Gordon Ryan vs Vinny Maglhaes

gordon should stop fucking around and jump straight up to mma.

Dude is a beast, has the heart and the mentality to be a beast in there.

I love cjj, but gordon is wasting his time, he should be getting regional fights at least by now.

I love cjj, but gordon is wasting his time, he should be getting regional fights at least by now.

I agree completely with this. Seems like he'd have some serious power in his hands, and be able to just lean on opponents and drag them to the ground. He reminds me of a younger, more skilled version of that old Russian dude who no-gi Ezekiel chokes everybody

I agree completely with this. Seems like he'd have some serious power in his hands, and be able to just lean on opponents and drag them to the ground. He reminds me of a younger, more skilled version of that old Russian dude who no-gi Ezekiel chokes everybody

one thing I didnt think of... money.

gordon gets good money every ebi, mid tier UFC fighters dont make the kind of money gordon makes lol... and he can compete all the time. CJJ is probably going to pay him well too.

Now that I think, gordon knows this, and it probably is all in or all out for him once he makes the jump to mma.

Last edited:
one thing I didnt think of... money.

gordon gets good money every ebi, mid tier UFC fighters dont make the kind of money gordon makes lol... and he can compete all the time. CJJ is probably going to pay him well too.

Now that I think, gordon knows this, and it probably is all in or all out for him once he makes the jump to mma.

Fwiw, in that recent interview on the dirty white belt podcast Gordon said that his immediate goals were to win worlds in the gi, then win a championship in MMA after that (winning gold at ADCC being his first goal).

Fwiw, in that recent interview on the dirty white belt podcast Gordon said that his immediate goals were to win worlds in the gi, then win a championship in MMA after that (winning gold at ADCC being his first goal).

that gi thing is something I dont see it happening any time soon though.

that gi thing is something I dont see it happening any time soon though.

His recent displays of pressure passing gives him a better chance than I once would have thought; seems like it would translate very well to the gi. The guy I think would really do well though is Eddie Cummings. His defensive guard is so strong and he's so opportunistic with his sub attempts that it seems like he'd be able to rack up advantages at will if he cared enough to commit to the gi.

His recent displays of pressure passing gives him a better chance than I once would have thought; seems like it would translate very well to the gi. The guy I think would really do well though is Eddie Cummings. His defensive guard is so strong and he's so opportunistic with his sub attempts that it seems like he'd be able to rack up advantages at will if he cared enough to commit to the gi.

I’ve noticed that dds boys lately have been moving away some from the leglock meta game, finishing their opponents with a variatity of different subs, their passing got really good, specially Gordon’s, but I have my doubts, I don’t see him passing Leandro’s guard without the threat of hh...

I got Gordon in this. The old guard of leg lock guys like Lister and Pezao haven't looked the same in years. Like they just kind of show up to ADCC and rest on their natural ability without the added prep.

I’ve noticed that dds boys lately have been moving away some from the leglock meta game, finishing their opponents with a variatity of different subs, their passing got really good, specially Gordon’s, but I have my doubts, I don’t see him passing Leandro’s guard without the threat of hh...

Hope it starts a trend, the leglock only game gets boring for fans to watch. Not that it's not efficient or dirty... It's just that 2 guys only going for 50/50 and leg locks matches after matches gets boring fast.

I like to see guard passes and sweeps, 50/50 is more of a ''wait for it'' game where there's always a sub nearby. It's cool but I like variety.

If the top guys can show that you don't just specialize but you can take whatever is given to you, it's just gonna up the game of everyone.

Hope it starts a trend, the leglock only game gets boring for fans to watch. Not that it's not efficient or dirty... It's just that 2 guys only going for 50/50 and leg locks matches after matches gets boring fast.

I like to see guard passes and sweeps, 50/50 is more of a ''wait for it'' game where there's always a sub nearby. It's cool but I like variety.

If the top guys can show that you don't just specialize but you can take whatever is given to you, it's just gonna up the game of everyone.

50/50?

Gordon mostly uses the 411

The problem is that unless we are talking about the elite of the elite, in rules that allow hh, passing guard is just not efficient. Let’s say I legdrag someone, for me transitioning to 4-11 is quite easy, and will be much easier to finish the match from there than having to pass guard an then move to other position looking for a sub. The elite is elite at defending all positions, so getting to 4-11 isn’t a guarantee finish, but at lower levels, it’s almost always a done deal.

The problem is that unless we are talking about the elite of the elite, in rules that allow hh, passing guard is just not efficient. Let’s say I legdrag someone, for me transitioning to 4-11 is quite easy, and will be much easier to finish the match from there than having to pass guard an then move to other position looking for a sub. The elite is elite at defending all positions, so getting to 4-11 isn’t a guarantee finish, but at lower levels, it’s almost always a done deal.

It's not a bad thing, it's just good to see them mixing it up a bit, it gives us a better show.

It's not a bad thing, it's just good to see them mixing it up a bit, it gives us a better show.

I agree bro, just that it isnt really going to happen under rules that allow hh, not during a long time where people get extremely good at defending hh, then the trend will switch back to clasical positional bjj. It will take a long ass time, and at lower level (still good level overall), it will probably be like this for even longer.

I heard is makes around $200k a year doing what he does. No way he makes that a year in MMA

I heard is makes around $200k a year doing what he does. No way he makes that a year in MMA

True that, I'm pretty sure he's gonna have to pay from is pocket for training for the first two years.

Is last EBI performance was more than fun to watch, would hate to see him get owned in MMA, those guys are good at striking and at stuffing takedowns.

That can’t be right... hes got to win like 10 ebi all subs to make that kind of money...

Back