Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

I think @Madmick has recommended Cyberpower in the past.
I know of them, not a bad brand. Actually looking at a Maingear system right now, though. A few people I trust have said they build solid systems for the price, and are kind of a quiet budget option. And lord knows I am on a budget here.

Does Amazon honor mistakes/typos? They currently have a 7900 XT (not a 7800 XT) for $500. Even though it was $700 yesterday.
Yeah, most retailers have too. Some poor vendor is about to get hammered with a MAP violation lol.

Some interesting news from Microsoft.

DirectSR, a new API from Microsoft that will allow developers to easily bring NVIDIA DLSS, AMD FSR, and Intel XeSS support to their games, isn't the only announcement from the DirectX team at this year's GDC conference. It's also planning to showcase the "Work Graphs API," which will usher in "a new era of performance and efficiency."

It's a bold claim, to be sure, but Microsoft will be teaming up with AMD to demonstrate the new Work Graphs API in person at the special 'GPU Work Graphs: Welcome to the Future of GPU Programming' at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco on Monday, March 18, 1:20 pm, South Hall Room 303.

I know of them, not a bad brand. Actually looking at a Maingear system right now, though. A few people I trust have said they build solid systems for the price, and are kind of a quiet budget option. And lord knows I am on a budget here.
IIRC Maingear has done well on LTT's Secret Shopper the last couple times they've done it.

Sir, you may have missed my previous posts. I work for a tech company, and as I just stated I build servers for a living. I can 100% build a gaming PC. Hell, I could probably just take it to work and do it in my spare time.

Why on gods green earth would I take it somewhere where it costs me money to have some snot nosed kids who are probably wasted on god only knows what touch my components? I barely even trust my coworkers, taking my current rig in was a last resort.
MC isn't snotnosed kids. It's the best PC-focused company in existence. They would handle your components professionally. You don't have to "take it" there, although you can. Alternatively, you may buy the components directly from them, and they assemble the PC for you before you arrive to pick it up. Their prices are the best in the world: better than Amazon or Best Buy or Wal-Mart or anyone else. And, for perspective, that's just what companies that sell you a prebuilt are doing. They're sparing you the hassle of assembly. A key difference is that prebuilts don't include the extra hardware that comes boxed with individual component sales (ex. extra screws, mounting brackets, drive cages, NVMe heatsinks, ties, etc). If you order the components yourself, or from MC directly, you get everything that comes in the box.

Ultimately, this all comes down to cost. That's the most appealing aspect of prebuilts. They eclipsed the self-builder market in value years back, for those with knowledge who espy the right units, before COVID actually, and it's never changed.

As has been said, Maingear has done well in LTT secret shopper vids. It's popular to trash CyberpowerPC, but their prebuilts enjoy high customer ratings on Amazon. Their biggest issue during the pandemic was that they were overwhelmed with orders, and they took way too long with shipment of customized assemblies ordered directly from their website (sometimes 4-10 months longer than the advertised shipping date). There was also mass anecdote of an atrocious customer service response that similarly took months to respond to complaints, or didn't address them at all. So the units from Amazon themself that are pre-assembled are probably a safer bet. iBuypower is similar in this regard, and a competitor that has had close corporate ties with Wal-Mart. Skytech is another company that has done well in most reviews that Gamers Nexus has performed on their prebuilt units via Amazon. They typically use praiseworthy components, and offer a very strong value.

There are companies to avoid. STGAubron, for example, is a brand on the rise on Amazon that is a scam. Avoid.

MC isn't snotnosed kids. It's the best PC-focused company in existence. They would handle your components professionally. You don't have to "take it" there, although you can. Alternatively, you may buy the components directly from them, and they assemble the PC for you before you arrive to pick it up. Their prices are the best in the world: better than Amazon or Best Buy or Wal-Mart or anyone else. And, for perspective, that's just what companies that sell you a prebuilt are doing. They're sparing you the hassle of assembly. A key difference is that prebuilts don't include the extra hardware that comes boxed with individual component sales (ex. extra screws, mounting brackets, drive cages, NVMe heatsinks, ties, etc). If you order the components yourself, or from MC directly, you get everything that comes in the box.

Ultimately, this all comes down to cost. That's the most appealing aspect of prebuilts. They eclipsed the self-builder market in value years back, for those with knowledge who espy the right units, before COVID actually, and it's never changed.

As has been said, Maingear has done well in LTT secret shopper vids. It's popular to trash CyberpowerPC, but their prebuilts enjoy high customer ratings on Amazon. Their biggest issue during the pandemic was that they were overwhelmed with orders, and they took way too long with shipment of customized assemblies ordered directly from their website (sometimes 4-10 months longer than the advertised shipping date). There was also mass anecdote of an atrocious customer service response that similarly took months to respond to complaints, or didn't address them at all. So the units from Amazon themself that are pre-assembled are probably a safer bet. iBuypower is similar in this regard, and a competitor that has had close corporate ties with Wal-Mart. Skytech is another company that has done well in most reviews that Gamers Nexus has performed on their prebuilt units via Amazon. They typically use praiseworthy components, and offer a very strong value.

There are companies to avoid. STGAubron, for example, is a brand on the rise on Amazon that is a scam. Avoid.
Mad, I love ya. Thank you for this well thought out, and detailed response.

However....

MC in St Louis park is the largest, most giant, most hardcore, I cannot even describe it properly travesty ever. jesus fuck that place is awful. I wouldnt trust them to test a fucking GPU, let alone my tower. We have sent them parts, that were EXACTLY what they asked for, down to the software, and had them come back with the most basic google ass shit questions because their general workers can't do shit.

Mad, I love ya. Thank you for this well thought out, and detailed response.

However....

