Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Its been nearly a month with my new build. So that time has come where i offer people my old setup. All i ask is you pay shipping costs from New York to your location. If you wish to include more it would be nice but isnt required.

Build:
1. 5800X
2. 2x16gig DDR4 3600
3. MSI MPG X570
4. MSI 1080 ti
5. Acer 24.5" 240hz monitor
6. CPU heatsink is Fuma 2 Rev.B

This isnt all or nothing. Its just Pc hardware collecting dust that someone out there could probably use.

Still available? I can pay for shipment

looking at the rumored specs and pricing im a little bummed out i didnt hold off a year for a 4070ti super and even a 4080 super now that i know my psu can handle that. my 4070ti is still beasting but this still feels like a kick in the dick to me.

looking at the rumored specs and pricing im a little bummed out i didnt hold off a year for a 4070 ti super and even a 4080 super now that i know my psu can handle that. my 4070ti is still beasting but this still feels like a kick in the dick to me.
If the rumored specs are accurate the 4080 Super is one of the dumbest cards I've ever seen. It's barely better than the 4080, and it even has a lower VRAM bandwidth. This when the gap between the 4080 and 4090 was by far the most gaping. The only way this makes sense if all these rumors are true is that they plan an additional 4080 Ti and 4080 Ti Super release in the future. Uggh.

The 4070 Ti Super definitely looks like the best new buy of the three on paper, but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. You'd have paid $100 more for a somewhat marginal improvement a year later. When the RTX 5000 series that is likely to come a year or two from today will be a real leap forward.

The 4070 Super makes sense. Sort of makes the 4070 Ti a pointless purchase.

If the rumored specs are accurate the 4080 Super is one of the dumbest cards I've ever seen. It's barely better than the 4080, and it even has a lower VRAM bandwidth. This when the gap between the 4080 and 4090 was by far the most gaping. The only way this makes sense if all these rumors are true is that they plan an additional 4080 Ti and 4080 Ti Super release in the future. Uggh.

The 4070 Ti Super definitely looks like the best new buy of the three on paper, but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. You'd have paid $100 more for a somewhat marginal improvement a year later. When the RTX 5000 series that is likely to come a year or two from today will be a real leap forward.

The 4070 Super makes sense. Sort of makes the 4070 Ti a pointless purchase.

yeah the 4070ti gonna straight up be replaced with the super model, much like my 2080 was shortly after launch. at least this model seems worthwhile. they added more ram and gave it a 256 bit bus. i totally would have jumped on this had i known. too late now i guess. the 4080 super not so much. theyre expecting like a 5% performance increase which is meh. but its just gonna replace the 4080 so it is what it is i guess.

i feel like ive been upgrading in the wrong generations. i should have went from the 1080ti to a 3080ti and then skipped this gen for a 5000 series card. i dont think im gonna upgrade again next gen unless the performance increase phenominal, or all of the new games just decide to run shitty on "older" hardware.

whenever i feel its time to upgrade ill just go all out next time and do up another rig. though i'm not in any hurry.

Last edited:
yeah the 4070ti gonna straight up be replaced with the super model, much like my 2080 was shortly after launch. at least this model seems worthwhile. they added more ram and gave it a 256 bit bus. i totally would have jumped on this had i known. too late now i guess. the 4080 super not so much. theyre expecting like a 5% performance increase which is meh. but its just gonna replace the 4080 so it is what it is i guess.
This was something else that didn't make sense to me. Most recently, I read that NVIDIA was trying to flip the script on all the bad press and consumer ire directed at them over the 4000 series release with these Super cards, but I don't know how the 4080 Super priced at $1299, which is $100 more than the 4080, while barely an improvement, would make even a dent towards that goal. That's because the rumored price was wrong. So, unexpectedly, we have great news.

Nvidia’s RTX 4080 Super arrives on January 31st at a more reasonable $999

The 4070 Ti Super won't be $899, as previously rumored, but will supercede the 4070 Ti at the same $799 price point (the 4070 Ti is being phased out of production altogether). The 4070 Super won't be $699 as previously rumored, but is supplanting the 4070 at its original $599. NVIDIA will keep the 4070, just downrevise its price to $549.

