Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

alright mick can ya concede this shit or can ya help me and a whole bunch of others on a class action lawsuit. i mean this would be some blatant false advertising right?

dsdddd2t.jpg

i'd use a better site than best buy but they stopped selling this model over half a decade now and most other retailers stripped it from their website listing. you can still find the remenants of the panel on websites if you search. all of which are listing it as a native 120 hz tv or a native 120hz refresh rate.

i mean shit bro rtings even laid it all out for you and i'll trust those guys over a bunch of used tv salesmen. they done all their tests. they told you it was a native 120hz panel. they told you it would support a 120hz refresh rate at 1080p and they tell you exactly what you have to do to make it work. they even tested the response time at 1080p 120hz. there is nothing on that site that indicates it actually being a 60hz panel when it tells you all over the place it is a native 120hz panel with a 120hz refresh rate. yes it can also use motion interpolation but only if you enable it. it's not forced into the set. it literally can't even interpolate from a 60hz signal at aall for some fucking reason and it tells you right there in their review. they went above and beyond for their review in this particular tv. and everything from all the owners of this panel were saying aligns with what rtings says in their full review, so i have no reason not to trust them.

aside from the display configurations officially supported on the sony website, there's nothing else out there that ever points to this not being a 120hz panel. and even right beside the video signal support on the sony manual it says "Native 120hz with Motionflow XR 960". i'm assuming that 960 is for the 960 hz it can interpolate up to after turning on motion smoothing and cinemotion and adjusting the "smoothness slider" which is how you enable motion interpolation on this particular panel,

my other tv can interpolate to 120 hz. that is a legit 60 hz panel with absolutely no doubt about it but even i'm not able to tolerate the fake 120hz. if the bravia was anything like that i'd be able to tell right away. but if it is, the tv's processor sure does the best fucking job of faking the funk ever known to mankind, even when i have all of the motion interpolation and post processing settings turned off!

but if you're using the word "Native" to sell your display and it cant accept that native resolution or framerate, that's some false fucking advertising and a lawsuit waiting to happen. and i know there's been some kind of hubbub in the past about manufacturers misrepresenting their product. the interpolation shit is a common tactic. they would often market it on their stores as a 120HZ tv, but they couldnt market it as a native 120hz panel, list it as such under the specifications, or claim that it has a native 120hz refresh rate if it simply did not. that would totally be false and misleading. i know about that shit. even in 2017 i knew to look out for that kind of shit.

i mean shit, either this shit has been doing everything its functionally able to do, albeit not given direct support on the sony backend over it, or all of us bravia owners just got the rug pulled under our feet and nobody else has been able to figure it out yet. this shits got me worked up over nothing. but i'm just indicating that everything else points toward you perhaps actually being wrong about something for once mick. i just wish it wasnt this because i've went off way too much over it, and really the only thing i was trying to figure out was why the fuck that it's accepting such an absurd signal that i am pretty much 100% certain that it does not support?

this is completely abnormal for how windows and the nvidia control panel operate. if it doesnt support the signal you'll know right away if you try to plug in a custom resolution that the display cannot handle, that shit will just black screen. it won't play well with it at all. at least it's not supposed to. but that whole 240hz thing has just contradicted everything ive ever known because as far as i know this is not a 240hz panel and there's no way it should have even decided to try to play well with my pc or even make it look like it was. from all of my previous experience either custom resolutions either work right out of the gate or they brick because the display simply cannot operate under those parameters. there's not supposed to be any in betweens here. this goes against everything that i know.

