GOP bill to end student loan forgiveness for public service

not too concerned

I work for the Federal Government, yet don't know a single person that has ever utilized this

It's not exactly handed out very easily

Furthermore, the majority of Federal workers hired under Obama were Veterans, and most branches offer a Student Loan Repayment Option in addition to the GI Bill. It's why I specifically joined the Army when I did......

Last edited:
I'm OK with this, if people contribute something to pay off their debt, why not? I think they should do the same thing for welfare. After a few months, if you don't have work, you do some public service.

???

Re-read the story. It's the opposite of what you're saying, but I'm sure you'll be OK with it when you find out (given whose idea it is).

I personally believe teachers are fairly compensated, especially when you consider all the benefits that come with the job- retirement, more paid vacation than almost anyone else in the world, health insurance etc.

No bigger fake martyrs in the world than teachers.

@Seano confirmed partisan hack.

Thinks the bill is rewarding public service workers fairly when he thinks GOP is behind it

Realizes GOP is overthrowing it and jumps to the side of bashing public service workers

People like you are the reason politics will never get fixed so long as they have their blind votes no matter what

@HockeyBjj, this is Sherdog, don't you know that teachers make way too much? While they sit in their ivory towers eating their caviar and brie, the fine upstanding people of this karate forum are dedicated to ending the tyranny of public school educators. Why would we pay for their student loans while they galavant around the world on their yachts?

<Durant35>
If I worked eight months a year I’d make less

Teachers today are just people who failed at their chosen field. Thats why we have such poor teachers, because they don't really want to be there in the first place. They play the victim as soon as they get the job.

I would actually say that more teachers grew up always wanting to be a teacher than almost any other profession outside of doctors. It is one of the few jobs where many people truly have a passion for it.

I usually find that people who shit on teachers:

1. Live in shitty school districts
2. Resent making less than teachers
3. Always hated school or were not good students, and still harbor resentment.

I can only judge based on my own experiences, and I grew up in MD, in one of the best school districts in the country. People do not shit on teachers around here, unless they are from uneducated families who do not value education.

I saw kids stretching 4 years into 6, charging rent into their loans, refusing to work because they were going to college.

Now they’re pissed because they have a 100k in loans for a 35,000.00 a year job. Explain why they need a bailout?

It's not a bailout. It's reimbursement for socially valuable work.

I accrued about $90,000 in debt, and some of my classmates accrued as much as $200,000. Yet many of them went on to become public defenders because they value the importance of the public service and could reconcile the decision financially by way of loan forgiveness, since they were passing up $150,000/yr private sector jobs for $45,000/yr public sector jobs.

If you end loan forgiveness, high quality students/professionals are going to be completely removed from public service positions that help those who need it most.

not too concerned

I work for the Federal Government, yet don't know a single person that has ever utilized this

It's not exactly handed out very easily

Furthermore, the majority of Federal workers hired under Obama were Veterans, and most branches offer a Student Loan Repayment Option in addition to the GI Bill. It's why I specifically joined the Army when I did......

That's actually extremely incorrect. I work in the private sector, but fellow graduates from my law school were getting public interest jobs to qualify for this repayment plan. The definition of public employee is actually pretty loose.

I would actually say that more teachers grew up always wanting to be a teacher than almost any other profession outside of doctors.

That would be interesting research. I'd rank firefighters, professional athletes and astronauts high on the list as well. But, yeah, teaching is rarely (never) a fall back position for anyone.

It's not a bailout. It's reimbursement for socially valuable work.

I accrued about $90,000 in debt, and some of my classmates accrued as much as $200,000. Yet many of them went on to become public defenders because they value the importance of the public service and could reconcile the decision financially by way of loan forgiveness, since they were passing up $150,000/yr private sector jobs for $45,000/yr public sector jobs.

If you end loan forgiveness, high quality students/professionals are going to be completely removed from public service positions that help those who need it most.

I was going to post this.

You've basically forcing people who go to a Tier 1 law school to work for a firm out of school rather than any sort of public service. The idea behind the plan was not just give students a handout, but incentivize hard working, smart people to pursue public jobs to make our public services function better.