MC in St Louis park is the largest, most giant, most hardcore, I cannot even describe it properly travesty ever. jesus fuck that place is awful. I wouldnt trust them to test a fucking GPU, let alone my tower. We have sent them parts, that were EXACTLY what they asked for, down to the software, and had them come back with the most basic google ass shit questions because their general workers can't do shit.
So what? Dell and other major corporations have all been skewered by Gamers Nexus and other tech channels for incompetent assembly or other build quality issues for mass sold prebuilt units-- many times. All of them. Your critical eye is unbalanced. The assembly line model isn't this perfected process where each stage of design and assembly is seamlessly managed. The same type of incompetence, if one judges things this harshly, is prevalent with prebuilts. The workers you don't see over in Asia aren't more capable of handling your parts.

alright folks, ive got a weird one here that i cant figure out.

i have a sony x930e bravia 4ktv. it's a 120hz panel, at according to rtings and everything. a premium panel back when i bought it and still holds up very well. although it doesnt have hdmi 2.1 ports as it was a year before those got implemented into the premium sony, lg and samsung panels so it cannot handle a 4k 120hz signal over hdmi as the bandwidth required for that resolution and refresh rate alongside of any color settings that exceeds the maximum 18gbps of bandwidth that hdmi 2.0b can handle. but it still handles 1440p and 1080p @ 120hz perfectly fine.

but heres the thing, i was reading some stuff from people on avsforums and one guy was able to get his x930e to run 1080p @ 240hz as well as 1440p @ 144hz. so i decided to try it out for myself and create a custom 1080p 240hz resolution, and low and behold my tv accepted it.

dsddt.jpg

and i'm dumbfounded as to why. theres no motion smoothing technology or anything. i run my shit in game mode with all of the post processing and cinematic shit disabled. there is no motion interpolation or anything enabled. my pc is sending out a native 240hz signal and my display seems to be accepting it, when i didn't think that it was supposed to.

so i'm thinking is this some kind of fuckery here, is my computer playing tricks on me? how is my tv accepting a 240hz signal when from everything i'm aware of its supposed to be a 120hz panel

so i hit the display button on my tv which on the top left side of the screen brings up the time and the hdmi port currently being displayed. on the bottom left it shows picture mode and on the top right side it displays the current resolution and refresh rate. low and behold its's displaying 1080p 240hz

IMG_20240303_153411d554_HDR.jpg

took that picture of my tv with my shitty old phone displaying the input signal popup when i hit the display button on my remote, and had to resize because forum told me original file size is too large to upload

but anyways, dumbfounded. i'm still not convinced this is legit all because this is supposed to be a 120hz panel. so i disabled my frame rate limiters and enabled vsync, just to lock whatever framerate i'm putting out to be limited to whatever refresh rate i am putting running.....in this case 240 fps would be the maximum amount of frames per second i would be able to achieve in a game. if there was any kind of fuckery going on i would only be able to hit 120fps. this will completely rule out all doubt.

so i launched path of exile, knowing that i can hit 120fps easy on that, if i can drive anything over that with vsync on then i know for sure my pc is putting out a 240hz signal and my tv is accepting and displaying it. and running the steam fps count overlay on the top left corner of the screen and the windows game bar fps counter pinned to the right, low and behold, it's putting out 240 fps with vsync on.

dsdsdt.jpg

that seemed to confirm everything is actually the way it's saying it is. but it still puzzles me as to why this is happening. and i wasnt getting any screen tearing either which is easilly noticeable to me on such a large display if i start pushing any more frames beyond my refresh rate.

if i was sending out a 120hz signal to the monitor and driving any more frames than that, i would notice the tearing right away. thats why i tend to limit my fps. and if the display was actually running in 120hz and i'm sitting here playing a game and sending 240 frames per second to it, the screen tearing would be blatantly obvious to me within seconds even a couple frames over the refresh rate is enough to give me screen tearing. but running vsync or capping my framerate to match the refresh rate im running has always eliminated any kind of tearing altogether.

and the testufo.com website is doing 240hz tests just fine.

all things seem to be confirming that i am indeed getting a 240hz signal and i'm still dumbfounded as to why this is happening. this can't be an illusion. ive already eliminated that out of the equation. and the mouse and motions in the game seems to move even smoother and shit. no screen tearing, which would be the first obvious sign to me that my display can't handle anything over 120fps.

i thought that this was supposed to be a 120hz panel, but it seems to be handling a 240hz signal just fine . did i really just overclock the shit out of my display? is this even safe? if so then fuck yeah, because i often have to cap my framerate in games to 120 fps, and i run at 1440p and still thats barely enough to make my 4070ti sweat in many games. if i can step the resolution down to get 240 fps, i can probably drive my pc to its full potential and get the most out of it, despite bumping down the resolution. though the cpu and upscaler on my x930e is phenominal where 1080p all the way to 4k are hardly distinguishable.

i mean i should be really happy that i was able to achieve this on my tv, but at the same time i am wondering just how the hell this is even happening. instead of just up and running with my custom resolution, windows should have simply just black screened on me the moment that i punched in 240hz into the refresh rate and then hit test. either the display will handle it, or it won't. there's no real in-between with this shit. but why this is happening is beyond my level of expertise.

but this is a fucking game changer right here for shit like racing games and call of duty. and pretty much every game actually. that cuts the frame time in half and eliminates even more potential input lag, and the games just feel more smoother. i had no idea this set is apparently capable for 240hz. but for some reason unbeknownst to me, it seems to be accepting it just fine. i just hope this won't brick my tv or anything, because i wouldn't mind me some even higher-refresh gaming.

i'm still perplexed by this. i thought i'd post this here hoping maybe somebody could give me some insight on this. i mean at this point the only main concern i have is whether or not running my display this far past what i assume to be it's technical specifications is gonna cause any type of damage my display? i'm not sure if this is some kind of wild overclock thats gonna be a ticking time bomb, or if this panel will actually support such a signal it was never advertised for. it appears to be supporting it just fine right now. i'm just not sure if this is something that i shouldn't be doing.

Last edited:

i have a sony x930e bravia 4ktv. it's a 120hz panel, at according to rtings and everything. a premium panel back when i bought it and still holds up very well. although it doesnt have hdmi 2.1 ports as it was a year before those got implemented into the premium sony, lg and samsung panels so it cannot handle a 4k 120hz signal over hdmi as the bandwidth required for that resolution and refresh rate alongside of any color settings that exceeds the maximum 18gbps of bandwidth that hdmi 2.0b can handle. but it still handles 1440p and 1080p @ 120hz perfectly fine.

but heres the thing, i was reading some stuff from people on avsforums and one guy was able to get his x930e to run 1080p @ 240hz as well as 1440 @ 144hz. so i decided to try it out for myself and create a custom 1080p 240hz resolution, and low and behold my tv accepted it.

