Fundamentals: Footwork or Hands First?

Footwork first, balance, stepping over, turning, movement, study Floyd"s footwork and Whitaker along with Muhammad Ali also Chavez quick attack footwork and how he keeps his balance and is able to generate extreme power after his quickly walking down his opponents, try to put everything together, that works for you and then your defensive techniques after that offensive techniques.

Footwork sets up power punches and gets you knock outs and this wins you belts.

Footwork sets up defense and this wins belts and keeps you safe from getting hurt and keeps you looking good.

Footwork sets up Offense and gets you wins and sets up knock outs and this wins belts.

All of the greatest fighters in history had incredible defensive techniques and incredible footwork, most never had crazy punching power and all of them have crazy stamina and great boxing skills.

Footwork Loma, Floyd, Whitaker, Ali, and James Toney, Roy Jones Ray, Robinson Ray, Lenard and more.

Defense Floyd, Loma, Whitaker, Ali, James Toney, and more.

Offense Floyd, Loma,Whitaker ,James Toney, Ali Roy Jones Sugar Ray Lenard, Ray Robinson and more.

Your footwork sets up your offense and defensive techniques and the most important thing is balance.

Footwork first, balance, stepping over, turning, movement, study Floyd"s footwork and Whitaker along with Muhammad Ali also Chavez quick attack footwork and how he keeps his balance and is able to generate extreme power after his quickly walking down his opponents, try to put everything together, that works for you and then your defensive techniques after that offensive techniques.

Footwork sets up power punches and gets you knock outs and this wins you belts.

Footwork sets up defense and this wins belts and keeps you safe from getting hurt and keeps you looking good.

Footwork sets up Offense and gets you wins and sets up knock outs and this wins belts.

All of the greatest fighters in history had incredible defensive techniques and incredible footwork, most never had crazy punching power and all of them have crazy stamina and great boxing skills.

Footwork Loma, Floyd, Whitaker, Ali, and James Toney, Roy Jones Ray, Robinson Ray, Lenard and more.

Defense Floyd, Loma, Whitaker, Ali, James Toney, and more.

Offense Floyd, Loma,Whitaker ,James Toney, Ali Roy Jones Sugar Ray Lenard, Ray Robinson and more.

Your footwork sets up your offense and defensive techniques and the most important thing is balance.

I just talked to one of the old timers about balance yesterday. He spoke how he sees guys all the time off balance, off that midline. Furthermore he spoke on this leaning posture many guys have bringing themselves closer to the line of fire; closer to the punches. Balance is so important.

If you get tired you have to think, what is going to save you when your arms turn to jelly? Got to move, got to pivot, and manage that distance until you regain steam. Thanks for your input, and examples.

Should people coming into boxing begin by learning the punches or footwork first?

Punches: Jab, cross (straight), hook, uppercut

Footwork: Moving forward, moving backwards, lateral left, lateral right, shuffle step, walk off, pivot etc.

I've heard this topic debated before by all levels to include coaches.
If you were the coach which would you have them learn first in the gym, and why?
I suppose everyone does things different, if I were to teach someone, I'd start with the feet but honestly, improvements come so slow and people are so impatient, I don't think people are teachable these days so that's why we have all these pussy gyms offering "boxing" classes where they just throw everything together like a glob of shit, all i can say is there are some cunning people out there who can make money like that and that there are also some gullible fucks. footwork is very important, most of the skills do not come naturally to most people so things need to be broken down. A proper jab would first be taught by stepping into it and you won't do that right unless you know what to do with your feet.

Work on your footjobs before anything
oh, this motherfucker here, goddamn, for you to even know what that is, you musta watched that shit. I don't think I ever have but I can guess what it's like, I think i'd rather have a handjob and unlike you, from a female.

oh, this motherfucker here, goddamn, for you to even know what that is, you musta watched that shit. I don't think I ever have but I can guess what it's like, I think i'd rather have a handjob and unlike you, from a female.

Why did you think I was talking about gay footjobs?

View attachment 440797

I know how you feel! The gif is from a movie but I think alot of boxers really do lack natural movement both directions, or make up for it through other means. In the same way some guys struggle to box moving backwards.

For a while was seriously going to put my boy in some basic dancing lessons but he has much better footwork than I ever did so I'll leave him be for a while

Because its naturally harder to move in both directions because you dont want to cross your ankles and you have a lead leg.

SRR was so good because he twinkled moving both directions.

Why did you think I was talking about gay footjobs?
because, i wouldn't think a woman would really like that kind of thing, hell, you can barely get women to swallow anymore, let alone mess up her pedicure. do ya thang i ain't mad at ya.

mind first.

in all seriousness, punches all start with the feet. stance first (both feet and hands chin tucked and everything in between). so I guess feet first.

in a perfect world, everything, always.

You can't learn footwork without hands and you can't learn hands without footwork

I suppose everyone does things different, if I were to teach someone, I'd start with the feet but honestly, improvements come so slow and people are so impatient, I don't think people are teachable these days so that's why we have all these pussy gyms offering "boxing" classes where they just throw everything together like a glob of shit, all i can say is there are some cunning people out there who can make money like that and that there are also some gullible fucks. footwork is very important, most of the skills do not come naturally to most people so things need to be broken down. A proper jab would first be taught by stepping into it and you won't do that right unless you know what to do with your feet.

Exactly. Everything you just said. lol

Feet first as that is your first line of defense and the set up to your punches.

I’ve trained with loads of guys that can hit like a truck, and put in beautiful combinations (on the pads and heavy bag). Stick someone mobile in front of them and they are fcked. As billy the fish said both are equally important. Teach a novice the basic punches and stance, then within a couple of sessions footwork has to be as much of a priority. And the 2 go hand in hand.

I think Lomachenko's dad had him in dancing for awhile, I could be mistaken, but that is what I heard.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a tap dancer, I think even professionally at one point.
Yes it's true when Lomachenko was 10 his father took him away from boxing and made him learn traditional Ukrainian dancing. He did this for a couple of years before being allowed to go back to boxing.

Here’s some traditional Ukrainian dancing

That's no joke, looks like it takes some pretty good leg strength!

And balance, coordination, discipline etc

And to be gay if these chaps are anything to go by.

Back