Francis Ngannou vs. Cyril Gane Breakdown | A Detailed Look at the 5th Round Sweep/Failed Ankle Lock

To me it seemed like Gane started to look for the leg attack and Francis capitalized on the opening to look for a scissor sweep esque technique....or vice-versa lol

2005 account lol nice . Its always cool too see people with old accounts who dont post that much pop up . Congrats on not being terminally online like me.
Great breakdown clears any speculation about whether he went for an ankle lock in the first place as well.

It’s a good breakdown that highlights lots of the little improvements Francis has made to his grappling with wrist control, use of under hooks, positional awareness etc.

He’s no Charles oliviera, but he’s getting consistently better.

Ngannou actually did a great job with the wrist control on top position too. Dude's no doubt got gorilla grip strength.

When Ngannou prevents Cyril’s left arm from being freed you can clearly see Ngannou’s right leg sweep Cyril’s left leg

50f94948-499e-4d2c-bae5-fd97857e210a_text.gif

Gane went for a sloppy attack. Francis capitalized. Conclusion: Gane needs to focus on bjj for a while

As soon as he hit the sweep, I heard the commentators talk about Gane falling back for the achilles lock. I started laughing because it was clearly the sweep that did it, and not Gane who fell back. Gane fell back only after he realized that he had no base.Francis' jiu jitsu was much improved, but i expected fireworks on the feet. Oh well, they all cant be takiyama vs frye :)

Yeah looked like Gane might have been looking for something, but it was Francis who swept Gane. I think this fight should elevate everyone's opinion on Francis because before they were saying he was just a standup fighter with no ground game.

Is it a surprise how much Ngannou has improved since he left his old camp and coaches? If Gane wants to become champ he'll need to do that same

The kneejerk reactions were saying the ground exchanges were nothing but lay and pray but there was much more too it. I thought Francis looked MUCH improved on the ground

Back