View attachment 1032710

and i'm dumbfounded as to why. theres no motion smoothing technology or anything. i run my shit in game mode with all of the post processing and cinematic shit disabled. there is no motion interpolation or anything enabled. my pc is sending out a native 240hz signal and my display seems to be accepting it, when i didn't think that it was supposed to.

so i'm thinking is this some kind of fuckery here, is my computer playing tricks on me? how is my tv accepting a 240hz signal when from everything i'm aware of its supposed to be a 120hz panel

so i hit the display button on my tv which on the top left side of the screen brings up the time and the hdmi port currently being displayed. on the bottom left it shows picture mode and on the top right side it displays the current resolution and refresh rate. low and behold its's displaying 1080p 240hz

View attachment 1032724

took that picture of my tv with my shitting phone displaying the input signal popup when i hit the display button on my remote, and had to resize because forum told me original file size is too large to upload

but anyways, dumbfounded. i'm still not convinced this is legit all because this is supposed to be a 120hz panel. so i disabled my frame rate limiters and enabled vsync, just to lock whatever framerate i'm putting out to be limited to whatever refresh rate i am putting running.....in this case 240 fps would be the maximum amount of frames per second i would be able to achieve in a game. if there was any kind of fuckery going on i would only be able to hit 120fps. this will completely rule out all doubt.

so i launched path of exile, knowing that i can hit 120fps easy on that, if i can drive anything over that with vsync on then i know for sure my pc is putting out a 240hz signal and my tv is accepting and displaying it. and running the steam fps count overlay on the top left corner of the screen and the windows game bar fps counter pinned to the right, low and behold, it's putting out 240 fps with vsync on.

View attachment 1032715

that seemed to confirm everything is actually the way it's saying it is. but it still puzzles me as to why this is happening. and i wasnt getting any screen tearing either which is easilly noticeable to me on such a large display if i start pushing any more frames beyond my refresh rate.

if i was sending out a 120hz signal to the monitor and driving any more frames than that, i would notice the tearing right away. thats why i tend to limit my fps. and if the display was actually running in 120hz and i'm sitting here playing a game and sending 240 frames per second to it, the screen tearing would be blatantly obvious to me within seconds even a couple frames over the refresh rate is enough to give me screen tearing. but running vsync or capping my framerate to match the refresh rate im running has always eliminated any kind of tearing altogether.

all things seem to be confirming that i am indeed getting a 240hz signal and i'm still dumbfounded as to why this is happening. this can't be an illusion. ive already eliminated that out of the equation. and the mouse and motions in the game seems to move even smoother and shit. no screen tearing, which would be the first obvious sign to me that my display can't handle anything over 120fps.

i thought that this was supposed to be a 120hz panel, but it seems to be handling a 240hz signal just fine . did i really just overclock the shit out of my display? is this even safe? if so then fuck yeah, because i often have to cap my framerate in games to 120 fps, and i run at 1440p and still thats barely enough to make my 4070ti sweat in many games. if i can step the resolution down to get 240 fps, i can probably drive my pc to its full potential and get the most out of it, despite bumping down the resolution. though the cpu and upscaler on my x930e is phenominal where 1080p all the way to 4k are hardly distinguishable.

i mean i should be really happy that i was able to achieve this on my tv, but at the same time i am wondering just how the hell this is even happening. instead of just up and running with my custom resolution, windows should have simply just black screened on me the moment that i punched in 240hz into the refresh rate and then hit test. either the display will handle it, or it won't. there's no real in-between with this shit. but why this is happening is beyond my level of expertise.

but this is a fucking game changer right here for shit like racing games and call of duty. and pretty much every game actually. that cuts the frame time in half and eliminates even more potential input lag, and the games just feel more smoother. i had no idea this set is apparently capable for 240hz. but for some reason unbeknownst to me, it seems to be accepting it just fine. i just hope this won't brick my tv or anything, because i wouldn't mind me some even higher-refresh gaming.

i'm still perplexed by this. i thought i'd post this here hoping maybe somebody could give me some insight on this. i mean at this point the only main concern i have is whether or not running my display this far past what i assume to be it's technical specifications is gonna cause any type of damage my display? i'm not sure if this is some kind of wild overclock thats gonna be a ticking time bomb, or if this panel will actually support such a signal it was never advertised for. it appears to be supporting it just fine right now. i'm just not sure if this is something that i shouldn't be doing.
Can you paste the link to the AVS forums thread? I've never heard of a TV reaching 240hz.

Can you paste the link to the AVS forums thread? I've never heard of a TV reaching 240hz.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-x930e-is-an-awesome-set-for-gamers.2135045/ is where i saw it. and then i tried it myself. and it worked.

who would have known? i mean either the display is going to support that resolution and refresh rate, or its not. you'll know right away when you click test...if its unsupported it would black screen. it wouldnt allow you to save that custom resolution and then apply it.

i've never heard of such a thing myself. but i managed to do it on this panel. there's nothing indicating at all that it isn't and i've pretty much ran through the elimination process and i'm concluding that it works. the thing that solidified it was running at 240fps and not getting any tearing. if my tv was still running in 120hz, despite accepting the pc signal and falsely displaying its resolution and refresh rate that my 2'nd hdmi port, i would have noticed screen tearing immediately when i go to move the character or do anything in the game because the game was running at 240fps. like i said, even a couple frames per second over the refresh rate makes tearing noticeable on this panel. i wasnt getting it at all

and the whole vsync thing confirms it too. without limiting my frames, i just turn on vsync and it locks to the refresh rate i'm sending out. in this case it was 240fps. if i turned my refresh rate down to 120hz then the game will max out at 120fps.

between the tv accepting the signal, displaying that it is running that signal, vsync working the way it should, and most of all i'm not getting any screen tearing when running above 120fps, there's really nothing that indicates that this panel is not actually reaching 240fps. which is ridiculous. i mean i know i have a capable tv, but i didn't know it was this capable.

Last edited:

but heres the thing, i was reading some stuff from people on avsforums and one guy was able to get his x930e to run 1080p @ 240hz as well as 1440p @ 144hz. so i decided to try it out for myself and create a custom 1080p 240hz resolution, and low and behold my tv accepted it.

View attachment 1032710

View attachment 1032724

took that picture of my tv with my shitting phone displaying the input signal popup when i hit the display button on my remote, and had to resize because forum told me original file size is too large to upload

View attachment 1032715

Just because your game is rendering at 240 fps doesn't mean that is what your display is showing you. Unlock the framerate, and your fps counter will show you this. It will run up to over 600 if your PC is strong enough and the game's demands low enough even though no screen on earth can show this.

Normally, a display won't allow you to select refresh rates higher than the display in the NVIDIA control panel, but I wouldn't read too much into it, all of those settings have to be supported, it's probable the TV's firmware just isn't as well developed to integrate with computer GPU software as most computer monitors. So all that's happening is you're sending a 240Hz signal to the TV, but the processor in the TV is somehow handling that by simply downscaling the refresh rate to one it can handle.

