Gaethje is a good fighter and deserves respect

For every leg kick, which are vicious and for every advancement he absorbs like 3-4 strikes for dishing out 1. Its alarming how often opponents strikes just pelt off his head....like virtually everything gets through. He eats them for the most part until the end. He just doesn't even try to wrestle. I think he just wants to entertain completely....and he sure does deliver in that area. NO fucking bullshit lay and pray with this guy...even though it would greatly improve his chances of advancing in this stacked division.

Im not sure what anyone expected from him. The guy is a warrior and fights with balls of steel and always said sooner or later he would get knocked out the way he fights. I dont understand the reactionary laughing hyenas on the sidelines who get so excited to rub it in when a fighter losses.

I didnt hear many people hyping Gaethje an unbeatable force at 155 or over hyping him. To me he is a clear top 10 lightweight who is one of the most exciting fighters in the sport... however when I see the forums I see topics like "Gaethje proving their are levels to this game" and "Gaethje proving UFC level fighter means something".

Ive been watching MMA a long time now. This isnt boxing. Guys fight high quality talent and virtually everyone racks up losses. Even the biggest names have Ls on their record. When I watched Poirer and Gaethje I clearly think Poirer was the better man however I also saw a highly competative match.

Much props to Justin hea one of the toughest fighters in the sport but hes not on the surging Poirers level yet. Why the need to trash Gaethje? I have no idea. If you thought again that be was some ultra hyped fighter who was supposed to be the next coming of legend in the UFC well.. you werent paying attention. Gaethje is a borderline contender and top 10 lightweight for sure and after the loss he still is.

he had poirier in serious trouble. at that point the fight could have gone either way. credit to poirier who won through but the result was on a knife edge at that point. people act like fighters have a certain constant "standard" but in reality fights are chaotic and anything can happen. justin was fucking poirier up good

Needs to stop eating punches to land leg kicks. Needs to work on his hands and defense.

he's good but he could be great, it's frustrating to watch someone so talented abandon his roots

If he mixes in some TDs after chopping his opponents legs, he'll get them on the ground. Once a leg is beat up you lose a lot of balance, power, and movement on it, and that would probably affect TDD.

He should avoid extended brawling and work leg kicks and takedowns.

I essentially agree he's a tough as nailz fighter with one gear "forward" that can work well in WSOF but in the UFC with more polished & finished guys walking forward with neck in brace movement is target practice for good strikers and it makes it easier to time his chop kicks.

I think he's a good fighter but he needz to show more fight IQ and add a couple of tricks & toolz to his gym bag...

I have to disagree that it is a lack of fight IQ I think the way he fights works FOR HIM. Hes forces a brawl but hes got an iron jaw and hes tough as hell and when he gets rocked he tends to stick in there and recover well if not turn the fight in his favor. Hes willing to force guys into a brawl and out tough/out last them and I think with the tools he has that creates a ton of problems. I do think there is room for different approaches I dont think you should have only one style in this sport to go after different guys but in general it is something he does extremely well.

I think Gaethje is the type of guy who will get big wins and also losses. I dont think hes a guy who just gets smoked by all the top 10 lightweights. We saw what he did to Michael Johnson who is a ranked guy. I think the more correct answer is that his style against the stiffer competition will lead to both wins and losses. This is normal. Only the top guy wins almost everytime. Again I think Gaethje is a top 10 guy and a guy who breaks many fighters but also ends up putting himself at risk as well by doing it. But again I think the style is a good trade for him. If your Gaethje you know you have a great chin and your tough as hell and have KO power and if rocked can recover quickly. As long as that is who you are engaging a brawl will give you a major advantage against the majority of your competition.

Hoping to outlast your opponent by absorbing more damage than he isn't a fight strategy... it's a lack of one.
That being said I like Gaethge; he doesn't need to be so eager to please fans at the expense of a sound plan to win.

Actually.. it is a fifht strategy.. infact one of the most famous ones ever see Muhammed Alis rope a dope when he beat George Foreman. But I digress... if you have an excellent chin and big punch power you absolutely CAN force a brawl and absorb punishment looking for a KO. If you have the right tools to fight like that it can be extremely effective. Gaethje forces you into a brawl and can take the pain/damage and recover extremely fast. This coupled with his KO power mean that as long as he keeps you in a brawl he feels he will land and put you to sleep.

It makes perfect sense especially depending on who your opponent is. There are guys out there who we have seen.. even some ranked guys who would NOT recover once they are rocked and mentally check out of fights. Hell we also have seen fighters who dont have good chins and who can be knocked out.. if not quite easily unfortunately for some of them. If you have a wrestling background to keep it on the feet...a great chin/recovery ability and your tough as hell with big KO power in your fists you can argue against an opponent who wilts under pressure or who has a weak chin that a guy like Gaethje is a nightmare. He will force you into a brawl.. take your best shot and when it comes time he will finish with his power shots.

It absolutely is the correct strat against many guys.

Actually.. it is a fifht strategy.. infact one of the most famous ones ever see Muhammed Alis rope a dope when he beat George Foreman. But I digress... if you have an excellent chin and big punch power you absolutely CAN force a brawl and absorb punishment looking for a KO. If you have the right tools to fight like that it can be extremely effective. Gaethje forces you into a brawl and can take the pain/damage and recover extremely fast. This coupled with his KO power mean that as long as he keeps you in a brawl he feels he will land and put you to sleep.

It makes perfect sense especially depending on who your opponent is. There are guys out there who we have seen.. even some ranked guys who would NOT recover once they are rocked and mentally check out of fights. Hell we also have seen fighters who dont have good chins and who can be knocked out.. if not quite easily unfortunately for some of them. If you have a wrestling background to keep it on the feet...a great chin/recovery ability and your tough as hell with big KO power in your fists you can argue against an opponent who wilts under pressure or who has a weak chin that a guy like Gaethje is a nightmare. He will force you into a brawl.. take your best shot and when it comes time he will finish with his power shots.

It absolutely is the correct strat against many guys.

Well the strategy hasn't paid off well in his last two fights.

Back