Movies FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA (Second Official Trailer, post #237)

you should revisit it. i honestly truly wanted to hate Fury Road when i finally caved from the non-stop hype assault, sat my ass down, & watched it. i liked it for sure. a lot more than i expected/wanted to. but i still wasn’t tripping over myself for it like a lot of people were. then i watched it again. then again. then a couple more times over the years after that. on rewatch it won me over so fucking hard.
I saw it with a friend the second time and it didn't quite hold up for me, but maybe that was the setting as well. I'll watch it again when I'm in the mood for something intense, thanks.

The first movie had visuals... and nothing else to it. Also, I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone of this: George Miller’s Notes For Fury Road. With the word Gynotopia in it.

Untitled.png

GYNOTOPIA

Last edited:
Even if you love the movie, it's not exactly controversial to say that the plot is paper thin, and the movie is far more of a visual spectacle. Shit, it probably worked in it's favor, much like it did for The Road Warrior. You don't need much for a Mad Max movie, other than "Here's Max. He fights post apocalyptic auto mechanics in a wasteland. Enjoy!", and then just nail the action and visuals.
sounds to me like people are confusing tight & pithy w/ paper thin.

That trailer looked like a video game. That’s not a compliment. And are they doing a marvel crossover? Hemsworth is in armor with a red cape.

I don't like the visuals in the trailer. Too cartoonish for realistic approach, too realistic for "comicbook" visuals. Fury Road was visually amazing due to extensive use of practical effects.

It has visual breathtaking scenes,but the script never really commits to anything I agree. B movie trash script with AAA financial backing. The original Mad Max movies had a dark apocalyptic expression that sometimes made them uncomfortable ( rape scene) . They had meaning. Fury Road is an empty vessel for star power and cool scenes. That's enough for most braindead movie fans nowadays.

I tend to agree. There are subtleties in the Road Warrior that sit with you a long while after. Max Rockatansky through Mel Gibson is the penultimate 'Elric' in movie form - the doomed hero. And he plays it as such. His humanity is a vague memory, but enough of it is there he doesn't fall into the savagery around him. There's a sadness to that world that feels palatable.

In Fury Road - I'm supposed to believe Zoe Kravitz has what it takes to survive a post apocalyptic hyper-fueled nightmare, all the while maintaining a perfect bowl cut and moisturized skin.

nah-im-good.gif

I get where you're coming from, it definitely made the movie more of an experience with how streamlined the plot was. Yet, movies like Terminator and Predator managed to make you more invested in the characters despite being similarly scripted. Fury Road was a fun experience and incredibly shot, but it was too lean, bordering vapid, for me to personally want to revisit it. Also, I felt it dragged a bit, but I can appreciate the craftmanship and it looked incredible.
I'd disagree with that, the plot is very lean I think thats actually what allows it to have significant depth of character, Max, Furisa and Nux have very definite arcs as characters and I think done in a very effective subtle fashion rather than depending on plotting and on the nose character reveals we normally get in blockbusters. Again I think the same is true of a film like Terminator, Sarah and Reese are very well drawn characters not depending on that kind of easy cheap writting.

i’m going to remain cautiously optimistic that the awkward/jarring visual elements from the trailer will end up translating better on the screen, within the context of the Miller’s intended visual language

sounds to me like people are confusing tight & pithy w/ paper thin.
Nope. It's paper thin. It doesn't mean that it doesn't work for the type of flick it is, but it's not exactly loved for it's writing.

Nope. It's paper thin. It doesn't mean that it doesn't work for the type of flick it is, but it's not exactly loved for it's writing.

I'd disagree with that, the plot is very lean I think thats actually what allows it to have significant depth of character, Max, Furisa and Nux have very definite arcs as characters and I think done in a very effective subtle fashion rather than depending on plotting and on the nose character reveals we normally get in blockbusters. Again I think the same is true of a film like Terminator, Sarah and Reese are very well drawn characters not depending on that kind of easy cheap writting.

It's not just about the story beats, it's the characterisation which is where I think we disagree. Fury Road made me feel little for the characters, maybe outside of Nux, but as I said, it's just what I got from watching it. Completely fine to have different opinions.

i’m going to remain cautiously optimistic that the awkward/jarring visual elements from the trailer will end up translating better on the screen, within the context of the Miller’s intended visual language
To be honest my feeling was always that this was not going to be on the level of Fury Road, I think that film was just lighting in a bottle the way it mixed gritty realistic stunt work done on an insanely large scale and atmospheric low key drama.

I'm expecting something a bit more on the level of 2000 Years of Longing, a bit messy and less gritty because nobody wants to go though Fury Road again but probably still with a good deal of invention to it.

I’ve become a pretty big Anna Taylor Joy fan since watching ‘the Queens Gambit’ and ‘Peaky Blinders’.. she’s got acting chops. That said I wasn’t impressed with ‘Fury Road’ the way most others were, the style over substance approach didn’t do it for me so I’m not sure I’m all that excited for this.

the trailer does not matter to me because I am going to watch the movie anyway on a big screen.

I do wish it was not a prequel. Filling in the front part of a story where we have already seen the ending is a poor place to start a film.

But I go to Mad Max films for insane spectacle. I am confident that Miller will take his shot at that.

There's a sadness to that world that feels palatable.
Perfectly explained. There is a sense of what was lost and that the hero himself had this broken quality. Like Tolkien builds his incredible athmosphere by merely pointing at a glorious past gone with all the stories Glorfindel, Krankra, Melkor...etc that set the universe.
I would exclude the third movie, in my memory it was quite silly at times.
Fury Road isnt even apocalyptic and gives us a no sense of a post civilization world. Its just a universe with sandbuggies, crazy people and supercool heroes . That part is very well executed. What movies nowadays lack the most is an arc for the protagonists. Its like with "Prey" or "She Hulk" they cant be allowed to be shown faulty because thats against the writers agenda of presenting perfect people hero fantasy. Only thing allowed is a baddie holding them back. Thats why we get empty boring often bitchy "heroes" no one takes serious. There is no arc to overcome. No real beginning. Like lab products

Maaaan, a friend of mine has an anarchistic Clown Show called similar. I smell a court hearing.

I'm also not watching this. Public big budget cinema just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's same recipe, structure, catchy moments etc.

Big yawn.

Eh. Kinda looks bad to me. Cheap CG, obnoxious edits and zooms. It feels like a cheaper Fury Road.

I’ll probably check it out, but I’m getting late Marvel vibes from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back