In fact, your TV isn't even a true 120Hz display. It's actually just 60Hz. When the 120Hz is active that's because it already is motion smoothing. It's a "fake refresh rate" as Rtings calls it. This is confirmed by Sony itself:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-55x930e/specifications
Sony spec sheet said:
  • VIDEO SIGNAL SUPPORT​

1080p (60)/1080i (60)/720p (60)/480p/480i, 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60 Hz), 1080p (30, 60 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p, 480i
  • MOTION ENHANCER (NATIVE HZ)​

Motionflow™ XR 960 (native 120 Hz)

*Edit*
Having said all that, I won't say it's impossible that NVIDIA software is somehow overriding the TV's default calibration, and somehow forcing the TV to render 240 frames per second. Technically, it has enough bandwidth to support 1080p@240Hz with that input. One would assume the TV would suffer some kind of penalty to the image since it wasn't designed to do that, but if you're seeing a smoother image, who knows...could be the hardware is capable of it, but that isn't how Sony calibrated it to function because there was no reason for a 2017 mass market TV to run at 240Hz. On the other hand, it's also possible the TV's processor is simply using the same motion smoothing built into it to artificially interpolate 240fps the same way it does 120fps by design. The latter seems more likely to me.

Last edited:
Just because your game is rendering at 240 fps doesn't mean that is what your display is showing you. Unlock the framerate, and your fps counter will show you this. It will run up to over 600 if your PC is strong enough and the game's demands low enough even though no screen on earth can show this.

Normally, a display won't allow you to select refresh rates higher than the display in the NVIDIA control panel, but I wouldn't read too much into it, all of those settings have to be supported, it's probable the TV's firmware just isn't as well developed to integrate with computer GPU software as most computer monitors. So all that's happening is you're sending a 240Hz signal to the TV, but the processor in the TV is somehow handling that by simply downscaling the refresh rate to one it can handle.

In fact, your TV isn't even a true 120Hz display. It's actually just 60Hz. When the 120Hz is active that's because it already is motion smoothing. It's a "fake refresh rate" as Rtings calls it. This is confirmed by Sony itself:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-55x930e/specifications

explain to me how running the game with no frame limit set and with vsync on, why it would magically top the game out at 240fps.

vsync LOCKS the frame rate to never ever ever go over the refresh rate. i wouldnt be able to hit 600fps because i had vsync on. it caps the fps to the refresh rate.

and it didnt allow me to select that 240 hz refresh option until i created a custom resolution, hit test, and the display accepted it. if it wouldn't accept the refresh rate i would not be able to save that custom resolution and use it. i would have got a black screen and had to restart because my display wouldnt have supported it.

explain to me how running the game with no frame limit set and with vsync on, why it would magically top the game out at 240fps.
Because that's what you told it to do in NVIDIA's control panel.

Because that's what you told it to do in NVIDIA's control panel.

but why would it do that? why would my games top out at 240 fps and not 120 fps or some other arbitrary number when i run the game with vsync on?

VSYNC, short for Vertical Synchronization, is a display technology used to prevent screen tearing in graphics-intensive applications. It works by synchronizing the frame rate of your computer's graphics card with the refresh rate of your monitor.

Last edited:
before when i was running 1440p @ 120hz i had to set a 120fps frame limit to prevent screen tearing. which is noticeable and very easily distinguishable to me the moment i start pushing anywhere over 120fps. i have to do that on my other 60hz tv and limit my shit to 60fps or use vsync to avoid any tearing when i'm hitting over 60fps on that display.

lets just say that my tv is lying to me, the nvidia control panel is lying to me, windows is lying to me, vsync is lying to me, my framerate counters are all lying to me, and all of this shit is not for real.....lets just say that all of that isn't really happening and the panel is still operating at 120hz regardless of what everything else is telling me, regardless of vsync syncing up to the display's refresh rate it is set for, regardless of my tv not only accepting the custom resolution signal but also displaying the tv operating at that exact resolution and refresh rate, regardless of what everything else is telling me, if it's still only running at 120hz, then i should be experiencing some major fucking screen tearing going on when i'm driving double the amount of frames my tv can handle. when running @ 120hz just a few frames over 120 fps with no vsync or frame cap is enough to bother me.

after all, running games a few frames over 120fps while running @ 120hz already gives me noticeable screen tearing. if it was still only operating at 120fps, despite everything else indicating that it isnt, driving twice as many frames to this display would be atrocious to my eyes. i wouldnt even be able to move around without seeing the tearing. it would be hilariously awful.

but instead that isn't happening at all. i'm not getting any screen tearing which would be the first most obvious and easiest sign for me to pick up on that somethings not right. thats why i did it in the first place, to try to rule this shit out. it's like the end-all be-all process of elimination here. if i'm running a game at 240fps or even past 130 fps and this panel is only actually operating at 120hz, despite whatever my pc display settings say and despite what my tv input signal says, i'm going to notice the tearing right away. absolutely without a doubt. in any game i play.

but that didnt happen at all. something that would have easilly put all this to bed simply didnt happen. not only is it accepting a signal at over 120hz, but running games at over 120 fps but under 240 fps isnt giving off any tearing. something which it absolutely would be doing if i had set the display resolution to 120hz and didn't lock the framerate down. and something which it would be doing if the display was operating at 120hz and i was sending much more than 120 frames per second to it.

now i could record a video with my cellphone or something of me running my shit at 1080p 240hz and then running a game. if i turn on vsync its gonna be nice and smooth running at 240fps. but the very second that i turn the vsync off its gonna hit framerate numbers well over 240 fps and i'll be able to see the tearing instantly, and i'm sure my phone would be able to pick that up just as well. i could also capture some phone footage of me setting the refresh rate back down to 120hz and having the tearing show up the moment i start pushing over 120fps. easy peasy. now obviously i can't just bust out a capturing program on my computer and record the footage of such tearing because the video signal is just fine but the tearing only happens on the display once i start pushing more frames than the refresh rate.

but all i have all but accepted this as valid and this panel does indeed accept such a signal. if anybody would feel free to challenge it, pick a number between 125hz - 235hz and i'm sure i'll be able to test a custom resolution at that refresh rate, the panel will accept it, my pc will let me save and run that custom resolution, my tv signal will display that resolution and refresh rate when i hit a button on my remote control, vsync will lock the framerate down to that specific number, and with vsync off i will get tearing once i start hitting framerates over that number but not under it.

or at least find a different way to eliminate this altogether. if a display cant handle a certain resolution and refresh rate that you try to send to it, it simply won't work. you wouldnt be able to just go into the nvidia control panel or the display settings in your control panel and set an unsupported resolution and be able to run it because it would fail the moment you clicked the Test button. you would simply not be able to save that profile and use it. it wouldn't let you get any farther than that. full stop. if you try to put out a custom resolution that your display for any reason is not able to support, your display will not accept that signal and you'll get a black screen and have to restart your pc, reverting to the last known accepted resolution, refresh rate and color settings which your display was able to accept.

