• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Gimme your best forgotten 90's one hit wonders !

I don't know how else to offer an objective definition.

If you want to be technical, which is fine, I agree you have to be specific.
Coming from Europe, there are a lot of one hit wonders that were big all over Europe that dont qualify and a lot of US hits I forgot or never heard of.

If you want to be technical, which is fine, I agree you have to be specific.
Coming from Europe, there are a lot of one hit wonders that were big all over Europe that dont qualify and a lot of US hits I forgot or never heard of.
Yeah, our charts used to be highly divergent; way moreso than today where digital platforms have made pretty much everything universally accessible. That's why I think a UK or Euro poll would be cool later on. But I'm not interested in running that since there's no nostalgia for me in hits I never heard.

There's going to be so many from this thread by the time the forum is done I'll have to run one of those poll tournaments with rounds where we narrow it down.

I think this one did not chart in the US but I really liked it back then, also the movie it is in: Trainspotting

I think this one did not chart in the US but I really liked it back then, also the movie it is in: Trainspotting

The whole Trainspotting album became a smash cult hit in the US whether or not any songs charted. Every person who watched that movie appreciated the perfection of this choice to accompany Mark Renton's closing monologue. It's incredible. I also think that movie was responsible for introducing much of my generation (of Americans) to Lou Reed. "Perfect Day" was also perfectly used.

Underworld is technically disqualified for having too many hits. Conversely, Orbital, who made the last of my three favorite songs from the movie, would be disqualified for never charting at all.

So this is a weird example. Because he technically counts, but not really, since his only hit that charted on the main Billboard 100 was "Loco"...but that's from 2004. I knew that song, it definitely got play, but at least around where I grew up, which was a place where country music was very popular, that song wasn't nearly as big as his song that didn't chart at all on the main Billboard, but reached higher on the Country genre chart, hitting #1 there. It was massive.

Technically doesn't count. Multiple hits.

Also technically doesn't count, but not because of multiple hits. Never charted on the main billboard despite that this fucking song played on MTV/VH1 hourly for half a year after its release.

*Edit*
I've been doing some more digging since MusicVF missed both Crystal Method and Temple of the Dog's hits, and apparently Static-X had a whopping 8 hits that charted (six in the Top 100).

https://www.billboard.com/artist/static-x/
However, only one was from the 90's, and none was this one, which was easily their biggest actual hit. The others weren't getting relentless airtime on MTV, for example. My confidence in my efforts to provide a reliable framework for the forum to weigh this is eroding.

Last edited:
And when I think of the above song I always remember this one. Doesn't count for the same reason.

One of my all-time favorite artists. He had more hits separately as a solo artist, but as a trio band, this was their only hit, and one of the best of the decade.

One of my favorite songs.

Filter had other main charting hits, but not Crystal Method, and they are really responsible for the song's sound.

*Edit*
NVM, this didn't seem right at all, to me, CM was so routinely tapped by Hollywood at the time, so I double checked Billboard's page for them. MusicVF is off for them, for some reason, doesn't have any of these half dozen hits listed.

https://www.billboard.com/artist/the-crystal-method/

Last edited:
there was a band from NYC called Versus during the 90s. it's been argued that they could have gained traction, challenging the Seattle grunge craze if only Nirvana never existed.

here are three songs that I like from them.

^In that grunge vein, this one doesn't technically count. Only charted on the Rock genre chart. Hard to believe.

Back