Forearms?

beat...people...up?

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have small wrists (thanks genetics) and pretty small forearms. I think this limits me a lot in my lifts and of course my BJJ, since grip strength is very important. I do lift weights, which should in theory train grip on its own; maybe I'm cheating myself by using hook grip for heavy deadlifts, but I don't use straps or anything.

Has anyone else grown their forearms? If so, how?

Levering, various pinching(plates, hubs, blocks), wrist rollers, grippers(vulcan/CoC), hammer curls, towel pull ups, gi pull ups, Kroc rows, fat grips on all pulling exercises, bouldering/climbing......

Pretty easy to over do it and develop some tendonitis if you jump into things too quickly. Save your dedicated grip work for end of your lifting sessions.

I never really grew bigger forearms but developed some really good grip strength working as a mason tender back in the day. I agree with the farmer carries for sure, and I really like kettlebell snatches, getups, side presses, etc for grip and forearm work too

~DaViD~

Levering, various pinching(plates, hubs, blocks), wrist rollers, grippers(vulcan/CoC), hammer curls, towel pull ups, gi pull ups, Kroc rows, fat grips on all pulling exercises, bouldering/climbing......

Pretty easy to over do it and develop some tendonitis if you jump into things too quickly. Save your dedicated grip work for end of your lifting sessions.

Cool thanks. I can definitely incorporate a few of these at the end of my lifting sessions. I also just got some grippers that I keep at home and use every other day (4 x 10 slow release).

I used to do the CoCs, towel pull ups but in my experience only a few things have had a noticeable difference for me.

Pulling overhand on all of my deads until I have to switch, especially painful on RDLs.

Doing Ed Coans assistance lift referenced in this video. Not sure of an official title, I called them bar holds. Anyways, I started 3x30 sec each, now I program 4x30 sec, with as much weight as I can tolerate.

i know a guy who is a stove fitter. really small guy. looks like he has never lifted anything in his life. his handshake without a warning is brutal. so you don't really need big arms for strength.

anyway, i had a size boost from heavy clubbell work which is also great for strength in the whole hands/wrists/arms/shoulder chain. so i think forearm and also neck size reacts well on high reps. that's my own experience. strength is another thing.

i had the best strength gains in hand strength from greasing the grove with towel pull ups and just recently upped my pull ups volume again and experienced a improvement in pinch strength just from doing more pull ups.

Friend I feel so much more you can only increase the forearm with the excision the extras have no way.
But small wrist is very good for stunting in Jiu Jitsu.
Good equipment to increase the strength in the footprint in jiu jitsu and this below you put it on your weight bar.

eE1KZKCfjWE.jpg

Last edited:
Like a couple of guys that have pointed out about the manual labor jobs, you can work on your grip every day in some way. Don't go until failure and you will be surprised how much stronger your grip gets. Having a pair of grippers nearby and use them once an hour for half the amount of your max reps will build grip strength as an example.

This stuff is simple yet brutal in a good way.

Last edited:
I found a site called pronhub which helped. Forearms like popeye!

Back