French cane fighting

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
This is very original, so keep your mind open.

No one is saying that it is lethal, but appreciate the speed and dexterity of theses guys. Unreal.

YouTube - Canne de combat

It gets insane as of around 2:00

Thats friggin sick, and honestly canes are not illegal to carry in any country.

I think that is absolutely awesome. I saw an article in the local paper recently about a martial arts class being taught by a guy for older people with canes... I kinda laughed, seeing as they were all really old, but the idea is interesting. I don't know if I could pull off wandering around with a cane, but it IS a great weapon that is completely under the radar to most.

My instructor told me that the cane is one of the best weapon there is for close quarters style fighting

Edit: Sorry, talking about the old person type canes mentioned above rather than the canes in the opening post

Looks like fencing...with sticks.

so what are the rules? do they count hits or what?

Its Artsy-Fartsy Saber fencing... In a ring.... That is all....

I'm pretty sure one of these guys walking the streets could take on anyone except maybe someone with a gun.

Very cool stuff. Reminds me of that scene in Game of Death where Bruce Lee was whipping that batton guy's ass with his little stick. Quick, annoying, stinging strikes. I wouldn't want to fight one of these guys.

I'm surprised the referee isn't wearing a helmet. That would suck to accidentally catch a cane to the face. Nice topic by the way.

It's a undercover weapon people use to walk around with....that's badass.

I agree with you on that.

I studied Fencing for 3 years and competed in numerous tournaments, usually placing in the top ten, which is pretty good for a competitve rifle shooter I reckon.

Unless their practicing for a movie scene featuring whoflungdung, there's no reason for the obligatory twirling when their already facing one another.

this is as much a spectacle form as a fighting form: Discuss?

well.. if you read the comments part of the first vid you notice one comment from an person whos done it... the reason you see all the "twirling" is that, as he explained it, is you have to"chamber" your strikes... this is why you see no thrusting and alot of wrist rolls of the cane... each time they roll the wrist, they are chambering for the next shot...

at least thats what I gather from reading about it and it seems to make sense from watching it...

You mean this comment?

WTF is "chambering"?

To me, the longer I try to watch that the worse it seems.

I must reiterate: Its Artsy-Fartsy,(emphasis on the Artsy and the Fartsy) Half assed Saber fencing... In a ring....

I think this guy is the founding Father:
PIERRE VIGNY La canne vigny

Have a look at this guy:Jean-Louis Michel
Jean-Louis Michel (fencing) - Fencing Wiki - Powered by Fencing.Net

dude.. chill... I did epee and saber for awhile as well, but mostly kenjutsu/kendo so I know where your coming from. *love saber!*

I've always thought though that modern fencing doesn't resemble realistic combat or even realistic sword-play anymore...but La canne has to be appreciated just on the skill and athleticism alone... the evasions these guys do are amazing. The ability to move laterally as well is very important as well... can't do that on the piste..

just trying ot figure out why your hating on such a cool combat sport..?

anyway... on to chambering...

The rule of chambering, is that between each and every strike, the hand must be brought back behind the line of the shoulder blades. So if I

^^^
It s really too bad that a retard like that had to jump in and spoil this thread.
Man I just don't get understand the hostility.

Anyways, I'm happy that it brought something to most people who viewed the vid.

Cheers.

I appreciate the sport and would train it if it was available. No, all of it might not be useful, but it looks like a lot of fun, and I'm sure most of it would be useful in a fight.

You don't HAVE to jump and spin to hit... But you can. I'm sure they train non fancy moves as well. Usually with demonstrations, they do the craziest crap just to give you an impression.

Back