France to Ban Showing the World Cup in Public for Fear of Terrorism

Should France ban the World Cup on big screens?

• Total voters

dontsnitch

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
France bans showing the World Cup on big screens for fear of terrorism.

421d6f4af424fdd2b3a15c829f13804c8e9df9a3.jpg

• The French interior ministry said all fan zones would be 'completely forbidden'
  • France used the zones in Euro 2016 to house thousands of supporters for games
  • But after a spate of terror attacks across Europe the risk is seen as too great
  • Some minor French cities are planning on defying the ban and setting up zones
  • Authorities in France have warned them that if they do it is 'their responsibility'

According to Interior Minister Gerrard Collomb:

I remind all publicly-elected officials of the fact that “big screen” zones are completely forbidden in public spaces. In the current climate of terrorist threats, the security procedures used at the last European Championship must be deployed again, with the same degree of efficiency.

The threat continues to exist and therefore it is necessary to to protect the French…We have foiled 32 attempted attacks since the beginning of the state of emergency.

---

I understand being practical, but this doesn't settle well with me. It reminds me of Times Square on New Years. In canceling such an event, does it not send the message that coercion works, that there is a real threat, and that we must change our traditions to prevent terrorism?

I think that there is some merit to the ban, and this fact alone should sound some alarm bells.

I added a poll for fun.

I avoid large crowds and events, so I can't really knock it

lol i wonder what religious texts give the authority and will be used today and tomorrow and yesterday in some terror attack against the opposing group? Not like some countries in the world also have legal system set up based on this religious text.......

Racist.

But what the hell do I know, I'm not in France.

Also, soccer sucks.

Goddamn Mennonites at it again

This is why they should have voted for Le Pen.

I voted no, but I meant yes because you know.. soccer sucks.

I understand being practical, but this doesn't settle well with me. It reminds me of Times Square on New Years. In canceling such an event, does it not send the message that coercion works, that there is a real threat, and that we must change our traditions to prevent terrorism?

I think that there is some merit to the ban, and this fact alone should sound some alarm bells.

I added a poll for fun.

Of course it works. I think it would be quite a weird time to live in, where killing people by the hundreds wouldn't work.

The whole hard-line method of "not giving into terrorist demands" has already been proven a miserable failure, anyway. They'll commit to attacks anyway, because it's the idea of Islamic jihad that motivates them to commit them, not the Western response. They don't give a damn about what the West thinks of them. They kill themselves by the thousands in the Middle East, too. Not because of what Donald Trump thinks of it, or Emmanuel Macron, but because of what Allah thinks of it.

At this point, all you can do is attempt to pre-empt the attacks, and in cases where pre-emption has turned out to be a failure (such as France, due to horrendous immigration policy), the government will inevitably move to limiting people's capacity to act in public, much like they did after 9/11.

This should be a message to any person who appreciates the freedom they have. Your liberties will all gradually be taken away if you don't take care of your neighbourhood. Because in the end, the society will protect itself from instability. It will not protect the people's freedom at its own expense.

Let a pack of wild animals into the zoo, and soon we will all wish that we were living in the cages.

Sorry I voted snowflake just because it was an option.

I’m 100% against the ban too.

sad to see what leftism has done to europe. shame so many people want this in north america aswell

This is what the French people voted for, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:
Of course it works. I think it would be quite a weird time to live in, where killing people by the hundreds wouldn't work.

The whole hard-line method of "not giving into terrorist demands" has already been proven a miserable failure, anyway. They'll commit to attacks anyway, because it's the idea of Islamic jihad that motivates them to commit them, not the Western response. They don't give a damn about what the West thinks of them. They kill themselves by the thousands in the Middle East, too. Not because of what Donald Trump thinks of it, or Emmanuel Macron, but because of what Allah thinks of it.

At this point, all you can do is attempt to pre-empt the attacks, and in cases where pre-emption has turned out to be a failure (such as France, due to horrendous immigration policy), the government will move to limiting people's capacity to act in public, much like they did after 9/11.

This should be a message to any person who appreciates the freedom they have. Your liberties will all gradually be taken away if you don't take care of your neighbourhood. Because in the end, the society will protect itself from instability. It will not protect the people's freedom at its own expense.

Let a pack of wild animals into the zoo, and soon we will all wish we were living in the cages.

If I understand you, you are in favor of this particular ban?

It's consistent to be in favor of this ban or others like it and also believe that there is a serious threat in France, no? Does the act of enforcing this ban not imply there is a problem to begin with? And if there is a problem, should it not be addressed? This is only a band-aid solution which does not address the cause.

France bans showing the World Cup on big screens for fear of terrorism.

421d6f4af424fdd2b3a15c829f13804c8e9df9a3.jpg

• The French interior ministry said all fan zones would be 'completely forbidden'
  • France used the zones in Euro 2016 to house thousands of supporters for games
  • But after a spate of terror attacks across Europe the risk is seen as too great
  • Some minor French cities are planning on defying the ban and setting up zones
  • Authorities in France have warned them that if they do it is 'their responsibility'

According to Interior Minister Gerrard Collomb:

---

I added a poll for fun.
VIVE LA FRANCE!

This is called bending to the terrorists everybody

We tried to make France great again.

They chose this instead.

All I know is they don’t have a terrorism problem

Back