All the rumored prices were wrong.

This, finally, makes sense of what I was writing before about the Super cards not making sense. Of course they didn't make sense. They're not broadening the portfolio of inventory. They're offering a mea culpa. Releasing a superior card for $200 cheaper doesn't create a new price point. It's renders the RTX 4080 obsolete at its MSRP, entirely. These Super cards are going to downshift the entire NVIDIA lineup's real market pricing. They are effectively replacing their predecessors. That's new. That's not what NVIDIA did with Super releases in the past.
i feel like ive been upgrading in the wrong generations. i should have went from the 1080ti to a 3080ti and then skipped this gen for a 5000 series card. i dont think im gonna upgrade again next gen unless the performance increase phenominal, or all of the new games just decide to run shitty on "older" hardware.

whenever i feel its time to upgrade ill just go all out next time and do up another rig. though i'm not in any hurry.
I think a ton of gamers held off and planned to upgrade with the RTX 3000 series, but the cryptosurge threw a wrench in that. 2020 & 2021 were fucked. Don't forget that. When would you have been able to purchase a 3080 Ti at a reasonable price? The 3080 Ti was released June 2021, but PCPP shows in its price history the average price didn't drop below its $1199 MSRP until July of 2022. Affirming this is that the EVGA FTW3, the most sold variant on Amazon, finally matched its MSRP the month before that in June 2022. Yet the RTX 4080 released a few months later in November, and the 4070 Ti followed in January 2023. I don't think you should be beating yourself up.

This was something else that didn't make sense to me. Most recently, I read that NVIDIA was trying to flip the script on all the bad press and consumer ire directed at them over the 4000 series release with these Super cards, but I don't know how the 4080 Super priced at $1299, which is $100 more than the 4080, while barely an improvement, would make even a dent towards that goal. That's because the rumored price was wrong. So, unexpectedly, we have great news.

Nvidia’s RTX 4080 Super arrives on January 31st at a more reasonable $999

The 4070 Ti Super won't be $899, as previously rumored, but will supercede the 4070 Ti at the same $799 price point (the 4070 Ti is being phased out of production altogether). The 4070 Super won't be $699 as previously rumored, but is supplanting the 4070 at its original $599. NVIDIA will keep the 4070, just downrevise its price to $549.

This, finally, makes sense of what I was writing before about the Super cards not making sense. Of course they didn't make sense. They're not broadening the portfolio of inventory. They're offering a mea culpa. Releasing a superior card for $200 cheaper doesn't create a new price point. It's renders the RTX 4080 obsolete at its MSRP, entirely. These Super cards are going to downshift the entire NVIDIA lineup's real market pricing. These Super cards are effectively replacing their predecessors. That's new. That's not what NVIDIA did with Super releases in the past.

I think a ton of gamers held off and planned to upgrade with the RTX 3000 series, but the cryptosurge threw a wrench in that. 2020 & 2021 were fucked. Don't forget that. When would you have been able to purchase a 3080 Ti at a reasonable price? The 3080 Ti was released June 2021, but PCPP shows in its price history the average price didn't drop below its $1199 MSRP until July of 2022. Affirming this is that the EVGA FTW3, the most sold variant on Amazon, finally matched its MSRP the month before in June. Yet the RTX 4080 released a few months later in November, and the 4070 Ti followed in January 2023. I don't think you should be beating yourself up.

yeah that crypto and pandemic shit really fucked everything around. i had a buddy who had the original 10 gb variant of a 3080 and he was willing to sell it to me super cheap with my 2080 thrown in but i never really bothered to follow through on it as i was happy enough with my 2080 at the time and wasnt really planning to upgrade until the 4000 series. perhaps i should have snatched it, im sure it would have held me over until the 5000 series if i just turn a bunch of settings down in newer games and shit.

this whole thing sours me, because part of me wants to hold off a year before my next upgrade just to see if they release a super variant of the model which is more worthwhile, but even if i do that, it would only be like a year until the next series of cards launch. i just think its stupid how my last 2 gpu's have been phased out of production shortly after launch. i dont even think my 2080 lasted 4 months before it got replaced lol.

