General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - March, 2018

More CW odds

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.34.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.34.27 AM.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 12
I get the rationale behind betting Reem here, but damn that was a LIFE ALTERING KO he was given vs Ngannou. Dudes toes were curled for like 5 minutes after that punch landed. I'm not sure I've ever seen a harder punch land flush in an MMA fight. If Blaydes lands literally ANYTHING (even a jab), anyone on Reem is gonna be holding their breath.

I get the rationale behind betting Reem here, but damn that was a LIFE ALTERING KO he was given vs Ngannou. Dudes toes were curled for like 5 minutes after that punch landed. I'm not sure I've ever seen a harder punch land flush in an MMA fight. If Blaydes lands literally ANYTHING (even a jab), anyone on Reem is gonna be holding their breath.
This was my first thought. Couldn't possibly bet a guy with 14 (?) KO losses between MMA & kickboxing. Blaydes mightn't have the most power or striking skills, but does he need too? the wind of a missed punch could be enough...

This was my first thought. Couldn't possibly bet a guy with 14 (?) KO losses between MMA & kickboxing. Blaydes mightn't have the most power or striking skills, but does he need too? the wind of a missed punch could be enough...
That shot took Overeem off his feet. Overeem has rarely gone down from jabs in his career, and I think he's gonna be a serious stylistic issue.

That shot took Overeem off his feet. Overeem has rarely gone down from jabs in his career, and I think he's gonna be a serious stylistic issue.

I think there's enough case study and science at this point to say without hesitation that being repeatedly brutally KO'd over a long career diminishes a guy's ability to take a punch. I'm not an expert by any means (or in medicine at all- @iGnP is in med school so maybe he can chime in if he's read up on any of this stuff) but my understanding is that when your lights go out it's essentially a defense mechanism from your brain in reaction to trauma. When it happens over and over, it takes less and less for your brain to revert to that defense mechanism. Look at the brutal KO losses Reem has over the years. Not just TKO's, but really skull rattling beatings that put him to sleep.

I'm not saying you're wrong about it being a stylistically tough fight for Blaydes. I'm not even saying Reem is a "bad" bet. But no way could I go big on him at this point. I don't trust his chin to hold up to even marginal damage these days.

I think there's enough case study and science at this point to say without hesitation that being repeatedly brutally KO'd over a long career diminishes a guy's ability to take a punch. I'm not an expert by any means (or in medicine at all- @iGnP is in med school so maybe he can chime in if he's read up on any of this stuff) but my understanding is that when your lights go out it's essentially a defense mechanism from your brain in reaction to trauma. When it happens over and over, it takes less and less for your brain to revert to that defense mechanism. Look at the brutal KO losses Reem has over the years. Not just TKO's, but really skull rattling beatings that put him to sleep.

I'm not saying you're wrong about it being a stylistically tough fight for Blaydes. I'm not even saying Reem is a "bad" bet. But no way could I go big on him at this point. I don't trust his chin to hold up to even marginal damage these days.
I think you'd have a hard time finding studies that definitely prove it but that seems to be the prevailing opinion on the matter. One major factor in it is if he sustained a concussion or not, and judging by the way his body tensed up, pretty sure he did

Tbh I was kind of hoping we'd get an Overeem-Ngannou line and that I'd be able to hammer Overeem at like +250. Bet's close to a no-play at this value, but I definitely want a Reem win for the sake of my Vokov HW Champ EOTY futures

Tbh I was kind of hoping we'd get an Overeem-Ngannou line and that I'd be able to hammer Overeem at like +250. Bet's close to a no-play at this value, but I definitely want a Reem win for the sake of my Vokov HW Champ EOTY futures

Man, I gotta think Volkov gets the next shot even if Blaydes takes care of Reem. Honestly, if for no other reason (this is gonna sound ridiculous I know) than that he has the Ivan Drago thing going on, and his last win was the ME of that card. (As opposed to Blaydes who is in a 3 rounder against a guy who was brutally KO'd in his last fight).

Cage Odds (FinnishMMA)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 9.04.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 9.04.04 AM.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 21
Cage Odds (FinnishMMA)
I expected better odds for Jones after his last defeat.
Walls should be a slight favorite, he is a better wrestler of two, but their first fight was close according to mmaviking report.
Damaev can probably wrestle Toivonen to decision, but he is on short notice.

I expected better odds for Jones after his last defeat.
Walls should be a slight favorite, he is a better wrestler of two, but their first fight was close according to mmaviking report.
Damaev can probably wrestle Toivonen to decision, but he is on short notice.

Grimshaw right side at dog odds.

CamSoda Legends weigh-ins, Charles Bennett off by a pound at 147 lbs:

I’m in on RDA for 3 units at -120 and will add if I can get better.

I see nothing to warrant a pick em fight. Yes Colby beat Maia, but it was a great stylistic matchup.

Off by 6lbs*. The guy said its contracted at 140
Lutchmedial weighed in at 146 himself, so either the announcer mis-spoke or I guess Bennett told them he was going to be heavy in advance and Lutchmedial stopped cutting with the bout turned into a catchweight contest.

Back