Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Gonna watch this here in a minute.

The real question here is gown many people actually run sli?

Basically NOTHING is optimized for it that I’m seeing.

It sounds like a good idea. “Damn my 980 ti isn’t keeping up these days” i’ll Just buy another one instead of a 1k card.

But it only does well in some benchmark tests or limited games.

Does anyone on this forum for example even run sli??
I have had both Crossfire and SLI in the past. When it works it's great. Back around 2011 I had a pair of 6870's and for about 2 years they kicked ass, but then driver support really slacked off after that and they went downhill fast. Then I had a pair of gtx 770's, and pretty much the same thing. I would run into some weird issues playing games from time to time too, and would have to turn off the second card every now and then when playing a game. One of them I remember was DOTA 2, where the UI wouldn't load if the second card was turned off. Even though Nvidia is making a show of it with these new cards, I won't be surprised if they start giving it the same half assed treatment a year from now.

Honestly, I don't recommend it today unless you are going for the most extreme, wallet burning build. If you're going all out and getting two 2080 Ti's, then that's your only option for top performance. Otherwise, I think it's wiser to just take that money and spend it on the next tier of card up.

So what did you end up doing? Getting rid of both and getting one newer card?

I’m really wanting to do an sli, but the more i look into it the less a And less I can find reason too beside the “I have two gpu’s in my rig” look factor.

The budget aspect of it is what I like, I can get two 980ti’s cheap for example.

But it seems like that will just be cool in some synthetic benchmarks and that’s it.

My 970 hasn’t Let me down any in what I’ve done so far anyway , but I know it will soon.

I’m just bored with my computer. And putting a 1080 ti in it just seems boring compared to two 980 ti’s or two 1070’s etc et

But the 1080 ti will perform better in almost all aspects I am seeing.

I’m still trying to find out if there is a reason it will benifit me in some way.

I just upgraded to a better single card solution (980ti currently) In some games it will make a huge difference, but some games dont support it, and there is still problems with frame times from what I understand (higher frame rate, but not as smooth). The 2080ti SLI setup Jay showed blew away games in 4K, so if you want 4K gaming then that is your best bet now. Another approach that I am moving towards is mITX builds. My new system is an mITX in a mATX case because my current GPU will not fit in the case I want. I was holding out for the 2xxx series cards before making the full switch to mITX, but I may just get a 1080ti now.

I just upgraded to a better single card solution (980ti currently) In some games it will make a huge difference, but some games dont support it, and there is still problems with frame times from what I understand (higher frame rate, but not as smooth). The 2080ti SLI setup Jay showed blew away games in 4K, so if you want 4K gaming then that is your best bet now. Another approach that I am moving towards is mITX builds. My new system is an mITX in a mATX case because my current GPU will not fit in the case I want. I was holding out for the 2xxx series cards before making the full switch to mITX, but I may just get a 1080ti now.
Guy local to me just got a 2080 ti, had his 1080ti listed for sale. Took the 1080ti listing down and listed the 2080 ti.

Seems like it’s not time for whatever the 2080 does really well YET

I don’t have anything 4K I have two 1080p/144hz monitors, but I might be getting a 1440/144 and I think the 970 might struggle with that.

There are a bunch of 980 ti’s cheap local to me. That should do fine.

There are also a bunch of 1070ti’s for not too too much more and power consumption wise and maybe even driver wise that might be a better bet for the long haul. Or just bite the bullet and get a 1080 ti even though I don’t need one YET

Guy local to me just got a 2080 ti, had his 1080ti listed for sale. Took the 1080ti listing down and listed the 2080 ti.

I don’t have anything 4K I have two 1080p/144hz monitors, but I might be getting a 1440/144 and I think the 970 might struggle with that.

There are also a bunch of 1070ti’s for not too too much more and power consumption wise and maybe even driver wise that might be a better bet for the long haul. Or just bite the bullet and get a 1080 ti even though I don’t need one YET
Im not surprised. A lot of people that preordered have cancelled.

Gonna watch this here in a minute.

The real question here is gown many people actually run sli?

Basically NOTHING is optimized for it that I’m seeing.

It sounds like a good idea. “Damn my 980 ti isn’t keeping up these days” i’ll Just buy another one instead of a 1k card.

But it only does well in some benchmark tests or limited games.