Worth noting also the part that a lot of people missed was the rumors of rtx 4080 and rtx 4070 Ti production being halted. I reallt wouldnt trust pricing rumors, it's the easiest to change at the last minute and OEMs were told of the super refresh very late.

Also for what its worth im pretty sure I mentioned that OEMs and SI's were informed around October that pricing will be the same or close enough. And that the 4080 has sold quite poorly this generation.

These Super cards are going to downshift the entire NVIDIA lineup's real market pricing.
Its interesting because I see this as a logistical streamlining for Nvidia more than anything. They get to free up AD104 dies for quadro and RTX 4080 mobile. Yields must have been better than Nvidia expected.

Having said that, consumers will benefit with the price and discounting shuffle we're going to see, so still a partial win for them.

Worth noting also the part that a lot of people missed was the rumors of rtx 4080 and rtx 4070 Ti production being halted. I reallt wouldnt trust pricing rumors, it's the easiest to change at the last minute and OEMs were told of the super refresh very late.

Also for what its worth im pretty sure I mentioned that OEMs and SI's were informed around October that pricing will be the same or close enough. And that the 4080 has sold quite poorly this generation.

Its interesting because I see this as a logistical streamlining for Nvidia more than anything. They get to free up AD104 dies for quadro and RTX 4080 mobile. Yields must have been better than Nvidia expected.

Having said that, consumers will benefit with the price and discounting shuffle we're going to see, so still a partial win for them.
The most surprising thing to me isn't that the 4080 sales have probably been slower than past generations, given the sizeable markup they tagged on this generation, I mentioned that when this was debated last year, because when has a $1K+ card ever really moved a large volume of units?

The most surprising thing has been how well the 4090 has apparently sold, especially when you consider it's been inflated above its sky-high MSRP almost perpetually since launch. The latest Steam survey shows the 4090 at 0.90% of rigs compared to 1.16% for the 4070 Ti, or even 1.58% for the bestselling 4000-series 4070. The 3080 reached an all-time peak of 2.64% a few months ago despite having two more years of sales to accrue.

The most surprising thing to me isn't that the 4080 sales have probably been slower than past generations, given the sizeable markup they tagged on this generation, I mentioned that when this was debated last year, because when has a $1K+ card ever really moved a large volume of units?
Depends on what you mean by large volume. 3080 Ti and 3090 both did in a bit north of 10,000 units in the US prebuild market in their first year of availability less, and that market accounts for most of the US volume for GPUs. 4080 is not far behind that. 2080 Ti was much lower volume just due to RTX 20 have a smaller production run.
The most surprising thing has been how well the 4090 has apparently sold, especially when you consider it's been inflated above its sky-high MSRP almost perpetually since launch.
There's a couple things to unpack here, mostly because dedicated gamers or hardware nerds vastly overestimate how many top of the line GPUs are sold.
1. 4090 has sold less than half the volume of 3090 & 3080 in the US. Even if you account for stronger PC gaming markets like East Asia, it still lags way behind.
2. Price is effectively irrelevant for flagship GPUs. They are bought because they are the best at the moment, not because price is the same gen over gen or price was raised/cut $100.
The latest Steam survey shows the 4090 at 0.90% of rigs compared to 1.16% for the 4070 Ti, or even 1.58% for the bestselling 4000-series 4070.
The Steam survey is not a random sample and quite inaccurate compared to actual sales data. It's good for really broad generalizations, but not much more. Even if we assumed it had a MOE of only a couple percentage points (insanely high accuracy), all those percentages are well within MOE.

Gamers don't realize this because they don't get access to Circana data, but it's down to the individual unit. I can even tell you how many people returned a PC they bought. There is a reason that Circana is able to charge most PC manufactures a couple million a year for retail sales data, and I pretty much guarantee you Valve is a client of theirs.
The 3080 reached an all-time peak of 2.64% a few months ago despite having two more years of sales to accrue.
Just to give a illustration of how inaccurate Steam survey data is, it has the RTX 4060 Ti at barely more users than the 4090. That CyberPower RTX 4060 Ti desktop at Best Buy you called as a great November deal absolutely killed it, one of the top 10 fastest selling gaming towers since Covid started. That alone doubled how many total RTX 4090 prebuilds were sold in the US since its launch. Even if you assume that for 80% of RTX 4090s went to the DIY market, it's still not anywhere close to what RTX 4060 Ti prebuilds did in volume for November alone.