Last edited:
i know ive written some walls in my days but i dont think ive ever went off on this forum about pretty much nothing at all. i apologize if i made anybodies eyes bleed. but as ive said repeatedly im just weirded out by this shit. it wasnt supposed to work or even act like it was trying to. and i really didnt know what to make of it. i cant replicate that kind of shit on my other display. i know for sure without any doubt that its a 60hz tv. any custom resolutions at over 62hz will make it brick. and thats whats supposed to happen in virtually every instance when you try to force an unsupported signal through a custom resolution to your display through windows display settings or nvidia control panel. this ones left me dumbfounded.

alright using blurbusters ufo motion test, 240hz most definately is not working on this display no matter what it was saying

the 240fps ufo is virtually identical to the 120fps one for me during the test. the 60fps and especially the 30fps ones are all distinguishable in blur and motion from the 240/120 ufo's. that all but confirmed. to my understanding the processor on my tv is choosing to accept the 240hz output signal i am forcing to it, but it it appears to be disregarding that and doing nothing at all with it, appearing to ignore it altogether and continuing to run in 120hz. i'm getting the exact same shit from both those 120/240 ufo's but as far as i know if it was actually running in 240hz i should be able to distinguish the two apart. so i'm concluding that this this 240hz shit really wasnt doing anything at all.

they also have another section of their website which kind of gets into the whole 120 hz support for tv's, and how and why you need to force a custom resolution when the tv does not advertise native support for it within the default windows or nvidia display control panels.

https://blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

force a custom resolution if the supported settings aint advertised. thats what every other owner said they had to do to get theirs to work. rtings said you have to force a custom resolution in order for 1080p 120hz to be supported on the x930e and thats what i had to do as well. they didn't do any testing on the panel in the 1440p 120hz department though.

alright well i guess after spending the better part of a day trying to make sense of this i've found some kind of rational explanation that now makes sense to me. my specific cpu on this tv is the culprit and it's deciding to just say fuck yeah to this 240hz signal...give me all you got....bring it on! and then it receives that signal and doesnt know what to do with it so it just reverts to running the only way that it knows how. this is why i didnt get the same kind of holy shit feeling that i did after enabling 120hz and then firing up a game after running 60 fps for the prior half of a decade. the whole 240 hz shit was simply just an illusion. it really was lying to me all along!

my tv got cocky and accepted the signal anyways without indicating to my pc that there was any problems. my tv pretended like its up for the task, but it's really not down for it at all. it tried to show up to work and fake it anyways, but it's not really passing my eye test. it's never checked out as a 240hz panel. and it's not even standing up to that testufo stuff either, which is supposed to be rather credible in terms of troubleshooting and display diagnostics

the only thing that really led me to believe anything else was the fact that my tv was reporting the signal and i wasnt noticing any screen tearing in the game that i was playing. but im gonna write that tearing shit off as a one off ordeal.

i was just confused as to why my tv would say okay lets do business when i sent over a 240 hz signal. it turns out it was the tv processor being a little too overconfident and said that it would do the job anyways, even though it showed up to work and just keeps doing the exact same shit it's done every other day.

anyways i think i'm done ranting here. i wasnt really ready to rest until i can put this one to bed and find any reasoning behind what was going on here but i think now i've figured it out or at least came up with a rational conclusion here. the god damn tv processor was accepting a signal from the gpu that it should have known better and ignored. and then it tried to run with it anyways hoping that i would never catch on. for fuck sakes. thats all i gotta say about that. im just gonna set my shit back to the way i had it and not think about this shit anymore. curse you random avsforum user and your random post i stumbled upon. i was totally had and you sent me down the god damn rabbit hole. never again! i almost want to make an account there and bump a 3 year old post just to voice my disgruntlement.

Last edited:
Ok, so are you going to apologize to Mick for being an asshole about it?

well technically he is still a little wrong about this particular panel and its capabilities, but i'm willing to let it go! the dude knows his shit though and he puts in the work in this thread which is why i kinda threw a bit of dirt at him a little. no foul intended.

