Foxcatcher Movie

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This has got to be the highest profile, and best reviewed, film ever to involve grappling as a main subject. Surprised there's not more discussion about it since the full trailer came out last week. Movie comes out in three more weeks.

For those who don't know, the movie is about a true story, an incredibly shocking incident involving the US wrestling team in the mid 1990s, and in particular the Schultz brothers.

[YT]8361stZ8n0w[/MEDIA]

Reviews have been extremely strong:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/foxcatcher

Definitely interested in seeing it. The story is crazy.

Looking forward to this! I barely recognized Steve Carrell.

Can't wait for it. I remember when the tragedy happened.

I saw it at the Toronto festival. It's gonna rate up there for best of the year.

That looks great.

Lots of wrestling scenes in it?

yes and they looked legit, but im the wrong person to breakdown grappling.

This makes me happy.

Step 1: Tell wife taking her to Tatum movie
Step 2: Laugh inside as I enjoy real life wrestling story
Step 3: not get laid that night

This makes me happy.

doesnt matter had grappling

doesnt matter had grappling

Naturally.

I see it as payback for some of the "camouflaged chick flicks" if suffered through (you know the ones that look like comedies, with the occasional topless lady, but are in actuality a love story)

Jesus, I didn't recognize Carrell at all until it said his name.

I have no idea what this is about. All I know is the name Shultz. Will see this.

I heard that Steve Carrel was terrifying in this

I hadn't heard of this movie. Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

This makes me happy.

Substitute wife for GF, and we're on the same page.

TS.

I saw articles about the movie months ago and was instantly intrigued. I remember watching the standoff unfold on live TV as a kid, I had no idea till recently that wrestling was in any way related to what unfortunately transpired.

It's getting pretty rave reviews, so I'm pretty hyped about it.

Another trailer. Tatum's physicality and technique looks pretty sick too. Intense looking movie. I'm actually not that familiar with the real story, so I might stay away until I see the movie

This movie has been completed since 2013, just fucking release it already!!!

fyi this is really the Mark Schultz story. Most of it takes place in the late 80's. They also throw in a funny UFC goof that's inconsequential (watching the famous Goodridge crucifix KO win from UFC 8 on TV in 1988).

I wrote this in a movie thread after seeing it:

Foxcatcher (2014) 8.5/10

I added spoiler tags just in case (I tried to avoid them in the first place). It was very good overall.

Lives up to the hype and I found myself completely engrossed in the world of amateur wrestling. I only have a surface level understanding of the sport but the film felt very authentic aside from a few goofs that don't really matter (such as Mark Schultz watching UFC 8 on TV in 1988!...the famous Goodridge elbow crucifix, which got audible gasps from the audience lol and they also mention in another scene that they had 90 minutes to cut 12 pounds). Aside from that both Tatum and Ruffalo were very convincing physically as wrestlers. This is really Tatum's film and he does a very good job, Carrel is also excellent, though I feel that Ruffalo really stole the show with a more understated performance.

Carrel and Tatum's performances border on caricature but it works as there is a strong dark comedy element in an otherwise cold film.

My only real criticism is that this is really a movie about Tatum's Mark Schultz (I believe it's based on his memoirs) during 1987-88. His relationship with Carrel and Ruffalo is well developed, however in an already slightly overlong film they could have better expanded on the interaction between Ruffalo and Carrel (i'm not going to get into the history since it's spoiler and most people already know what happens). There are some hints and to be clear I wasn't looking for any motive, still the film jumps from 1988 to 1996 in the last 5 minutes without even informing the audience of the time change.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and it's a natural for the sherdog audience. There is a brief bookend involving the UFC. I'm already looking forward to seeing it again when the blu-ray comes out.

Would watch! Might be my first time in a movie theater since the first J.J. Abrams "Star Trek" movie LOL. Now if only I could scrounge up a date to go with me...

Back