GNC: Beta Alanine's used to get blood pumping..

SpiralOfSilence

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I read up the FAQ and the great articles on Beta Alanine, and decide to get some.. It's listed as one of the must-have supplements for combat athletes..

So I ask the guy at the store what benefits I would receive by taking BA, and he tells me that "it's just used to get the blood flowing and gives you that great tingling feeling." Definitely not the reply I was expecting, considering all the things I've read on SD.

So I tell him that I already take Whey Protein, and would like something else for Muscle Recovery/Growth and he points towards Glutamine..

Tell me guys, was the guy wack, or is Beta Alanine really not as great as the stickies say it is..

It would help if you share why you use/don't use the supplement.

Thanks in advance.

"it's just used to get the blood flowing and gives you that great tingling feeling."

You didn't completely ignore everything after this?

Really? I'm taking a supplement called MAN Clout - it's a creatine supp, but it has quite a bit of BA in it. The directions say to take it directly before your workout. Why take it AFTER a workout? Aren't you missing out on getting that rush during your workout?

Or are the "tingles" just a side-effect that gives no real physiological advantage?

P.S.: I'm referring to weight-training, btw.

Are you serious? Is there really a product called "MAN Clout" and you bought it and put it in your mouth?

How much BA does it have?

49% of what GNC employees say should be ignored, 50% of what they say should be ridiculed, 1% is from Mr. Sinister and should be followed religiously.

1,600 mg per serving, taken twice a day. Is that a lot or little?

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/sherdog-exclusive-top-3-performance-supplements-david-barr-781962/

No, it's less than half the amount recommended in this article.

Just so you know, you're better off financially buying most supplements individually, for a number of reasons. In this case, because you can control how much you take at one time (if you took 4 times the does of your MAN Love supplement you'd also have to consider what else is in there), and you can more accurately know how it affects your body.

Really? I'm taking a supplement called MAN Clout - it's a creatine supp, but it has quite a bit of BA in it. The directions say to take it directly before your workout. Why take it AFTER a workout? Aren't you missing out on getting that rush during your workout?

Or are the "tingles" just a side-effect that gives no real physiological advantage?

P.S.: I'm referring to weight-training, btw.

BA is a neural inhibitor, which is what you don't want pre-workout. Pre-workout you should tkae stimulants such as caffeine to excite the nervous system and make it more efficient. Remember, BA is used to increase carnosine levels over time which will lead to reduced fatigue. That's why most people are taking 2-3g post workout and before bed.

49% of what GNC employees say should be ignored, 50% of what they say should be ridiculed, 1% is from Mr. Sinister and should be followed religiously.

Yep. Most GNC employees are just guys looking to collect a paycheck and not really into the field.

Here is your thread to information on Beta-Alanine. It is a long fuggin read, but it will help you. It is filled with experiences AND science. The best of both worlds.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/b...832/?highlight=beta+alanine+the+next+creatine

I have been using it for a year, and I have felt better benefits by taking large amounts of it 30-45 minutes before lifting- because it usually inhibits the neurological response to lactic acid buildup so I don't feel that "burn" when I'm finishing out a set or trying to do extra reps of something.

Although because of the science I've read, I usually take some PWO also. I do roughly 2.5 - 4.0 grams preWO, and between 3 and 2 grams PWO, respectively.

I love the stuff,
-Chris

I work at GNC (granted only 4 hours a week) but I know what I'm talking about. Read some of my posts. Blanket statements about anyone are 50% wrong 100% of the time :icon_conf

Although this one in question is clearly an idiot. BA is going to be the next big thing right up there with creatine. The only thing that might hold it back is the weird flushing sensation.

I work at GNC (granted only 4 hours a week) but I know what I'm talking about. Read some of my posts. Blanket statements about anyone are 50% wrong 100% of the time :icon_conf

Although this one in question is clearly an idiot. BA is going to be the next big thing right up there with creatine. The only thing that might hold it back is the weird flushing sensation.

Hey now, you only have a handful of posts that I've seen. Mr. Sinister is kind of a legend.

Hey now, you only have a handful of posts that I've seen. Mr. Sinister is kind of a legend.

I never said he was an idiot just saying that neither are ALL GNC employees. However you could make an argument that a lot are.

Okay guys, this may come as a shock to you guys... I lied!

I didn't go to GNC, I went to Popeye's Supplements! I just thought the title would be too long, so I put down GNC instead!

:p

Also known as "paresthesia".

:icon_chee,
-Chris

I take BA and i get the pins and needles pretty bad...i'm getting used to it but damn, check it out:
"Paresthesia of the mouth, hands, and feet are common, transient symptoms of the related conditions of hyperventilation syndrome and panic attacks. It may also occur when pressure is put on a nerve. In the case of the latter, removing the pressure will gradually relieve the "pins and needles" feeling. Pressure placed on a limb can also squeeze arteries, preventing them from carrying nutrients"

that doesn't sound like a good thing...

I take BA and i get the pins and needles pretty bad...i'm getting used to it but damn, check it out:
"Paresthesia of the mouth, hands, and feet are common, transient symptoms of the related conditions of hyperventilation syndrome and panic attacks. It may also occur when pressure is put on a nerve. In the case of the latter, removing the pressure will gradually relieve the "pins and needles" feeling. Pressure placed on a limb can also squeeze arteries, preventing them from carrying nutrients"

that doesn't sound like a good thing...

Yea, its called your leg falling asleep..........

BA seems overrated still, without any CLEAR benefits.
Somebody humor me and list the top 3 benefits of taking BA in bullet format.

Thanks...

BA seems overrated still, without any CLEAR benefits.
Somebody humor me and list the top 3 benefits of taking BA in bullet format.

Thanks...

From an article that's stickied, I'll give you 4 benefits

Summary of Effects

In summary, the following effects are noted due to Beta Alanine supplementation:

* faster muscle contraction
* resistance to anaerobic fatigue
* increased stimulus for strength/muscle recovery
* enhanced neural protection and recovery

I was going to reply to this but read a few posts

I'm just going to walk away

Back