite Pro Wrestling Matches:
1. WM 20 HBK vs HHH vs Benoit
2. WM 10 HBK vs Razor
4. WM 6 Hogan vs Warrior
5. Armageddon 2000 Angle vs Austin vs Rock vs Undertaker vs HHH vs Rikishi
Great picks. WM 10 HBK vs Razor and WM 13 Austin vs Bret Hart are definitely going on the list. TY.

Kevin vs Chris Adams WCCW
Von Erichs vs Freebirds WCCW
Fantastics vs Midnight Express WCCW
Michaels vs Razor Ladder Match
Various Bob Backlund matches. Although he looks like Howdy Doody, he was very good technically.
All of these are worth a rewatch. I ruined my tape watching Michaels vs. Razor. So fucking good!. Backlund is a legend and I always loved his shtick. His comeback and match with Hart were some of my favorites.

Bret Hart/123 Kid Raw 1993/4(?)
DDP/Eddie Guerrero Halloween Havoc 96
Bret/Austin Mania 13
Macho Man/Dynamite Kid Colliseum video I don't remember the year, first time I saw a superplex.
DDP/Sting Nitro 99 I think
Hart Foundation/Austin, Shamrock, LOD, Goldust Calgary Stampede 97

just off the top of my head, I'm only going pre-00s.
Dude, Hart vs. 123 Kid was fucking amazing. Used to watch Kid in Global after school everyday. When he came in and had that showing against one of the best wrestlers on the planet, I felt proud of him. He was me. Great picks bro.

Fuck yes! The STF was my finishing move as a kid. Japanese wreslters were just different. I could rewatch Japan Supershow all day. This is going on the list.

Man, I remember having an old mattress on the floor set up as a ring as a kid. The STF was also my finisher back in the day, inspired by Chono. Pre-Yakuza gimmick Chono was a big favorite of mine and by far my favorite muskateer.

Back