Going to ITALY (ppl who been to Italy GTFIH)

Rome is great. Paninis and ice-cream were very delicious. The history is great, too. I remember tagging along with some historical guide that was dropping so much knowledge of history, if you can join a tour guide, it might be really fun. Rather than just looking at the buildings, you can understand more about the historical significance of them.

Reactions: HHJ
Yeah I had like 4 flights cancelled when covid hit

Got lucky, I was going down to Patagonia in March 2020 but couldn't get a dog sitter so ended up going in Feb instead.

Rome is amazing, Venice over-rated, filthy, smells bad and stupidly crowded and expensive.

I liked Venice more. Wasn't crowded when I was there and it has nice parks and is more special. Rome was much more crowded and more the same like every big city, but that was in summer so not an honest comparison. Was also way too hot in August. April should be much better.

Ooooooooooooh
fingers-together-hand-gesture-260nw-766195051.jpg
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Rome is amazing, Venice over-rated, filthy, smells bad and stupidly crowded and expensive.
100% agree.

Food and women were not nearly as amazing as other people made it out before I went. The attractions in Rome are even better than I thought they would be. Best part of my trip there was a night in the country at a little vineyard drinking with both tourists and locals.

So my plan was to go for a week and see Rome and Venice? What ya got for me? What should I do besides the obvious.

u should rent a car and make a trip to the coast

was gonna go in 2020 but got cancelled thanks to china and that nazi fauci.

plan was to fly into naples (check pompei) then make way to amalfi coast and then end in rome.

rick steves has multiple shows on italy. u should check ricky s

I would highly advise making a stop in Florence. It was magnificent and a far better experience than Venice, for example. Rome is spectacular and the Vatican City is a must... the coliseum is far smaller than it appears in media and not as great of an attraction as some think.

I spend a few weeks there when I was younger, my mom was dating an Italian electrician who she met at my friends Bar Mitzvah (he was part of the orchestra and an excellent trumpet player). Got to stay in his sister's apartment on the 20th floor of a building with a balcony overlooking the city... I'll never forget shadowboxing at 2am watching the lazy late-night traffic of downtown Rome and the wonderful view of the city. They were different times - either way I hope you enjoy the trip!

yea man one of my buddies was italian
it was best getting up his kitchen for 2 for 10 deal when we had the munchies
plus we always knew his mom was cooking because we could check on her cooking status online
Lol I was just making a joke about dominos lack of authenticity.

Any places worth going outside of Rome that I can easily get back to Rome from?

I dont wanna move out of rome TOO much if im only spending a week,but just seein whats out there.

Went to Italy on my honeymoon.

Rome was cool- good restaurants.

Definitely hit up Amalfi coast if you get the chance. If i remember correctly it's like a 2 hr drive. We rented a vehicle- roads are crazy narrow ...but beautiful beaches would go there again if I had the opportunity

***edit***

I may have understated the roads a bit lol. They were pretty narrow and hanging off cliffs. You should be good if u drive slow.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...malfi_Coast_Province_of_Salerno_Campania.html

Last edited:
Definitely hit up Amalfi coast if you get the chance. If i remember correctly it's like a 2 hr drive. We rented a vehicle- roads are crazy narrow ...but beautiful beaches would go there again if I had the opportunity

To be honest if I just had a week Naples would be my recommendation, lose less time to traveling around and theirs a lot of difference things to see, history wise there's Pompeii and Herculaneum plus the Archology museum thats as good as any in the world for Roman artifacts but much less crowded than Rome. Moreso though I think the Amalfi Coast probably fits in closer to peoples ideal italy than anywhere else, the geography has really limited the scale of development and ensured its not spoiled plus you have Capri a short boat ride away as well, easily enough for a week.

Time wise as well April is pretty much perfect there, it will likely to pleasantly warm but not too crowded.

I liked the people in Italy. Venice was probably my least favourite part of our trip though.

Day trip to Pisa.

Take a pic where false perspective looks like you are pushing over the tower.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed by the pizza.

Day trip to Pisa.

Take a pic where false perspective looks like you are pushing over the tower.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed by the pizza.

I thought the pizzas were usually good.

The pastas were a huge disappointment for me.

Idk - it's all perspective.

I went in with zero expectations came out pleasantly surprised.

Pizza was good in my book.

Cheese platters were killer.

I think I was thrown back how they serve food. 1st meal, 2nd meal, 3rd meal? A bit different than the 'Merican way but was good

I thought the pizzas were usually good.

The pastas were a huge disappointment for me.

Not saying they were bad, but always heard "you never had pizza until you've had it in Italy". Was decent but nothing special.

Overall food was disappointing. Went to a few high end, expensive places, which were excellent, but your average place on the street was average at best.

Italy is known for it's tasty cuisine and there's no better way to experience that than heading to the first Olive Garden you see.

Eh you might be underwhelmed. The pizza is sort of hit or miss. There might be garbage everywhere and some old dudes might cat call your underaged daughter.

Back