Fave wrestlers/matches off the top of yr head(for old heads)

I had never heard this before so that magazine cover had me super confused at first lol

If you listen to the prank call, Richard is reading the list of wrestlers on the cover, and Sal calls in later with references to the cover.

Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard I Quit Cage Match Starrcade '85
Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff Best Of 7 Series and the entire feud over the US title
Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant Wrestlemania III, the entire storyline starting with Andre's suspension and return as Giant Machine all the way to the title win twin referee angle on The Main Event is the greatest long term slow burn storyline in WWF history

Loved Tully man. NWA really was the best wrestling on the planet in the mid 80s. I also remember being blown away by seeing Wrestlemania in a giant stadium as a kid. WWF was more about the spectacle but that's what you want in the biggest promotion on the planet. Awesome picks man. Gonna add them to my rewatch list.
Tully has to be on the mid-card Mount Rushmore.

Greg Valentine vs Tito Santana in WWF. The whole feud was tits.

Rick Rude vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect

Dr Death vs Kenta Kobashi

Always had a soft spot for Bryan Clark and Brian Adams. When they teamed up as Kronik, loved it despite the lame forced pot references. Terrible how things went in WWE. Should've been squashing teams for months before getting in there with Kane and Taker.

Greg Valentine vs Tito Santana in WWF. The whole feud was tits.

Rick Rude vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect

Dr Death vs Kenta Kobashi

Always had a soft spot for Bryan Clark and Brian Adams. When they teamed up as Kronik, loved it despite the lame forced pot references. Terrible how things went in WWE. Should've been squashing teams for months before getting in there with Kane and Taker.
Feels good to hear Rude and Dr. Death left such an impression on so many wrestling fans. They never got the recognition they deserve imo.

Feels good to hear Rude and Dr. Death left such an impression on so many wrestling fans. They never got the recognition they deserve imo.

Both were great, pretty much everywhere they went.

Rude got the most out of Warrior, apart from Savage probably.

Some of my favorite Rude matches:
The Royal Rumble and Beast Blast matches with Steamboat.
The steel cage match with Piper
The Summerslam match with Warrior.

Williams was top of the food chain in AJPW, UWF, WCW. Miracle Violence Connection is one of my favorite tag teams and I hold Gordy in equally high regard to Williams.

Both were great, pretty much everywhere they went.

Rude got the most out of Warrior, apart from Savage probably.

Some of my favorite Rude matches:
The Royal Rumble and Beast Blast matches with Steamboat.
The steel cage match with Piper
The Summerslam match with Warrior.

Williams was top of the food chain in AJPW, UWF, WCW. Miracle Violence Connection is one of my favorite tag teams and I hold Gordy in equally high regard to Williams.
I haven't seen the Rude vs. Warrior in forever. I need to fix that asap. My favorite Rude rivalry was Steamboat. Best match I ever saw live was Rude and Steamboat in a cage at a house show in the Baltimore arena. They wrestled for 50 min. and gave it their all. It was fucking amazing.

Death and Bam Bam were my fave. They just had this aura and I love me a good ol' fashioned Lariat.

Shit, now that I'm thinking of live shows, I went to maybe 30 and only saw 1 title change. Vader beat Ron Simmons at another house show in Baltimore for the WCW world title. It's crazy the effort these guys gave while it not even being recorded back then.

Just rewatched the Lawler vs Idol hair match from '87 (I think, I'm bad at remembering specific dates...or years for that matter). Bunch of legends, all of them.

Lawler didn't have an athletic background and wasn't built like a greek God but he threw the best punches in the business and could sell and bump with the best of them.
Idol was a pioneer, had the look and could talk. Rich, awesome as a face and as a heel.
And Lance Russell, one of the best ever.

Always been a Jake Roberts fan and was stoked when he headed for WCW. Didn't live up to expectations but grand opening.

i first got into wrestling when i moved to texas and i saw midsouth. it was the days of dibiase, duggan, jake, hercules hernande, etc. anyway, there was a guy that came in called the snowman. i guess he was the replacement for jyd who left for wwf just before i started watching.

anyway, he got a monster push when he came in. but i guess he didn't have the jyd magic, so it ended pretty quickly. anyway, i have this memory of a match which i am completely certain is incorrect. he was feuding with jake and my horrible memory recalls one night jake and then every oter bad guy i the company basically coming out and giving him their finisher on the concrete and he was never heard from again. i wonder how far off that is from reality? oh well

Flair vs. Nitika Great Americna Bash
Andre vs. Kamala Maple Leaf Gardens
Jimmy Valiant vs. Assasin #2. The unmasking
The Great Kabuki vs. Jimmy Valiant
Abdulah vs. ? in Hamilton in the early 80s. My gradndad used to take me to the matches and I remember being terrified of him.

There are way too many to list. I still remember the match with hogan and macho man vs andre and DiBiase, when Elizabeth rips of her skirt to distract them.

Razor vs michaels ladder match was great
Hogan vs warrior was good(warrior was my favorite at the time)
Undertaker vs mankind fued was great, crazy shit happened
The rock vs mankind also.
Hardy boys vs edge & Christian were some of the best matches
Kanes debut was insane.
NWO really changed things. You tuned in every week to see who was going to join. Scott steiner turning might have been even more surprising than hogan.

The British Bulldogs
Mr Perfect (and of course his earlier AWA work)

The Savage vs Jake match from the Nov 1986 Saturday Night's Main Event is an amazing match.
Their early 1987 sequel (an International taping of WWF Challenge) is a must see.

Both Matches between the Bulldogs and Dream Team on SNME are classics as well (pre-WM II and Oct 1986 best 2 out of 3 falls match)

A great comedy match from that era is Andre and JYD vs The Funks and Jimmy Hart (2 against 3 match).
It's in Toronto with the old ramp and is really enjoyable (Jimmy steals the show).

Back