try it yourselves and create a custom resolution with a refresh rate much higher than your monitor supports. it's not going to allow you to save and apply that custom resolution let alone use it because it's going to fail the moment that you hit test and you won't be able to get any farther than that. i can do that with a secondary display right now if i even try to run it over 60hz it wont run because its an old ass 60hz tv that only accepts up to a 60hz signal...actually 62hz is as far as ive been able to get that display to accept.

but somehow im supposed to believe that my computer is lying to me by accepting the signal. my tv is now lying to me when i press the display button and it tells me that hdmi port 2 is now displaying a 1080p @ 240hz signal. vsync is lying to me when the framerate magically tops out with the 240 hz output signal that my pc is lying to my tv about sending . multiple framerate counters are lying to me. and hell, my eyes are now lying to me when im playing a game at over 120fps and still not getting any screen tearing. everything so far is either lying to me, or....god forbid, for some reason or another, this panel is actually receiving and supporting a 240hz signal and the pc is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing under these parameters.

i mean this shouldnt even be happening. i didnt want to believe it either, until i am seeing it with my own eyes. if a display cannot handle a supported resolution, refresh rate, or color settings, or if there is too much bandwidth required for the port to handle, it will simply just fail the moment you try to test a custom resolution. there is no fuckery, it puts out the exact signal you tell it to put out. either your display will support it, or it doesnt. and why this resolution was accepted, and why there are no indicators to suggest that it isn't doing everything that it says that it's doing, and visually appears to me that it's doing, is a little bit startling to me. some displays will "overclock" higher than others and you can get some 60 hz rated displays to run between 61-75hz. but i have no idea why this will accept a custom 240hz signal when i thought it was a 120hz panel. that seems way beyond the scope of what my tv should be able to handle.

but i guess i'm on the wrong forum here. all i really needed to know is whether or not this shit is safe or is damaging to my display. i know it's not supposed to be running at 240hz. i shouldnt have been able to have gotten this far. this tv had no business accepting the signal. if this was only operating at 120hz then i should be seeing some gnarly screen tearing all over my screen when i'm pushing well over 200 fps. there's nothing logically that is indicative that this panel is really not operating at such a high refresh rate, and everything i've tried so far has pointed to the conclusion that it actually is.

the vsync aligning with 240 fps to match my refresh rate and getting no tearing at framerates over 120fps is telling enough. but just how and why this panel is accepting such a signal, and is this even safe for the display is the only thing i havent been able to figure out.

Last edited:

*Edit*
Having said all that, I won't say it's impossible that NVIDIA software is somehow overriding the TV's default calibration, and somehow forcing the TV to render 240 frames per second. Technically, it has enough bandwidth to support 1080p@240Hz with that input. One would assume the TV would suffer some kind of penalty to the image since it wasn't designed to do that, but if you're seeing a smoother image, who knows...could be the hardware is capable of it, but that isn't how Sony calibrated it to function because there was no reason for a 2017 mass market TV to run at 240Hz. On the other hand, it's also possible the TV's processor is simply using the same motion smoothing built into it to artificially interpolate 240fps the same way it does 120fps by design. The latter seems more likely to me.

please try to get your shit right if you are going to help me out. the x930e is absolutely a native 120hz panel. period. and if you want to talk rtings.com lets go by what rtings.com has to say about this panel.

dsddd2t.jpg

dsddd2t.jpg

the tv is a native 120hz panel but it also has support for motion interpolation and can interpolate up to 960hz if you enable it to. . i don't have any post processing or motion interpolation enabled. the first thing i did when i got this panel was put it into game mode and disable all of the motion smoothing, post-processing, and cinematic shit, most of which is already disabled and locked by default. enabling interpolation only adds to input delay, and i would notice that plus the soap opera effect. yuck. i couldnt even watch tv like that.

it's not marketed for 120fps. back in 2017 not many tv's were native 120hz panels. they were harder to come by. it was either the x900e, the x930e, and a couple other luxury brand models of bravia's from sony, the lg oled models, and maybe one of the samsung panels was able to do it at the time. but not even the trusty old samsung ks8000 would be able to accept a 120hz signal over hdmi, even though it is also a native 120hz panel but is not able to accept a 120hz signal from any device due to some kind of limitations on the tv hardware itself, and still to this day there have never been any firmware updates, anmd nobody's ever been able to figure out how to send a 120hz signal to that thing over hdmi. native 120hz tv panels were few and far between back in that time and high refresh gaming outside of pc's were just starting to catch on.

the x930e and similar models weren'tt even being marketed as such because 120fps wasnt a marketable thing back then. the new xbox and playstation consoles werent out. 120fps and high refresh gaming wasnt a thing on consoles like it is on pc. and sony wasnt marketing their tv's designed mostly for pc gamers in mind. pc gaming was an afterthought on a tv., , we just got to the point where hdmi 2.1 was right around the corner, so they didnt even bother to market that high refresh pc gaming, even though the tv supports it to a certain extent, and you want to jump through a bit of hoops to set it up

on this model you have to specifcally go out of your way to enable high speed HDMI over your hdmi ports through the tv settings. only 2 of the 4 ports support it. , and you you have to go out of your way to enable 120hz through the tv settings and use high speed hdmi cables, and customize the signal youre sending to it through your pc or console. the average joe who just watches seinfeld all day and picked this model up from the pawn shop one day would have no idea about the capabilities of this display. in 2017 the x930e and the 7 series LG OLED's were pretty much the cream of the crop when you were looking for the most functional premium displays without having to spend over 5 figures. it's pissed me off that you would try to suggest to me that this is not a 120hz panel when it very well is a 120hz panel, it very well does support 120hz, and the main reason why i bought this panel is because it supports 120hz at lower resolutions. i know what i have.

the other 120hz options at the time were very limited. only now is high refresh rate tv's becoming more frequent. when i was on the market i was torn beween the x930e and the C7 and they both had everything that i wanted. i would have went for a LG C7 at the time just because of the truer blacks, and it was also a very capable 120hz panel just like the x930e but i was specifically buying for a pc monitor and i was too paranoid about getting burn in from the OLED. that ended up being the deal breaker so i went for the bravia instead.

and i can VERY MUCH tell the difference between 60fps and 120fps. not just how much smoother my games run but even the movement of the mouse pointer. if i drop it down to 60hz its super noticeable, and i dont even want to run like that anymore. thats why i'm done with 4k 60hz shit. i've sacrificed a little bit of resolution in exchange for a much higher refresh rate because the upscaler on this tv is phenominal already, and the difference between 60fps to 120 fps is night and day. everything is so much more responsive and smooth. i will never go back to 60 fps gaming. like i said, night and fucking day.

i'm disappointed in you madmick. i thought you knew your shit and you would at least be able to figure this kind of shit out. any kind of search for x930e 120hz would have told you all that you need to know about this panel.