Does anyone on this forum for example even run sli??
They explain the issue why sli became an after thought due to the fact that

My post kinda explained that and Jay's video went into detail about why 2080ti is more then most will want or need currently. In the future as the technology to exploit this much graphics and computing power becomes more affordable then more people will make the jump. The issue that someone who I watch makes a good explanation why people buying 1080ti hurts future development is because Nvidia has no competition for their 1080 boards as the fact that the ATI boards are still not competitive at the top of the scale so people are still buying tons of Nvidia 1XXX series of boards.

Nvidia still gets industry support due to this fact and games tend to focus on being optimized for AMD due to console support even then Nvidia still comes out on top. Gaming companies are more and more targeting for the lower end due to interest in porting to game consoles and then moving it over to the PC and fewer new titles are being developed for PC only and Steam games are not pushing the technology. So left is the idea that why drop serious cash on a board that very few if any games utilize and stick with what works. Nvidia will just keep cranking out 1080's till the cows come home or till AMD finally gets its act together or computer hardware gets cheaper such as 144hz 4K high performance monitors come around at a price people can afford.

They explain the issue why sli became an after thought due to the fact that

My post kinda explained that and Jay's video went into detail about why 2080ti is more then most will want or need currently. In the future as the technology to exploit this much graphics and computing power becomes more affordable then more people will make the jump. The issue that someone who I watch makes a good explanation why people buying 1080ti hurts future development is because Nvidia has no competition for their 1080 boards as the fact that the ATI boards are still not competitive at the top of the scale so people are still buying tons of Nvidia 1XXX series of boards.

Nvidia still gets industry support due to this fact and games tend to focus on being optimized for AMD due to console support even then Nvidia still comes out on top. Gaming companies are more and more targeting for the lower end due to interest in porting to game consoles and then moving it over to the PC and fewer new titles are being developed for PC only and Steam games are not pushing the technology. So left is the idea that why drop serious cash on a board that very few if any games utilize and stick with what works. Nvidia will just keep cranking out 1080's till the cows come home or till AMD finally gets its act together or computer hardware gets cheaper such as 144hz 4K high performance monitors come around at a price people can afford.

This isn’t specific to the 1080 but a good example of where depending on what game you are running makes a difference in the choice.

Here amd is better than equivalent Nvidia.

Which also messes with my decision, since the only game I’m excited about in the near future is Doom Eternal.

Exclusive: Here’s How Much NVIDIA RTX MSRP Will Be Affected By Tariffs
WCCFTech said:
Big AIBs with Taiwanese manufacturing capability will take the tariffs in stride within a month or two, smaller ones like Zotac will have to absorb costs
Practically all PC components are being affected by the tariffs – which include motherboards, RAM kits, HDDs, GPUs and CPUs – with the only exception here being SSDs. On the peripheral side, keyboard and mice are exempt as well, as are pre-built systems (including servers) and complete laptops. The final tariff rate is 10% and will come into force tomorrow (9/24). Add-in-Board partners have the option of either moving their manufacturing/assembly to another country (most likely Taiwan) or absorb the tariffs (which means reducing their margins or passing on the cost to their customers). OEMs etc have the option of moving assembly to places like the Mexican Free Trade Zone (or Taiwan of course). Needless to say, neither of these things can happen instantaneously – so we will see a temporary price hike as the tariffs kick in

Since graphics cards currently have a significant portion of their manufacturing in China, the companies are faced with the option of either absorbing the tariff or moving production to an alternative country – like Taiwan – to avoid the same. We were not able to give you a good idea of what kind of cost increases you can expect to the selling price of the RTX series before since they hadn’t been finalized yet, but now we can.

Based on the information we have received we are expecting price increases of roughly $75 to $80 for the RTX 2080 Tis and $50 for the RTX 2080 variants. For major AIBs like MSI and GIGABYTE who already have facilities in Taiwanese, the hike in price will be temporary – lasting 2 months at most – before they are able to revert back to normal pricing. Smaller AIBs like ZOTAC however, who do not have manufacturing present in Taiwan already will be at a significant disadvantage and disrupted. They will be in the unenviable position of either absorbing the tariff and reduce their margins while keeping the pricing same or pass on the cost to customers (which means when the major AIBs reverts back to normal pricing – they won’t be able to and become uncompetitive).

