GOAT Console

What is the GOAT Console

• Total voters
some thoughts -

super nintendo: set the golden standard of quality with classics like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, etc. some of the best 2D games ever

playstation 2: had an absurd library of games across all genres and ushered in the era of GTA

original xbox: underdog new kid on the block that was in way the Dreamcast 2.0. offered experiences that were unprecedented on consoles at the time (online gaming, lan gaming with consoles, modding, etc). Has cool features like built in custom soundtracks and started the trend of internal storage with a built in hard drive.

gamecube: IMO, nintendo's last great dedicated gaming console. pushed the envelope and defied expectations with games like Sunshine, Windwaker, Pikmin, and Luigis Mansion. the lasting importance of Super Smash Bros Melee in the competitive fighting scene alone should cement the legacy of this console. in retrospect, a lot of aesthetic things about the console, like it's compact design and mellow menu music/graphics have held up well and it still feels great to experience these games. the controller was also very ergonomic and comfortable. lots of great exclusive games that have still never been re-released.

xbox 360: in a sense, it was the PS2 of it's generation. a huge library of good games that were mostly well optimized for the console (in general I've heard 3rd party/cross platform titles preform better on 360 due to the more programmer friendly system architecture). started the trend of downloading games directly from a built in online store (xbox live arcade) which kickstarted the indie craze with titles like Castle Crashers, Braid, and Limbo. not to discount the PS3 at all, it really came down to which brand appealed to you more and which exclusives you liked. Even though I have a ps4 I'm still looking to get a ps3 since I have a bunch of games for it and they aren't backwards compatible.

I think we still need to wait and see where the PS4, XB One and Switch ultimately end up. For what it's worth, I own all of them + everything I talked about above in addition to a Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii, Gameboy Advance SP, and a 3DS

Last edited:
original xbox: underdog new kid on the block that was in way the Dreamcast 2.0. offered experiences that were unprecedented on consoles at the time (online gaming, lan gaming with consoles, modding

actually, ps2s already had LAN via firewire (ps1s might have also had this, but i don't recall. i never linked up any ps1s, at least). and they had a network adapter. modding was done on ps1 and ps2s.

but yeah, the xbox was better for online play, regardless.

Last edited:
Had the most fun ever with the old SNES.
So many great memories. Still go back and play it on my raspberry pi when I go out of town.

Can’t beleive the master system wasn’t on the list.

It's Xbox 360 for me.

I had so many awesome experiences on the system. It's also the console that made me fall back in love with gaming after being engrossed in other extra curricular activities during my early twenties.

I specifically addressed that in the OP!
Okay.png

PS2 had a bigger library of quality games and they've aged much better. Most 3d games from the Sat/PS1/NG4 gen haven't aged well at all.

PS2 or PS3 for me. Too many great memories and great games.

Really tough call but I have to say PS3.

Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
GTA 4 & 5
The Last of Us

That's a stellar fucking line up.

I'd probably say N64 after that.

PS2 had the best library. PS1 is a close second with some of my all time favorites such as FF7, MGS, Xenogears, ect, but I think the PS2 edged it out. MGS2, MGS3, KH1, KH2, Xenosaga, DMC1, DMC3 and many many others.

I owned a Nintendo, super Nintendo, Sega, dreamcast, N64, PS2, and Xbox 360.

I enjoyed the PS2 And 360 the most but have the best memories with the 64

I loved the PS3, so I think it definitely won that generation.
I also love the PS4 pro though, which definitely has better exclusives than Xbox One X. But not every game is 4k and doesn't play UHD blu rays..... I think Xbox One X slightly edges it

Think I’m gonna go PS3. Removing all nostalgia, I’m realizing that my top 5-10 games are being slowly replaced with each generation.

SNES easily. Games and graphics still hold up today. Try going back and playing 3-D games on the PS1 or Saturn and get ready for a headache.

I can't take the SNES seriously when it couldn't even produce a good Double Dragon game. Super Double Dragon was pure shit. The ones on Gameboy were better. Not cool.

PS2

GTA III
Vice City
San Andreas
God of War 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Okami
Devil May Cry
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Beyond Good and Evil
Dragon Quest VIII
Prince of Persia
Kingdom Hearts
Soul Calibur
Socom

You've got the best open world games, the greatest platformers and just a boatload of great games.

I voted N64 purely because even after a nuclear war it would most likely still be in working condition.

Back