but hey i was duped a little here too and it took me a long while to figure it all out. but my pc and my tv were lying to me and ordinarily this kind of shit wouldnt happen on very many displays and ive never even really heard of it before. from all my prior experience either a custom resolution will either force the display into running within the parameters i tell it to, or it will simply just refuse and not work at all. that's what kind of fucked me around here. i mean i know this was never a 240hz panel. i just didnt know why my tv would want to even touch any kind of signal that says 240hz. it had no business even talking to it! but it turns out the tv processor is more than likely the culprit here and thats kind of what fucked me sideways here. my bad though on that. i mean shit i dont even know of any 240hz tv panels on the market from any of the big tv manufacturers to this day, and i wouldnt figure that a tv would actually be able to overclock that high when most dedicated monitors will struggle to get any significant gains, so i should have known better than to even put myself down this rabbit hole in the first place. i almost want to slap myself over all of the time it wasted trying to get to the bottom of what the fuck kind of sorcery was going on.

iBuypower is similar in this regard, and a competitor that has had close corporate ties with Wal-Mart.
What do you mean by close corporate ties? Haven't heard that one before, so I'm curious.

What do you mean by close corporate ties? Haven't heard that one before, so I'm curious.
You're probably thinking I'm stating something more than what I am. I'm just talking about a large contract. Wal-Mart was the first retailer to sell their prebuilts, first party, en masse.

You're probably thinking I'm stating something more than what I am. I'm just talking about a large contract. Wal-Mart was the first retailer to sell their prebuilts, first party, en masse.
Fair enough. iBuyPower is always a fascinating company given their kinda sorta sister companies.

For what it's worth, CyberPower is Walmart's favorite gaming SI these days due to their ties to AMD and its AIBs that allow essentially otherwise impossibly priced prebuilds.

For whatever it's worth, it's also not bad time to pick up some discounted prebuilds at Walmart in the next couple months. They're close to wrapping up their big annual PC order. @Dirt Road Soldier

I was anxious and this if the fastest card I can get that can be delivered tomorrow. I wanted a 4080 super but gotta wait a few days at least to get it.

I was anxious and this if the fastest card I can get that can be delivered tomorrow. I wanted a 4080 super but gotta wait a few days at least to get it.
Well hopefully it's better than their 4070 Ti non Super.

I just bought a PNY 4070 ti super 16GB for $829 from Amazon. Should get it tomorrow.

I've got one, and the only downside I've found (aside from usual generic Nvidia issues with 3 monitors) is the need for very good case ventilation to avoid excessive noise when temperatures are above 30 degrees Celsius (I do have a PCIe 4x USB C Gen 3.2 2x2 card restricting airflow to the first fan though).
Doing OK with 4K and VR (Quest 2 and Quest 3), although I'd consider the 4070 Ti Super entry level for those resolutions.
I'm just running it at the out of box settings, haven't tried overclocking.

Well hopefully it's better than their 4070 Ti non Super.

It's the cheapest 4070 Ti Super here in Oz. $1300 AUD inc (4070 Ti Super MSRP in Oz is $1499), with the next cheapest available being the Zotac cards (Amp Holo or Trinity) for $1349 AUD. Definitely no frills. If you can get an Asus or Gigabyte for @$50 AUD more I'd grab one, but I don't consider forking out more than that for a better cooler, VRM, overclocking or aesthetics to be worth the money.

Microcenter is selling refurbished 30 series FE cards now. The pricing makes no sense though.

3090 Ti: $800
3090: $750
3080 Ti: $700
3080: $600

I guess the 3090 Ti is good for stuff other than games?

So the 7800X3D bundle is currently OOS at Microcenter because the mobo is OOS. They have another B650 with the exact same price in stock but they won't substitute it for some reason.

<34>

So the 7800X3D bundle is currently OOS at Microcenter because the mobo is OOS. They have another B650 with the exact same price in stock but they won't substitute it for some reason.

<34>
Is it a different brand? Because if so, it's probably tied to a certain brand's MDF.

Is it a different brand? Because if so, it's probably tied to a certain brand's MDF.
Same brand. Gigabyte B650 Gaming AX (part of the bundle and currently OOS) and Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX (18 in stock). Both are $200.

Back