Fedor vs Bader

All I’m saying is if he retired after the Henderson loss I would not think of him any differently then I do now. The wins after the Hendo loss didnt add anything to his legacy, the losses added wear and tear on him. I guess he was getting paid tho..

I personally think Fedor should have retired after the Rogers fight at 32 years old the way GSP did but when you have a family to feed its hard to turn down a million dollar check.

That was hard to watch. Just shows you that you can't just go forever, tank is empty. Forever Fedor thank you GOAT baddest mf I've ever witnessed.

Not one iota.

He's fucking 46.
Yes, but...

Seeing him get totally dominated and controlled on the ground in a sustained beating was not a nice optic to go out on, espcially by an old upper- mid tier fighter like Bader. It was like the Bigfoot fight but with a guy his size.

The flash KO losses at least kept some element of the myth alive

Send off was great though but better matchmaking would have been better.

I personally think Fedor should have retired after the Rogers fight at 32 years old the way GSP did but when you have a family to feed its hard to turn down a million dollar check.
Oh you think he should have retired before he lost? lol Way to go out on a limb.

You could say that about alot of guys

Good thread!

I went through it all and it teached me that Fedor was already out of his prime when he lost for the first time at age 34, and it was because he served in the army and was a Sambo practitioner, as opposed to other combatants who just miraculously appeared at their level and had no mileage whatsoever - so in theirr case it's absolutely fine when they still go strong in their 30s. Therefore, Fedors loses post 2010 don't count and shall be ignored.

Also, Ryan Bader was super green and young at age 27 when Jones destroyed him

All fighters wanna test themselves and go off on a high note but that's when the promotion needs to step in. Fedor Is too washed up to fight anybody near the top 10, 15 or 20

It's hilarious how people invented Fedor was out of his prime at 34.

As a HEAVYWEIGHT

The sport just got better. Pride was a joke.
2 of the guys he lost to in Strikeforce were PRIDE fighters <45>
I love the “PRIDE was total bullshit, Fedor lost when better fighters showed up who in actuality were just other guys from PRIDE” argument.

2 of the guys he lost to in Strikeforce were PRIDE fighters <45>
I love the “PRIDE was total bullshit, Fedor lost when better fighters showed up who in actuality were just other guys from PRIDE” argument.
fuck the haters. Did you end up going to the fight? That was by far the coolest retirement I’ve ever seen!

fuck the haters. Did you end up going to the fight? That was by far the coolest retirement I’ve ever seen!
No, unfortunately it just didn’t work for me to take time off and travel. It would’ve been a lot of deja vu, as I was at the first Fedor-Bader fight which was also at the Forum, and that was another tough night to be a Fedor fan. The first time I ever got to see him fight was against Mir, and that was the most fun I’ve ever had at any MMA card.

I thought the retirement send off for Fedor was great, and it’s sad that the UFC doesn’t do that for guys like Anderson Silva. Fedor seemed moved by it, and happy to close the door on his career.

No, unfortunately it just didn’t work for me to take time off and travel. It would’ve been a lot of deja vu, as I was at the first Fedor-Bader fight which was also at the Forum, and that was another tough night to be a Fedor fan. The first time I ever got to see him fight was against Mir, and that was the most fun I’ve ever had at any MMA card.

I thought the retirement send off for Fedor was great, and it’s sad that the UFC doesn’t do that for guys like Anderson Silva. Fedor seemed moved by it, and happy to close the door on his career.
100% agree. That is how the legends deserve to go out.

He was beating the best in the world while Bader was probably at college keg parties (no disrespect to him)
No, Bader was doing D1 wrestling at the time which is very tough on your body. Ask Ben Askren who had an 80 year old's back in his mid 30s.

Fedor also took an over 3-year layoff from MMA and Combat Sambo so he's had some rest/recovery periods that Bader hasn't.

This is so stupid. Fedor was an amazingly dangerous, well rounded, small HW who dominated and reined against some serious competition. He fell in love with his power and his hips became weak just after pride. Anyone who was watching MMA from the early days can see how fighters from that era declined. They ran the gauntlet in the premier org and it was amazing while it lasted. Fedor was skillled enough to make some big waves after he had lost some dimensions to his game and became softer, but the guys from that era had a lot of mileage very early on and it took its toll. It’s absolutely ridiculous and stupid to claim that this bader fight meant anything at all. Fedor is a shell of his former self and has been for a long long time. He was almost unanimously considered the best of all time by the entire community for many years. the narrative from newer fans that recent fedor was more or less the same as prime fedor and that he was never the best of the best, is revisionist history. Pitting primes against fighters from different eras is just conjecture so it doesn’t mean much.
Watch green DC vs Bigfoot. Watch 34 yr old Fedor vs Bigfoot.
Pride was NOT the premier organization. It never was.
Hong Man Choi. Mic drop.

WAR FEDOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All fighters wanna test themselves and go off on a high note but that's when the promotion needs to step in. Fedor Is too washed up to fight anybody near the top 10, 15 or 20
Agreed. That fight never should have happened.

No, Bader was doing D1 wrestling at the time which is very tough on your body. Ask Ben Askren who had an 80 year old's back in his mid 30s.

Fedor also took an over 3-year layoff from MMA and Combat Sambo so he's had some rest/recovery periods that Bader hasn't.

Not sure if serious

Good thread!

I went through it all and it teached me that Fedor was already out of his prime when he lost for the first time at age 34

33 years old actually + he lost in the FIRST ROUND.

He was completely out of prime at 33 years old, obviously.

<36>

Back