Movies Favourite R Film of 1998

Favourite R Film of 1998

• Total voters
Some mothafuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill

That movie was the funniest I have ever seen in the theater. Everyone was losing their shit.
That's what I meant I never heard a theater like that since. The Frank's n beans and the scene where he got arrested had entire place.going nuts.

That's what I meant I never heard a theater like that since. The Frank's n beans and the scene where he got arrested had entire place. Going nuts.
My best friend was kicking the seat in front of him uncontrollably. The dude in front of him turns around like wtf? They ended up hugging and we watched the rest of the movie laughing our asses off.
Great double date.

That movie was the funniest I have ever seen in the theater. Everyone was losing their shit.
My baseball travel team played a tournament in Canada when this came out. We went to the theater and we were all howling throughout the movie. Nobody else in the theater laughed at all. Shit was weird. I always thought Canucks had a good sense of humor but I guess not these ones

My baseball travel team played a tournament in Canada when this came out. We went to the theater and we were all howling throughout the movie. Nobody else in the theater laughed at all. Shit was weird. I always thought Canucks had a good sense of humor but I guess not these ones
I saw Team America in a theater in small town Northen California. People got up and walked out! They clearly had no idea what they were getting into.

Those are all from 1998?

Wow, what a year that was...

My choice was "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas". I was a pothead at the time and that movie just hit different. I still have it on VHS.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Rounders just because I was REALLY big into poker when it came out.

Saving Private Ryan is the clear favorite for me here

Rushmore when I was a teen and Lebowski is my current pick. The writing is just phenomenal. Also love Thin Red Line and hate Spielbergs pro war schlock.
Yeah I'd go with Lebowski most likely although watching Rushmore again more recently I think it holds up very well, better IMHO than the following Anderson stuff of the 00's. I just think his style is well suited to having a viewpoint of adolescent characters were there being self absorbed is more a natural part of growing up. The latter stuff from Moonrise Kingdom onwards I think shifts more to a fantasy kind of setting were the adults are much less self absorbed.

Lebowski I think you could argue has spawned its own sub genre of absurdist neo noir LA thrillers recently, Altmans Long Goodbye in the 70's maybe was halfway there but I think Lebowski is really what hit a formula which stuff like Inherent Vice, The Nice Guys, Under Silver Lake, etc followed.

Private Ryan I think did have a massive impact in terms of shifting Hollywood away from anti war nam films and towards pro war WW2 films, honestly I think it had a pretty big impact in terms of helping foster American neoconservatism generally.

Last edited:
tough call between Mary and Rushmore but I went with Rushmore because the more I watched it, the funnier it got to me. Mary was just hilarious from the jump.

Yeah I'd go with Lebowski most likely although watching Rushmore again more recently I think it holds up very well, better IMHO than the following Anderson stuff of the 00's. I just think his style is well suited to having a viewpoint of adolescent characters were there being self absorbed is more a natural part of growing up. The latter stuff from Moonrise Kingdom onwards I think shifts more to a fantasy kind of setting were the adults are much less self absorbed.

Lebowski I think you could argue has spawned its own sub genre of absurdist neo noir LA thrillers recently, Altmans Long Goodbye in the 70's maybe was halfway there but I think Lebowski is really what hit a formula which stuff like Inherent Vice, The Nice Guys, Under Silver Lake, etc.

Private Ryan I think did have a massive impact in terms of shifting Hollywood away from anti war nam films and towards pro war WW2 films, honestly I think it had a pretty big impact in terms of helping foster American neoconservatism generally.
I agree, Rushmore is still fantastic. I just can't relate to the Max Fischer/Catcher In The Rye shtick the way I could when I was 15. The soundtrack is still amazing too.

I kinda gave up on modern films about 10 years ago so not familiar with the newer "LA" films. I do love Altman though and PTA is one of the last directors I still tune in for.

Yeah the contrast between SPR and Thin Red Line is always shocking to me. The way Spielberg portrays the German soldiers is almost comical. I'll take Mallick's very human anti-war film over the propaganda any day.

I agree, Rushmore is still fantastic. I just can't relate to the Max Fischer/Catcher In The Rye shtick the way I could when I was 15. The soundtrack is still amazing too.

I kinda gave up on modern films about 10 years ago so not familiar with the newer "LA" films. I do love Altman though and PTA is one of the last directors I still tune in for.

Yeah the contrast between SPR and Thin Red Line is always shocking to me. The way Spielberg portrays the German soldiers is almost comical. I'll take Mallick's very human anti-war film over the propaganda any day.
The ironic thing is Spielberg has spoke out against his cartoonish takes of the era with the Indy films but for me its actually his "serious" stuff I have more of an issue with. At least Indy your never in any doubt this is reality plus I think Indy himself is a more interesting character IMHO. Private Ryan though for me is a shmaltzy nationalistic blockbuster trying to pretend its a realistic war story.

I would definitely recommend Inherent Vice, its darker and more obtuse than Lebowski but I think of a similar quality, very very funny when it wants to be as well. Nice Guys is quite a bit broader similar to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but still I think very good, shows you Gosling is actually a very good comic actor. Under Silver Lake is a bit more hipsterish with its references and generally more focused on atmosphere but still I think definitely worth seeing.

I'm guessing there must be lesser stuff being made on a similar theme but honestly Lebowski style films seem to have a very high hit rate to them, good way to watch more recent cinema.

Rounders just because I was REALLY big into poker when it came out.
Same. I played 2-4 times/week through the mid 90s. It was before Texas Hold'em got popular so it was unusual (for me at least) so see a movie based on poker. Worm might have been the most unlikable yet likable character ever.
Something About Mary would be a close second I think, I can still watch it today and laugh my ass off.

8261e918-a6b1-4995-8aa9-457e1ee7d5b7_text.gif

Back