Good Instruction no sparring??

So Ive been training at this muay thai school for a year and I have never got to spar. Ive been to beginners class and all levels and never have i seen anyone spar. They have advanced classes and sparring on Sat schedule for advanced students.....is this normal??? Class sizes are huge too....last night there were 40 plus students for one instructor. He is top notch and is best in area but I feel like I might not be getting the attention or training im paying for.
You are not getting the training you deserve. You should be sparring far more often. I expect to spar every time i go to the gym, even if its only light technical sparring. My first school ever sounded just like you described. The owner of the school had quite the resume, but i didn't see him one damn time in the 2-4 months i was there. Just cause you can fight doesn't mean you should teach.

He doesnt know my name even..lol
Get out. Don't waste your time. That asshole locked you in a contract and then neglected you. He took advantage of your eagerness to learn and took your money without giving you the proper service you payed for.

There is no better teacher than experience. You have to spar to be learn.

Yeah the only reason im kinda staying around he has a good background on paper. The class times are best too. But yeah for 150 a month i feel im getting ripped...lol

It's pretty normal with a gym like that.
I don't think your gym owner / head coach is a douche, but it's the only way to make decent money off of having a fight gym, if you dont have superstar fighters.
There are a small circle of guys who are the "fight team". They get the attention and everybody knows who they are, sort of the rockstars of the gym. They go to competitions and have proven their dedication to the sport.
Then there are the guys like you. And sad to say, but you're the sucker in this scenario, the average guy paying money so the gym can run around. And with classes of 40 people, he can't possibly teach every single one of you properly, unless he has several assistant instructors. It's obviously less than ideal for you, but he can't keep his gym running by only having 10 members. And there are too many casuals / hobbyists who isn't good enough to fight, will quit soon anyways or just want to exercise. So they are the ones paying to essentially keep the gym running.

EDIT: I realized that you can make money off having a gym, but it takes way more effort and requires more time on the coach's / coach's experienced students to help with the new people coming in.
This is not to say that it's a good gym or that I condone it. It's not a good environemnt to learn in, but I'm just trying to say from a business stand point why your coach is doing the things he is doing.

Last edited:
Back