Depends on what you mean by large volume. 3080 Ti and 3090 both did in a bit north of 10,000 units in the US prebuild market in their first year of availability less, and that market accounts for most of the US volume for GPUs. 4080 is not far behind that. 2080 Ti was much lower volume just due to RTX 20 have a smaller production run.

There's a couple things to unpack here, mostly because dedicated gamers or hardware nerds vastly overestimate how many top of the line GPUs are sold.
1. 4090 has sold less than half the volume of 3090 & 3080 in the US. Even if you account for stronger PC gaming markets like East Asia, it still lags way behind.
2. Price is effectively irrelevant for flagship GPUs. They are bought because they are the best at the moment, not because price is the same gen over gen or price was raised/cut $100.
<TrumpWrong1>

If this were true, the Titan cards would have outsold the Ti cards in past generations. They were repeatedly a niche with no meaningful demand. The reason the 4090 is doing well, obviously, is because NVIDIA purposely put a massive gap between it and the next best card, and AMD couldn't offer a competitor.

Price always matters. Always.

If this were true, the Titan cards would have outsold the Ti cards in past generations
The Titan cards sold more poorly than --90s due to existing in a pre-Covid market and not being released to system integrators in large quantities. I don't think you realize how big a player CyberPower and iBuyPower became during the Covid boom.
The reason the 4090 is doing well, obviously, is because NVIDIA purposely put a massive gap between it and the next best card, and AMD couldn't offer a competitor.
That's part of it. But it's a halo product, not a value purchase. It's like if a supercar was priced at $2 million or $2.1 million. People willing to pay the former aren't going to suddenly shake their head at an extra $100 K. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Like I said, you need to take Steam survey data with a huge grain of salt. It's not anywhere accurate enough to lean on for intergeneration GPU sales. You don't have to believe me when I refer to Circana data, but as I pointed out MOE pretty much makes differentiating between RTX 40s impossible.

The Titan cards sold more poorly than --90s due to existing in a pre-Covid market and not being released to system integrators in large quantities. I don't think you realize how big a player CyberPower and iBuyPower became during the Covid boom.

That's part of it. But it's a halo product, not a value purchase. It's like if a supercar was priced at $2 million or $2.1 million. People willing to pay the former aren't going to suddenly shake their head at an extra $100 K. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Like I said, you need to take Steam survey data with a huge grain of salt. It's not anywhere accurate enough to lean on for intergeneration GPU sales. You don't have to believe me when I refer to Circana data, but as I pointed out MOE pretty much makes differentiating between RTX 40s impossible.
I'm sure what you're saying about sales data is accurate, and I know any survey that relies on information that is volunteered will never be perfectly reliable. I also agree that at the luxury end of goods consumers tend to care very little about price. However, bear in mind, none of these GPUs is genuinely a luxury-class good. They're all relatively cheap. We aren't talking about Ferraris or yachts. Remember, even Apple users scoffed at the monitor stand.

In the wold of personal computing, price has always mattered. Always.

However, bear in mind, none of these GPUs is genuinely a luxury-class good. They're all relatively cheap.
A -90 class GPU is absolutely a luxury purchase by the standards of the industry. (They literally invented a more term for GPUs that are more than premium priced) Luxury is relative. I'm pretty sure we both would consider a gold plated toilet seat a luxury good even if it only costs a couple grand.
In the wold of personal computing, price has always mattered. Always.
I agree, I'm not saying it doesn't matter if the RTX 4090 is $1,000 or $2,000. My point is that whether it's $1,599 or $1,699 really doesn't affect demand for a halo product that is uneconomical for 99 percent of gamers at either price point.

hello gamers, in general, what you think about XPG power supplies?
I wanna get the XPG Core Reactor 750w, its enough for my system

The one you want is good.

depends on what specs you are pushing. mainly your cpu + gpu.

Last edited: