Fury vs Wilder III in Relation to the UFC/MMA Discussion Mega Thread

You goofs are underestimating how shallow the UFC HW division is.

Tyson can 100% dominate the UFC HW with a year of mma training. Keep in mind he is literally 6”9, 85 in reach and very technical hands. He would fuck up everyone except Gane who provides tactical challenges. And Blaydes who is an excellent HW grappler.

Also anyone citing James Toney as example is arguing in bad faith because he came in fat and clearly just collecting a paycheck

Fury has insane cardio, handspeed and power. All he would need to work on is his sprawl and he'd be the PFP king.

If we imagine both have a decent ground game, solid tdd and a bjj black belt even if mostly defensive, which is often the route great strikers take anyway. Who's boxing and theoretical kicking would translate better to mma.

Personally I think it's clear fury is the better overall boxer. That being said he has been dropped 4 times in 2 fights vs wilder. The middle bout he dominated but I actually put a lot of that to his eardrum being busted I dont think that's talked about enough he was out of the fight right then imo. You could see his equilibrium was not ok from then on, good luck fighting fury like that.

I think wilder would be the better mma fighter for a couple reasons. First being his insane power. If fury took any of the shots he did against wilder with 4 oz gloves I dont think he ever gets up. Same could be said for the knockdowns of wilder but fury is a volume striker and I see a true killer instinct in wilder I think would translate well.
Next I have to assume that wilder would be much better at kicks for 2 reasons, first he is just way more athletic, second being he has been boxing for a fraction of the time fury has and has more than held his own against a giant that has boxing since he was in diapers.

Im curious what you guys think. If we assume both have heavyweight average ground games and lets say ten years of mma striking vs just boxing how do they fare against each other.
How do they stack up with the current ufc hws.
I think both could easily get the title at some point but think wilder would be something special with his reach cardio power ferocity and athleticism

Both of them would cause problems for most of the division tbh. Even a lay a pray guy like Blaydes would have a hard time eating one clean shot by either Fury or Wilder.

Fury by far. Far better cardio, strong clinch game, great footwork, good defense while keeping his hands low and would be hard to take down. Deontay is out of position alot after he punches. I can see him getting taken down at will in MMA and chopped up by leg kicks.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31959011/ufc-265-hits-different-facing-ko-power-derrick-lewis
Tony Johnson said, "I've been hit by him and Francis Ngannou. I don't know which one hits harder, Francis or Derrick, but they both hit like frickin' Mack trucks. I've been hit by Deontay Wilder. I've been hit by the hardest hitters in the sport. Deontay tops everyone..."

It makes sense that boxers are better punchers than mma fighters. Boxers spend most of their training on punching, and they also make more money.

I think Tyson Fury would be the better mma fighter because he seems to have better footwork, better head movement, he's heavier, and he's taller. Tyson Fury would have to cut down from 277 pounds to the limit of 265 pounds.

It's already very difficult to push Tyson Fury around in the ring because of his size.

It is definitely Wilder even though he is an older man. He is faster and more athletic. He also punches hard early on.

Fury has better boxing technique so it stands to reason he would develop better technique for mma too.

Fury would be unstoppable in MMA if he actually trained the whole skillset.

How the hell does he have that cardio?

So, I'm going to be honest and admit that I'm a casual boxing fan. I only am attracted towards big name fights and in no way shape or form a boxing expert. I mean, I was watching a playoff baseball game at the same time, so I actually missed a fair bit of that fight, a couple knockdowns I missed, so it's not like I have any intention or desire to talk up this fight or boxing in general.

Yet, I know full of shit when I see one. I am seeing lots of people on this forum talking as if there was ever a MMA fight that was as good as that one, if not better. That is number 1 bullshit. There has no fight in MMA that was as great as that trilogy fight from last night.

When I evaluate how great fight was, I tend to look at two main things: Quality of the fighters involved and the quality of the fight itself. Now the quality of the fighters are easy to say, you just look at their body of work and abilities, but the definition of quality of the fight itself may vary depending on who you ask, but I look at the quality of the fight itself as the excitement of the fight itself, competitiveness of it, and perhaps the ending of it as well. Also, the hype of the fight itself, and whether it lived upto it perhaps can be taken into account in saying how great the fight was, and boy did it live up to the hype and some.

Fury-Wilder Trilogy had it all. It had likely the two best fighters of their generation, not just now and here, but the generation, at the peak of their powers, perhaps not as competitive as it could been, but with two knockdowns, Wilder made it as close and dramatic as he could and went out swinging, and it had great ending.

There has never been a fight in MMA that comes even close to this fight, and to say otherwise is a classic case of nuthugging at its finest. At heavyweight, you might say Crocop-Fedor. I consider Fedor the GOAT p4p, and Crocop the best striker ever, but I don't think two COMBINED were as good as fury and wilder, nor that fight was as good as this one. I mean, there might be a good competitive HW fight like Hunto-Bigfoot, but obviously they are not at the same level in terms of their talents.

I think that applies to other weight classes. To be at the same level as those two, it's tough to find to begin with. Perhaps at LHW, Jones-Cormier. But the fight itself wasn't half as good. Hendo-Shogun 1 was dynamic, but even though I believe healthy Shogun was as good as they came at LHW(PRIDE FOREVER IDGAF), they aren't at the level of these two fighters, and the fight itself also wasn't as good as the last night's fight.

At middleweight, I don't think there was a fight between the two who were even close being as good as these two. And I think the same thing can be said for other weight classes. GSP-Hendricks from WW, Edgar-Maynard 2 from LW, Aldo-Mendes 2 at FW, MM-Cejudo 2 from FLW perhaps hold talents that were comparable, but I don't think the combined talents were as good, nor the fight itself.

Truthfully, there hasn't been a single MMA fight that was half as good as Fury-Wilder 3. It's pretty delusional to suggest otherwise.

Both with decent ground games? That's a hard one. Fury is much more durable, better cardio, highly adaptable and has better fight IQ.

Wilder has knock out power and enough knowledge of boxing to clobber most heavyweights

I'd probably still pick fury. The dude is a giant. He isn't going to fold under pressure or gas out

With that said, I'd love to see some premier boxing talents cross over to MMA. Not washed up fighters, or WMMA boxers, but the real gifted boxers who take it seriously from young age. I think the boxer on the first fight of the main event looked pretty good, would love to see someone like that cross over to MMA.

It was sloppy, and Fury came in fat as fuck. The most entertaining part was Fury going for the guillotine.

What makes boxing good is guys can get dropped numerous times and they're allowed a free recovery. Without all those knockdowns, that fight isn't half as fun.

There has never been a fight in MMA that comes even close to this fight, and to say otherwise is a classic case of nuthugging at its finest. At heavyweight, you might say Crocop-Fedor
Lol dude why are you trying so hard to appease to boxing and nostalgic PRIDE fans? Nobody gives a fuck. Stop attention-seeking. There have been several fights that I'd say were much more entertaining than Fury/Wilder 3.

Back