Flu Outbreak

A lot of this would be helped if people who must go out sick just goddamn wore a little mask. But it's not fashionable to not spread your illness, I guess.

Asians have the right idea, here in Canada you'll see a decent amount of them with surgical masks on. The hospital type. That or they are zombies trying to hide their true intentions.

Asians have the right idea, here in Canada you'll see a decent amount of them with surgical masks on. The hospital type. That or they are zombies trying to hide their true intentions.
I'm okay with a zombie outbreak, but not the flu.

Ever hear of a flu shot?

Every year the flu grows stronger because of the flu shot.

Then the following year they have to make the flu shot stronger.

Then the flu adapts and gets stronger

It's never ending until you stop making the virus stronger with the shots.

<JerryWWF>
The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

The annoying thing is I have to interact with filthy human beings so I can get sick once a year just so I can build my immune system up to the point where I don't keel over at the age of 45 from whatever superbug a bunch of over-medicated assholes (some of the aforementioned filthy humans I work with are a subset of this group) helped create.

This was a tough year for the flu where I am. I got the shot this year and still caught the flu, but it wasn't a particularly bad case.

This is why I've never had a flu shot and never will. Flu shots are a money making conspiracy. I've seen the news say it's 10% effective. Why would I pay money to purposely give myself the flu? Stupid. Mmmmmmm. Love me some mercury in my veins.

Flu shots are a money making conspiracy.

Negative. The healthcare industry makes way more money from Influenza-related hospitalizations and treatments:

"Vaccination with inactivated trivalent vaccine would save approximately $25 per person while resulting in a net gain of ∼3.2 quality-adjusted hours relative to providing treatment with the neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir. A quality-adjusted hour is a fraction of a quality-adjusted life-year, which is the equivalent of 1 year lived in perfect health. Treatment with oseltamivir was associated with an incremental cost-effectiveness of approximately $27,619 per quality-adjusted life-year gained relative to providing supportive care. Vaccination is cost-saving relative to providing either treatment with oseltamivir or providing supportive care alone."

Love me some mercury in my veins.

Someone doesn't understand the difference between methyl mercury and ethyl mercury...or even just basic chemistry for that matter.

main-qimg-5e97930dd01b36220c64d096fcd4ec1a

mercury-hydrogen-bomb.jpg

<JerryWWF>
The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

<VinceShock>

This is why I've never had a flu shot and never will. Flu shots are a money making conspiracy. I've seen the news say it's 10% effective. Why would I pay money to purposely give myself the flu? Stupid. Mmmmmmm. Love me some mercury in my veins.

Well, I don't pay for it. I lease space in a hospital building, so they require everyone, including the doctors, the have the shot, and it's provided at no charge. Not buying the conspiracy angle, but it's based upon a guess, it's not meant to protect against every strain of flu.

Negative. The healthcare industry makes way more money from Influenza-related hospitalizations and treatments:

"Vaccination with inactivated trivalent vaccine would save approximately $25 per person while resulting in a net gain of ∼3.2 quality-adjusted hours relative to providing treatment with the neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir. A quality-adjusted hour is a fraction of a quality-adjusted life-year, which is the equivalent of 1 year lived in perfect health. Treatment with oseltamivir was associated with an incremental cost-effectiveness of approximately $27,619 per quality-adjusted life-year gained relative to providing supportive care. Vaccination is cost-saving relative to providing either treatment with oseltamivir or providing supportive care alone."

Someone doesn't understand the difference between methyl mercury and ethyl mercury...or even just basic chemistry for that matter.

main-qimg-5e97930dd01b36220c64d096fcd4ec1a

mercury-hydrogen-bomb.jpg
Not to mention vaccine don’t necessarily have that preservative in it at all

Your post is 100% fake news Russian propaganda.

My flu shot was free, covered by insurance.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm#effectiveness

“While vaccine effectiveness can vary, recent studies show vaccine reduces the risk of flu illness by about 40% to 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are like the vaccine viruses. Similar reductions against hospitalization have been observed too.“

And that’s all I have time to counter, but please, get educated on the topic before posting.

It's always adapting is what I meant and the flu shot is part responsible.

Seems every year they have to tweak the shot in accordance to what the virus brings to the table

It's not the flu that's "adapting" because of the flu shot, it's that there are many strains of the flu and the CDC has trouble predicting which strain will be prevalent in a given season. This year they did a particularly bad job at predicting so the shot was less effective than usual.

They've admitted as much and are working to improve the process. There's literally no rational reason to believe that the flu is adapting because of the flu shot. That's just anti-vaxxer, anti-science nonsense.

<JerryWWF>

Dude spanish flu... gtfo with the ‘influenza pendemic’ bs name. I agree with everything else.

Ever hear of a flu shot?

Every year the flu grows stronger because of the flu shot.

Then the following year they have to make the flu shot stronger.

Then the flu adapts and gets stronger

It's never ending until you stop making the virus stronger with the shots.

The lack of knowledge on Sherdog never ceases to amaze me. There is a difference between a bacteria and a virus.

Viruses kill some people whose immune systems can't recognize and deal with them fast enough. The people it doesn't kill live to breed and their offspring are likely to be able to survive the flu. The shot provides the immune system a dead or weakened form of viruses that allow the immune system more time to eliminate it from the blood stream and it leaves antibodies in the blood stream for when a full strength virus is encountered. The flu shot basically gives an early warning. The viruses included in the shot have to be decided well in advance and an unknown virus might show up after the ingredients for that season's shot have been decided.

Getting the flu shot is like lifting lighter weights to train to lift heavier weights. Like running a few miles a day to prepare to run a marathon. It trains the immune system to deal with viruses it might encounter later.

Best way to not get the Flu.

- Wash hands frequently.
- Stay away from people that have flu.
And stay away from kids, they are always fucking sick and they hands are sticky

The lack of knowledge on Sherdog never ceases to amaze me. There is a difference between a bacteria and a virus.

Viruses kill some people whose immune systems can't recognize and deal with them fast enough. The people it doesn't kill live to breed and their offspring are likely to be able to survive the flu. The shot provides the immune system a dead or weakened form of viruses that allow the immune system more time to eliminate it from the blood stream and it leaves antibodies in the blood stream for when a full strength virus is encountered. The flu shot basically gives an early warning. The viruses included in the shot have to be decided well in advance and an unknown virus might show up after the ingredients for that season's shot have been decided.

Getting the flu shot is like lifting lighter weights to train to lift heavier weights. Like running a few miles a day to prepare to run a marathon. It trains the immune system to deal with viruses it might encounter later.

Guy this is a mma forum,

Back