Example: MSI’s NVIDIA RTX Lineup New Pricing After Trump Tariff
Here is one of the lists we received with post-tariff pricing going live very soon (if not already):
  • RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio: $1231 to $1310
  • RTX 2080 Ti DUKE 11G OC: $1212 to $1290
  • RTX 2080 Ti VENTUS 11G OC: $1203 to $1280
  • RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio: $849 to $900
  • RTX 2080 DUKE 8G OC: $840 to $890
  • RTX 2080 VENTUS 8G OC: $830 to $880
One of the AIBs we talked to also had the following to say about the price hike:
@jefferz. Since you asked earlier.

Why gaming sucks on a 40,000 computing setup. Nvidia really does not want their 9,000 GPU used for gaming.

Intel Core i9 9900k Ashes Of The Singularity Gaming Benchmarks Leaked – Compared To 8700k
WCCF Tech said:
Intel Core i9-9900k scores 11.5% higher against the older 8700k in preliminary Ashes of the Singularity CPU Benchmark
For Intel’s upcoming Core i9-9900K CPU, TUMAPISAK – a well-known leaker, decided to let out some hidden benchmarks from the AoTs metaverse. I was not able to find these in the public directory so they have either been removed or were never in the public directory, to begin with (there are ways to crawl benchmarks that have not been publicly posted). The benchmarks pit the Core i9-9900k against the last generation mainstream flagship – the Core i7-8700k.

It’s important to mention here that to gauge the actual CPU performance difference you should be looking at the “CPU framerate” and not the generic framerate. The former is a better indicator of performance differences while the latter is what you can usually realistically expect in real life gaming scenarios (in which even an 8400 would suffice for most AAA games). The preset used is the Crazy 4k preset which is not exactly ideal since it will make the GPU the bottleneck (the lower the resolution, the easier it is for the GPU to churn out frames and the harder it gets for the CPU to catch up) but thankfully we have CPU framerates to make a good comparison.

The biggest difference can be seen in the Heavy Batch, with the Core i9-9900k scoring a CPU framerate of 67.4 while the Core i7-8700k clocks in at a much lower 55.2 fps. A similar story exists in the Normal batch with the Core i9-9900k scoring 94.2 fps and the 8700k following behind at a decent 85.6 fps. Overall, the Core i9-9900k scores an average 77.2 fps while the 8700k scores an average 69.2 fps. This is a pretty impressive gaming performance differential considering higher CPU throughput rarely translates into an increased gaming FPS.

The Core i9-9900k is the flagship part of Intel’s upcoming 9th generation lineup and will feature 8 cores with hyperthreading enabled (8 cores / 16 threads). The real fun comparison will be between the core i9-9900k and the Core i7-9700K which also has 8 cores but with no hyperthreading (8 cores / 8 threads). Supposedly the Core i9-9900k can boost to an absolutely massive 5 GHz clock on air when dealing with single core/dual core turbos and up to 4.7GHz on all 8 cores. All 9th generation parts are fabbed on the 14nm++ process and MSRP has already leaked out.
  • Core i9-9900K (8 Core / 16 Thread) ~450 USD
  • Core i7-9700K (8 Core / 8 Thread) ~350 USD
  • Core i5-9600K (6 Core / 6 Thread) ~250 USD
  • Core i3-9350K (4 Core / 4 Thread) ~170 USD
Intel-Core-i9-9900k-vs-8700k-Benchmark-878x1030.jpg

Intel 9th Gen Core i9-9900K CPU Shown Outpacing Overclocked Ryzen 7 2700X In Leaked Benchmarks
Another day means another leak in the tech sector, this latest one related to Intel's unannounced 9th generation Core i9-9900K processor. This 8-core/16-thread chip has shown up in numerous leaks already. In this newest one, we get yet another glimpse of performance, with the Core i9-9900K being run through 3DMark's Time Spy benchmark.

We'll get to the numbers in a moment, but first let's talk about the specs. If all the leaks and rumors end up being true, the Core i9-9900K will feature a 3.6GHz base clock and 4.7GHz all-core boost clock, and will boost to 5GHz when utilizing only one or two cores. It also has 16MB of L3 cache and a 95W TDP. It's expected to retail for around $450.

The Core i9-9900K will be the top shelf chip in Intel's 9th gen lineup, and one of two 8-core parts. There have numerous other references to a Core i7-9700K SKU, the other 8-core chip, which interestingly is said to lack Hyper Threading support (that would be unusual for a Core i7 part, but Intel has shown it's willing to deviate from the script).