That's actually extremely incorrect. I work in the private sector, but fellow graduates from my law school were getting public interest jobs to qualify for this repayment plan. The definition of public employee is actually pretty loose.
do you have any idea how many people are employed in that sector, consecutively, for ten years while paying loans w/o taking forebearance or deferment?

tell me more, please

if you do that, then yes it's quite easy....

I was going to post this.

You've basically forcing people who go to a Tier 1 law school to work for a firm out of school rather than any sort of public service. The idea behind the plan was not just give students a handout, but incentivize hard working, smart people to pursue public jobs to make our public services function better.

And people don't realize that like 95% of Big Law work is to the pretty blatant detriment of the every day person. I worked it. You're defending giant corporations against class actions for shitty products and polluting rivers, defending employers who exploited their employees, assisting giant corporations in avoiding as much tax payment as possible, and allowing for conglomerates to merge to the detriment of market competitiveness.

And that goes for other disciplines like finance too: if loan forgiveness is abolished, all of those students are going to shift to helping the powerful oppress the powerless.

do you have any idea how many people are employed in that sector, consecutively, for ten years while paying loans w/o taking forebearance or deferment?

I personally know at least 15-20 people on it. And not just lawyers who go do charity work or work in public defense. I have a friend who turned down lucrative planning positions to do zoning work for a small village and she's dependent on having those loans forgiven, and that's why she accepted a lower paying position.

And I have plenty of friends who are schoolteachers and are depending on it.

I have absolutely no idea about the total number of persons, though.

I would actually say that more teachers grew up always wanting to be a teacher than almost any other profession outside of doctors. It is one of the few jobs where many people truly have a passion for it.

I usually find that people who shit on teachers:

1. Live in shitty school districts
2. Resent making less than teachers
3. Always hated school or were not good students, and still harbor resentment.

I can only judge based on my own experiences, and I grew up in MD, in one of the best school districts in the country. People do not shit on teachers around here, unless they are from uneducated families who do not value education.
I'm not shitting on them. I just think they make a fine wage, especially when combined with all the benefits involved in the job.

Teachers aren't victims, they just like to pretend they are on social media.

I personally know at least 15-20 people on it. And not just lawyers who go do charity work or work in public defense. I have a friend who turned down lucrative planning positions to do zoning work for a small village and she's dependent on having those loans forgiven, and that's why she accepted a lower paying position.

And I have plenty of friends who are schoolteachers and are depending on it.

I have absolutely no idea about the total number of persons, though.

I’m opposed to this plan as well. Anyone working public sector should have some assistance paying off loans if they work full
Time. That’s just good policy

tell me more, please

Not really a relevant question since the plan went into effect in 2012. Obviously the people it was aimed toward attracting into public service jobs haven't had the time to demonstrate whether it would be utilized or not.

As of Q2 2016 the number of certifications given out totaled 431,853. So some people trying to utilize it.

ednext-blog-sept16-evidencespeaks-delisle-graduate-chart01-small.png

And if it has no impact, what would the point of taking away the exemption be? A symbolic victory of the GOP repealing one of Obama's plans?

I'm not shitting on them. I just think they make a fine wage, especially when combined with all the benefits involved in the job.

Teachers aren't victims, they just like to pretend they are on social media.

I actually agree for the most part, but I think that it depends on the area in which they teach.

The salaries for teachers vary so much around the country that some teachers are actually closer to being overoverpaid, while others are criminally underpaid. Meanwhile, my neighbor teaches kindergarten in Maryland and makes close to six figures.

I have a friend who is a teacher in South Carolina and they are seriously underpaid there, and it is reflected in the quality of their education system.

Not really a relevant question since the plan went into effect in 2012. Obviously the people it was aimed toward attracting into public service jobs haven't had the time to demonstrate whether it would be utilized or not.

As of Q2 2016 the number of certifications given out totaled 431,853. So some people trying to utilize it.

ednext-blog-sept16-evidencespeaks-delisle-graduate-chart01-small.png

And if it has no impact, what would the point of taking away the exemption be? A symbolic victory of the GOP repealing one of Obama's plans?
Yes, to your last pt, that's exactly what it was IMO

Trust me, i've tried to used this, but as I had a military service exemption and wasn't paying then those years didn't count towards repayment. So i still have years to go, although i only owe like 5k now

Back