Last edited:
but why would it do that? why would my games top out at 240 fps and not 120 fps or some other arbitrary number when i run the game with vsync on?

VSYNC, short for Vertical Synchronization, is a display technology used to prevent screen tearing in graphics-intensive applications. It works by synchronizing the frame rate of your computer's graphics card with the refresh rate of your monitor.
Because it's not necessarily syncing with your monitor's framerate, but what it errantly believes is your monitor's framerate according to the NVIDIA control panel output settings. Which is being emulated/interpolated by the motion smoothing.
and yes, my x930e absolutely is a native 120hz panel. period. and if you want to talk rtings.com lets go by what rtings.com has to say about this panel.
Yes, I took the time to look at the Rtings before I posted that because I was confused. I wasn't sure which refresh rate they were quoting. Consistent with their link about "fake refresh rates", Sony's listing there would indicate it is a 120Hz display (as it claims a 960Hz MotionXR). But for whatever reason it doesn't appear to accept 120Hz signals; meaning that it may output a true 120Hz image, it's refreshing the image 120 times per second, but it is doubling that image from a true 60Hz source. I don't know, that doesn't make sense, maybe it's weird Sony jargon having to do with the digital antennae, it's not referring to input sources from hardwired connections, but the point is that the TV is clearly engineered to interpolate frames. This is what leads me to believe the software may be lying to you about 240Hz. It has something to do with the processor in the TV responsible for interpolation. Perhaps NVIDIA's control panel is somehow brute forcing that on your computer's side to execute at 240Hz. That seems credible as it supposedly supports interpolation up to a fake 960Hz.

I'm aware of how NVIDIA control panel works, and that the 240Hz wouldn't usually even appear in the drop-down menu with a lower refresh rate display. But I don't always trust what software is telling me. You appear convinced Sony overengineered this panel, and it is capable of performance that panels selling for an entire price class above at the time were capable of doing. I'm inclined to incredulity, there, because that would seem like an inefficient business model. But I suppose it's possible if Sony used the same panels in those TVs that were used in their higher-end TVs, and they just nerfed them on the software side to create a product for a lower price point.

Ultimately, what is your "hack" achieving? I would point to the fact Rtings showed in testing the 100% response time was 12.7ms with the Rise/Fall at 5.3ms. Ergo, that TV isn't fast enough to support 240Hz. You should be seeing rampant ghosting. Vsync would add so much latency this should become obvious even at such a high framerate. It simply isn't capable of operating cleanly at that speed.

But you insist it's a smoother image. Okay, then go with that. At the end of the day, that's what matters.

But you insist it's a smoother image. Okay, then go with that. At the end of the day, that's what matters.
sure is. its night and day. i have a 60hz panel parked right beside it. never going back to 60fps gaming. 60hz to 120hz is night and fucking day buddy. and now i'm being told that i am just being deceived by just about everything, including my eyes.

as for the rest of your shit, it's whack. i know what i have. and yes, as far as the motion interpolation it has support for motion interpolation. as an optional feature. you have to enable it at first to even activate it. to even use that feature you have to turn on motionflow and cinemotion and then you adjust the motion smoothing to adjust how many 120hz increments it goes up by. you cant even enable that shit in game mode even if you wanted to. it disables all of that interpolation and post processing bullshit. i cant even run my shit with that on. i find that it just adds to the input lag and i get a bit of ghosting. i keep that shit turned off. some people like that soap opera bullshit. not me. if i wanted a 60hz panel with soap opera interpolation, there were hundreds of other 4K tv model's on the market for that, at a few thousand dollars cheaper, and not just a small amount of 120hz panels that you can literally count on just two hands like there was in 2017.

i guess rtings must be lying too right? they must be lying when they said it has a native 120hz refresh rate. they must be lying to me when they say that it is a native 120hz panel. they must be lying to me when it says that it has 1080p 120hz support. they must be lying when they tested the input lag at 14.5 MS at 1080p 120hz. even though it feels a hell of alot more responsive at those settings than it does at 60hz on any resolution and i swear on the bible that i will never go back. they must have been lying when they tell you that 120hz is supported but you have to create a custom resolution, even though thats what i had to do in order to get the signal to work with my pc on top of a bunch of other steps. they must be lying when they told you how to specifically enable 120hz at 1080p on this particular tv through your xbox series x and low and behold thats what i had to do to get 120 hz support over my series x, just like it said. imagine that!

dsdd2t.jpg

dsddd2t.jpg

rtings is also full of shit now too i guess. and even chat gpt is pulling a fast one on me!

IMG_20240303_153411d554_HDdR.jpg

everything is lying to me mick. i cant trust my most trusted tv review website. i cant trust anybody on avs forums. i cant trust any other reviews on this model. i cant trust what every other owner of this awesome panel has to say about it. i cant trust artificial intelligence. i can't even trust my own eyes anymore! but at least i'll have to take your word as gospel. there's no way they would ever put out any 120hz panels back in 2017, but if there ever was, the x930e wouldnt be one of them. nope. even though everybody is saying otherwise, all the reviews are saying otherwise, everything is saying otherwise, once again everybody is just lying right to my face. man i sure wish i would have known that this 120hz panel could totally not actually achieve 120 hz before i spent all of the time doing the research on it and then spent thousands of dollars on it, setting it up, enabling high speed data on my 2nd and 3rd hdmi ports, and forcing the custom 120hz resolution just like everybody else says how it is to be done, and then watching in amazement not only that it works, but how much more smooth and responsive everything is.

i also had no idea that my old trusty 4690k cpu on my older pc could actually support 4.5 ghz clocks. but hey i punched a bunch of numbers in like 10 years ago, played around and low and behold it worked. and that old dog is still running. or maybe its just lying to me too. i guess all of my hardware monitoring software were lying to me as well, as i didn't see direct support for 4.5 ghz core clocks anywhere within the specification manual for that cpu directly saying that it has full on support for operating within those parameters.

absolutely no way i'll let them hoodwink me like that again. rtings be damned! brb gonna go book my appointment to the eye doctor. gonna set my shit back to 60hz and live with the more janky mouse movement, motion fluidity, response time and smoothness in my games. something that after spending 5 or 6 years running my shit at 60hz was easilly distinguishable and very recognizeable, pleasing and accomodating to my eyes from the moment i switched to it.

now i just need to find a way to get into my exact same nvidia control panel and get my other tv to accept a 120hz signal in the very same manner, i wouldnt have to suffer as much hey? though i cant put my figure on why exactly it will not accept a 120hz signal, or anything over 62hz for that matter. i don't want to have to ask rtings, or anybody on the internet, or even AI because they're all just gonna bullshit me anyways. the internet is all just a lie and i can't even trust my own eyes anymore.

