Glover wanted out?

OP: go sprint as hard as you can until you are on the verge of collapsing. Then sprint for an extra 30 seconds. Be in total oxygen deprivation mode. Then let a 220 lb man choke you as hard as he can. Let us know how it goes.

"wanted out". Common, don't be dumb.

Congrats, new dumbest statement on Sherdog. That fight was amazing and they both left it all out there. No one wanted “out”

If you are a champ and there is less than a minute left in the fight, and your opponent has you in a rear naked choke, wouldn’t you fight the hands or go out on your shield?

Congrats to Jiri!

So you believe that Glover knew how much time was on the clock and made a conscious decision to give up? Either you hate Glover or are clueless about what its like to be in a position like he was in.

I don't think he had a clue about how much time there was. Being exhausted and feeling the strangle was all that he could conceive in that moment.

I think if Glover had survived, Jiri would have won the fifth and the fight would have been a split draw. It was 2-2 on one scorecard, 3-1 Glover on another, 3-1 Glover on the third but with Jiri receiving a 10-8 round.
That's a big "If". Glover dominated most of round 5. If he survived that choke, he absolutely would have deserved the round.

Say what you want. This loss will haunt Glover.
It should. He gave Jiri the belt on a golden platter. That guillotine was about the worst fight IQ I can recall seeing from a champion that late into a relatively easy decision win (according to the official cards).

No way. Getting to a 5th with so few seconds left, I think he was just physically done.

That said, the whole fight looked like a sloppy - though entertaining - torrent of them two just looking like they're quitting all the time.

Ain’t no way you watched Glover go through hell and back last night and decided he wanted out. He got tired and Jiri found a way to finish. Glover is in his 40s. It’s amazing he even made it that far

So you believe that Glover knew how much time was on the clock and made a conscious decision to give up? Either you hate Glover or are clueless about what its like to be in a position like he was in.

I don't think he had a clue about how much time there was. Being exhausted and feeling the strangle was all that he could conceive in that moment.

The study of athlete performance is a vast subject.

Glover is 42 years old. When Glover couldn’t finish Jiri in the 5th, A part of me thinks that Glover unconsciously wanted out of the fight game, at least the high level of it.

He would’ve had to fight Jiri again or some other hungry lion, and getting submitted is a safe way to go out.

everyone shitting on OP, but he is kind of right. Why even tapping to a choke? just wait and see if you lose conciousness, it's not like an arm lock, there are no big consequences, there is 30 seconds before the fight ends, maybe Jiri would lose his strenght before Glover passed out. Glover showed good hearth most of the fight, but he guess his hearth had limits, should have pushed a little more.

Going in to last round after what I saw.. I would have been completely ok even if one of them decided to jump over the cage and run away screaming like a girl.I would never question Glovers heart /toughness

When it comes to chokes...and some joint submissions there are points of no return ...meaning once the submission has reached that point there is almost nothing you do outside of your opponent fucking up... gassing out...or slipping from sweat...

In a rear naked choke this is when the choke is under the chin with hands behind the head...barring the above conditions i mentioned once the choke his that point ..your tapping or napping

Add what just took place over 5 rounds theres no suprised he tapped...

I think the man was just physically and mentally drained at that point,,23-24 mins into a fight against a viking. Cardio is the first thing to go with age too. Its a stark and ugly reminder of father time and his 0 losses. Being that tired and fighting a choke is like drowning on dry land. IMHO i dont think he wanted to tap or was looking for a way out..i think he just had to given how battered he was. Hats off to be 42 and able to go 23-24 mins with the best in the world!
Cardio is not the first thing that goes. Reaction time, speed, durability go way before cardio.

I'm fact cardio and power are usually the last things to go.

Back