Now, onto the performance numbers. Frequent leaker and Twitter user APISAK (@TUM_APISAK) posted a link to a 3DMark Time Spy entry that was purportedly earned with a Core i9-9900K, according to the listing. Paired with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, the supposed chip and test bed posted a CPU score of 10,916 points and 36.68 frames per second in the CPU test.

Those scores were obtained at stock clocks. They're also higher than what was obtained with an overclocked AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor running at 4.45GHz. Have a look...

The overclocked Ryzen 7 2700X posted a CPU score of 10,285 and 34.56 fps in the CPU test. Intel's chip widens the gap when overclocked, though not by a whole lot—it already hits a high boost clock across all 8 cores, so there's not much to be gained from a small overclock.
big_time_spy.jpg.ashx

*Edit*
Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 9th Gen Coffee Lake CPU Preorder Pricing Leaked
Hot Hardware said:
With that said, here are the full specs for Intel's upcoming Coffee Lake Refresh processors:
  • Core i9-9900K: 8 cores / 16 threads, 3.6GHz to 5GHz, 16MB L3 cache, 95W TDP
  • Core i7-9700K: 8 cores / 8 threads, 3,6GHz to 4.9GHz, 12MB L3 cache, 95W TDP
  • Core i5-9600K: 6 cores / 6 threads, 3.7GHz to 4.6GHz, 9MB L3 cache, 95W TDP
In recent weeks, we've seen the Core i9-9900K overclocked to 5GHz across all 8 cores, with it putting up comparable scores to the Core i9-7900X (10 cores, 20 threads). Likewise, there have also been benchmark leaks featuring the Core i7-9700K conforming that it has HyperThreading support disabled. That chip was able to overclock to 5.5GHz across all 8 cores.

Last edited:
Amazon Lists Intel's Core i9-9900K For $582.50, New Packaging (Updated)
Amazon US has listed Intel's Core i9-9900K, the company's long-anticipated response to AMD's Ryzen, and also Intel's first eight-core 16-thread processor for the mainstream desktop, for $582.50. Twitter user @momomo_us posted a screenshot of the packaging this morning, and after a bit of digging, we found the full listing.

The listing also reveals Intel's new packaging, which appears to be a translucent new dodecahedron packaging shaped like a d12 die (twelve-sided). Intel's new Core i9-9900K packaging is obviously a direct response to AMD's impressive Threadripper packaging that has set a new bar for the processor market.

We can see a latch/hinge on one of the panels that provides access to the processor. There also appears to be a housing in the center of the package for the processor. Intel doesn't provide coolers with its high-end processors, so the large packaging likely only has the processor inside. In either case, the new packaging is a welcome addition, particularly when you plunk down $582.50 for a new processor.

Amazon lists the Core i9-9900K as out of stock and doesn't list a ship date. The listing also confirms that the processor boosts up to 5.0 GHz, likely on a single core, which is impressive for an eight-core processor.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS85L1ovODAxMjg3L29yaWdpbmFsL2FtYXpvbi1wYWdlLWVkaXRlZC5wbmc=

<HisEye><{natewhut}><DCrying>

Everything I had seen so far had a $479 MSRP quoted for the i9-9900k and $369 quoted for the i7-9700k (which with 8 cores/threads will also be superior to the 8700K in games).

Not really a hardware thing but it show how crazy graphics are getting on pc hardware.

Any questions about the PC master race.

Not really a hardware thing but it show how crazy graphics are getting on pc hardware.

Any questions about the PC master race.

What did that have to do with unreal tourney?
There was no gameplay.

Have you seen doom 2016 @ 4K on Xbox?

HDR got me thinking if my 1080 Ti will support it.
I think it's a founders edition.
Anyone got an idea ?
And how about the 2080 Ti ?

Anyone got an idea ?
Can you be more specific?
HDR what?

I’m used to HDR being High dynamic range, as used in photo and some video editing.

Which my 970 does fine, are there hdr references as far as gaming goes?

Anyone got an idea ?
You need an HDR monitor to take advantage of HDR

Can you be more specific?
HDR what?

I’m used to HDR being High dynamic range, as used in photo and some video editing.

Which my 970 does fine, are there hdr references as far as gaming goes?

Like HDR on a 4K TV. High Dynamic Range.
A PS4 Pro can produce 4k HDR level graphics.
So I wonder if a 1080 Ti supports it as well.
May need an update for it