or maybe everything else isn't lying to me. maybe there's a reason why what you are saying does not line up with what virtually everybody else who knows about this panel is saying. something that a simple search for x930e 120hz will teach you all you need to know and then some about this specific panel. perhaps you *gasp*....just might happen to be a little bit incorrect about something for a change.

this 120hz panel cannot accept a 120hz signal at 4k, because the hdmi 2.0 bandwidth prohibits it. for all lower resolutions it will accept a 120hz signal perfectly fine over the 2'nd and 3'rd hdmi ports after you configure high speed hdmi over the tv ports. i don't know why you want to try to insist its different. after i even pointed you to rtings when virtually everything and everybody on the internet will tell you differently and testify just how much better this panel runs at 120hz and how they had no issues at all about setting up the custom resolution to get it to run, other than the odd user plugging their gpu or console into an unsupported hdmi port.

i shouldnt even have to rebut this shit, but this pisses me off. i know what i have, and so does every other owner of this awesome and capable display.

Last edited:
sure is. its night and day. i have a 60hz panel parked right beside it. never going back to 60fps gaming. 60hz to 120hz is night and fucking day buddy. and now i'm being told that i am just being deceived by just about everything, including my eyes.

as for the rest of your shit, it's whack. i know what i have.

i guess rtings must be lying too right? they must be lying when they said it has a native 120hz refresh rate. they must be lying to me when they say that it is a native 120hz panel. they must be lying to me when it says that it has 1080p 120hz support. they must be lying, tested the input lag at 14.5 MS at 1080p 120hz. even though it feels a hell of alot more responsive at those settings than it does at 60hz on any resolution and i swear on the bible that i will never go back. they must have been lying when they tell you that 120hz is supported but you have to create a custom resolution, even though thats what i had to do in order to get the signal to work with my pc on top of a bunch of other steps. they must be lying when they told you how to specifically enable 120hz over 1080p on this particular tv through your xbox series x and low and behold thats what i had to do to get 120 hz support over my series x. imagine that!

View attachment 1032747

View attachment 1032748

rtings is also full of shit now too i guess. and even chat gpt is pulling a fast one on me!

View attachment 1032750

everything is lying to me mick. i cant trust my most trusted tv review website. i cant trust anybody on avs forums. i cant trust any other reviews on this model. i cant trust what every other owner of this awesome panel has to say about it. i cant trust artificial intelligence. i can't even trust my own eyes anymore! but at least i'll have to take your word as gospel. there's no way they would ever put out any 120hz panels back in 2017, but if there ever was, the x930e wouldnt be one of them. nope. even though everybody is saying otherwise, all the reviews are saying otherwise, everything is saying otherwise, once again everybody is just lying right to my face. man i sure wish i would have known that this 120hz panel could totally not actually achieve 120 hz before i spent all of the time doing the research on it and then spent thousands of dollars on it, setting it up, enabling high speed data on my 2nd and 3rd hdmi ports, and forcing the custom 120hz resolution just like everybody else says how it is to be done, and then watching in amazement not only that it works, but how much more smooth and responsive everything is.

i also had no idea that my old trusty 4690k cpu on my older pc could actually support 4.5 ghz clocks. but hey i punched a bunch of numbers in like 10 years ago, played around and low and behold it worked. and that old dog is still running. or maybe its just lying to me too. i guess all of my hardware monitoring software were lying to me as well, as i didn't see direct support for 4.5 ghz core clocks anywhere within the specification manual for that cpu directly saying that it has full on support for operating within those parameters.

absolutely no way i'll let them hoodwink me like that again. rtings be damned! brb gonna go book my appointment to the eye doctor. gonna set my shit back to 60hz and live with the more janky mouse movement, motion fluidity, response time and smoothness in my games. something that after spending 5 or 6 years running my shit at 60hz was easilly distinguishable and very recognizeable, pleasing and accomodating to my eyes from the moment i switched to it.

now i just need to find a way to get into my exact same nvidia control panel and get my other tv to accept a 120hz signal in the very same manner, i wouldnt have to suffer as much hey? though i cant put my figure on why exactly it will not accept a 120hz signal, or anything over 62hz for that matter. i don't want to have to ask rtings, or anybody on the internet, or even AI because they're all just gonna bullshit me anyways. the internet is all just a lie and i can't even trust my own eyes anymore.

or maybe everything else isn't lying to me. maybe there's a reason why what you are saying does not line up with what virtually everybody else who knows about this panel is saying. something that a simple search for x930e 120hz will teach you all you need to know and then some about this specific panel. perhaps you *gasp*....just might happen to be a little bit incorrect about something for a change.

this 120hz panel cannot accept a 120hz signal at 4k, because the hdmi 2.0 bandwidth prohibits it. for all lower resolutions it will accept a 120hz signal perfectly fine over the 2'nd and 3'rd hdmi ports after you configure high speed hdmi over the tv ports. i don't know why you want to try to insist its different after i even pointed you to rtings when virtually everything and everybody on the internet will tell you differently and testify just how much better this panel runs at 120hz and how they had no issues at all about setting up the custom resolution to get it to run, other than the odd user plugging their gpu or console into an unsupported hdmi port.

i shouldnt even have to rebut this shit, but this pisses me off. i know what i have, and so does every other owner of this awesome and capable display.
I don't know why you're bringing up Haswell Bridge CPU overclocking. Yes, you can overclock some displays. This isn't obscure. It's been known for years. In fact, numerous computer monitors over the past decade have advertised their overclocked speed in the main listing because manufacturers are usually eager to advertise this. However, typically, one has to go into the OSD settings somewhere to tweak that. Rtings is one of several reviewers that has discussed this in their reviews.

So it is unlikely a TV would be overclockeable without Sony advertising it. Again, I'll iterate for a third time in this exchange, it's possible your TV model slipped through the cracks, and is capable of a higher frequency. The nerds over at the AV sometimes catch this stuff. I'm not telling you that Rtings is lying to you about its native refresh rate. I've acknowledged this. I've only highlighted a strange discrepancy I observed when reviewing Sony's spec sheets, and I've simply posited some alternative explanations for why the software might be misleading about the 240Hz figure. Ultimately, Rtings own review indicates with objectively measured data that overclocking your display to 240Hz is beyond its capabilities to adequately handle. The response time is too slow.

But as with all things hardware, as gamers, we test settings with what we have, and we go with what looks best. I just said that. I don't understand why you're so combative. You're being excessively emotional about this. Just use whatever you like best. This isn't Israel vs. Palestine.

I don't know why you're bringing up Haswell Bridge CPU overclocking. Yes, you can overclock some displays. This isn't obscure. It's been known for years. In fact, numerous computer monitors over the past decade have advertised their overclocked speed in the main listing because manufacturers are usually eager to advertise this. However, usually, one has to go into the OSD settings somewhere to tweak that. Rtings is one of several reviewers that has discussed this in their reviews.

So it is unlikely a TV would be overclockeable without Sony advertising it. Again, I'll iterate for a third time in this exchange, it's possible your TV model slipped through the cracks, and is capable of a higher frequency. The nerds over at the AV sometimes catch this stuff. I'm not telling you that Rtings is lying to you about its native refresh rate. I've acknowledged this. I've only highlighted a strange discrepancy I observed when reviewing Sony's spec sheets, and I've simply posited some alternative explanations for why the software might be misleading about the 240Hz figure. Ultimately, Rtings own review indicates with objectively measured data that overclocking your display to 240Hz is beyond its capabilities to adequately handle. The response time is too slow.

But as with all things hardware, as gamers, we test settings with what we have, and we go with what looks best. I just said that. I don't understand why you're so combative. You're being excessively emotional about this. Just use whatever you like best. This isn't Israel vs. Palestine.

the 240hz thing is whats messing with me though thats the only reason i'm bringing this up. it's not supposed to accept that signal. and i cant figure out why it didnt just wonk out on me. . its some black magic shit and ive wasted a whole damn night trying to figure out why it at least wants to appear like it is accepting a signal that it has no business saying okay to.

i dont really notice any significant difference though. i mean when i first launched a game today it felt maybe a bit snappier i guess. or maybe that was just me waking up. but i'm not entirely convinced that it was doing anything....i mean 60fps to 120fps was a legit drastic improvement to me. but this shit didn't give me anything worth writing home about, which i would expect if i was going from 120 to 240fps. why arent i getting any "holy fucking shit" differences? so to me i just dont get it. i don't think it's doing what i want it to be doing. but why should it be saying OK to this signal to begin with?

though going from 60hz to 120hz was night and day. i swear on the bible man,that shit is legit. it was a game changer for me. i havent even looked back to 4k 60hz ever since. i didnt really even buy this set for 4k. i bought it for the 120hz support. and theres no way i would have went out and upgraded to a 4070ti just to run my shit at 60fps either if i wasnt noticing any monumental difference changing from 60 to 120hz and then hitting my frame target in games. night and day dude. anybody sitting here would be able to see it. even a half blind person could see it. that's why i havent looked back ever since. when i first got this thing to work i instantly seen what ive been missing out on all these years. i swear by it. now if i go back to the control panel and set this shit back to 60hz, i'm going to know instantaneously. it won't feel right at all to me like it has throughout the years and i'll know the refresh rate is well off from the moment i move my mouse. theres absolutely no mistaking it.

like shit, ive got a 60hz 50 inch tv parked right beside my sony. instead of running it to my 2n'd desktop, i could just take the hdmi cable and plug it into my main pc and and set it as a secondary display to run in clone mode instead of extended desktop. that way i'd be able to run the exact same picture to two different displays but the fluidity and motion would be completely obvious between the two panels as well as the responsiveness. there's no interpolation. there's no post processing. all that shit is turned off and stays off. raw frames for me bro.

Untitleddd.png

i know chat gpt can get things wrong but as far as i can recall, this looks legit to me from what i recall seeing when i was seeing when i was shopping on the market reading reviews and user comment. except i do know for some reason the samsung Q7F and the 2017 model of the Q9F were using a 120hz panel, much like the samsung ks8000, but due to some kind of technical limitations on the chipset itself, you could not get any of those 3 tv's to accept a 120hz signal through hdmi over any type of device and even to this very day nobody has been able to come up with a workaround. so basically to get any kind of 120 fps content at all in its full glory, you'd be stuck using the built in youtube app and hunting down 120fps videos which were few and far between.

but the rest of that shit was pretty much all that there was to choose from back then that fit the bill for me. there might be a few other oddballs on the extremely high end side of the spectrum at the time, but unless you wanted to spend the cost of a brand new corvette on a tv instead, there was a tiny amount of 120hz panels on the market to choose from back in 2017.

high refresh tv's werent much of a thing in 2017. they werent designing tv's for pc gaming in mind, and that 120fps console gaming did not exist back then either. it wasnt until after the new xbox series consoles launched and hdmi 2.1 became a thing in tv's where this stuff became more common practice. in 2021 they were becoming more prevalent. in 2023 they were becoming the norm. at least the big 3 manufacturers are implementing 120hz panels in pretty much all of their displays mid range and up. i havent looked but i'm sure by now that even TCL has some 120hz panels out there, and those guys have always been more budget orientated, even though their tv's are known to be rather decent and capable of trading some blows with the big boys.

IMG_20240303_153411d554_HDdR.jpg

i mean here's rtings.com.....in 2017 here they are calling 120hz an unusual signal. fast forward a couple years, and its became more common in premium tv's now that hdmi 2.1 is a thing. those tv's simply didn't exist in 2017. and there was only a handful of tv's with 120hz panels. you had to know what you were looking for, or you'd have to spend a whole bunch of money on the best tv you could afford and simply just luck out.

since then sony has stuck with pretty much the same 120hz panel with their bravia 9x series displays all the way up the ladder but with some added tweaks to it. from the E models of the bravia 9 series, all the way down the alphabet 6 or 7 years down the road to the latest x90L models, it's been 120hz panels all the way down the line. the only thing that changed is the x90J launched a few years later and it came with hdmi 2.1 ports and you can now run a 4K 120hz signal to it. now this year we're into the L models of the bravia x9 series. it's all pretty much the same panels with more added support and features with a few minor tweaks here and there.

im telling you man this x930e was a hidden gem in it's time thats why i fucking bought the thing man. the dolby HDR support and all the rest of the bells and whistles were nice to have at the time but the main reason i bought it was for the 120hz refresh rate that was reported by virtually everybody to handle.

but just look at what rtings says about such an "unusual tv signal" way back in 2017. thats because high refresh rate tv's and 120hz tv panels like these were such a rare commodity at the time. i know they were because i was specifically in the market for one and i spent alot of time looking and alot of time researching and at the end of the day my only plausible options i had at the time were either an LG C7 or a sony bravia x930e or the slightly lower x900e model.

fast forward 7 years and pretty much every good tv even in the mid range department comes with a 120hz panel and can even support 4K, HDR, and VRR at such a refresh rate too. sites like rtings wouldnt be calling it such an unusual signal anymore. these days it would be considered unusual to spend thousands of dollars on a tv without it being able to support that kind of a signal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back