Got Into A Huge Fight In BJJ Class - Was I Wrong? **Updated

By any chance, Did you yell "WHOO! If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen!"? Post-powerbomb

whoooah not cool! Powerbomb? You can break someones back...a punch may hurt a little but it isn't lethal like a powerbomb....

Basically, you dicked out. So yes, you were wrong. He was rolling hard (up from light) which was probably a result of your hard elbow to the throat. Then you slam him on his neck to get out of an arm bar. I'd have kicked you in the nuts after that alone.

Then you power bomb him. You need some anger management dude.

And I hear you about him throwing some attitude your way. So what? You going to power bomb everyone that throws attitude your way?

Self control dude. Learn it.

Interestingly enough, you managed to skip over the one part that I found to be the bigger giveaway as to the problem...

I have no problem with putting an arm over the neck of someones I am grappling with... but I do it because it is effective and I am making an effort to grapple to the best of my abilities most of the time... not to show someone how much of a tough guy I am. There are many things you can do that are not offensive if you have the right attitude backing it up that you would otherwise be unable to do if said attitude was not present. Think of how many nasty names you call your friends while you're joking around, and then ask yourself if you would feel the same way if someone called your friends those same names with malicious intent.
Thanks for the responce.
I skipped over that on purpose. I was wondering about the technique, not the childish attitude.

I can't figure out if this is a troll job or not. On one hand it's so outrageous that I was waiting to get to the end of the post and he had slit the guy's throat or something, but on the other hand though it reeks of ignorance.

powerbombing him wasnt called for...u should have just stopped and asked him if he wanted to kick the pace up a bit

Um... Yeah. From what you said there he didn't do anything wrong until he finally retaliated for all the asshole shit you were doing.

I agree 100% with what you guys are saying. And no, I don't have an ego issue, im the nicest person you will ever meet. I greet people everytime I come into class with a hello. It was just this attitude which got me so rattled up. And I also agree that there should have been some type of communication.

maybe you should say specifically what he did. Because you definately come off as the bad guy when you just say "he wasn't going light so I shot him in the face." I mean, if by "not going light" you mean he knifed you in the gut it makes sense but you really need to say that specifically because that's not the first thing that pops into my head when you say "he wasn't going light"

If this is real than it is beyond me how you even got to blue belt with that attitude.

u r lucky that the guy probably dsnt know how to punch!
u r dick

to answer your question. yes you were wrong. very wrong. that post reeks of ego.

1. I then grabbed his belt with my free arm, stood up, and drove his neck down pretty hard onto the mat.

2. I basically speared him (we were starting on the ground...on our knees). As I speared him, I drove my shoulder into his face and flattened him out.

3. I lifted him up and I basically power-bombed him on the mat, I could see his head ricochet off the mat....

Effing douche.

I have done karate in the past for 7 years, I wrestled all through out high school, and I even played football....and never in my life would I even think about punching somebody to the face. That is something you don't fucking do.

But you do spear, slam and power bomb your BJJ training partners. You're the one that escalated the situation by going to none BJJ means to be aggressive.

The situation got so escalated that I'm thinking about giving up jujitsu. I love it, but I really don't want to go back.

Good, you should quit. If this is how you respond to hard rolling, by basically starting a fight, then BJJ is better off without you.

To sum up, get lost you twat.

After class is over, we typically roll, as im sure most people do in a BJJ class. A guy I don't see very much came over to me and asked if I wanted to "roll lightly". I said sure (By the way, the guy had about 8 months of experience over me as a blue belt). We started going at a slow pace and he began to get more and more aggressive for whatever reason. I think there are two things I did which annoyed him quite a bit.

First, I was in his guard, beginning to pass. I placed my knee in his inner thigh and as I was doing so, I placed my forearm across his throat and pressed down very hard. I could see his face turn red. (I only did this to send out a message to let him know, if he wants to continue at this pace, I will match it and then some.) As I was about to pass he sweeped the leg I had under my knee and caught me in a triangle.

Second, we started again. I could tell he began to get even rougher and more aggressive, and I didn't have a problem doing the same. I ended up in his guard again, and this time I was passing in different manner when he caught me in an armbar. I then grabbed his belt with my free arm, stood up, and drove his neck down pretty hard onto the mat. I could hear him grunt....he let go of the armbar, I passed extremly fast into his side mount pulled off a kimora.

We began again for the third time, this time he didn't clap my hand (something that is done prior to rolling, which shows that you are ready to roll, and also shows respect). That is when I had enough of his attitude. I turned up the pace and I basically speared him (we were starting on the ground...on our knees). As I speared him, I drove my shoulder into his face and flattened him out. He began to crawl backwords off the mat, while I was in his guard. I wasn't having any of it. I lifted him up and I basically power-bombed him on the mat, I could see his head ricochet off the mat....I obviously landed in his guard and he started punching me with both hands on my temple. I almost burst out laughing at the strength of his punches. (The instructor walked back in right before the powerbomb.)
I got up and I said "What are you doing" He said "That was the third fucking time. The first two times I let it go, but no the third" Then I replied, "Don't set a pace you can't handle, and your the one who's throwing punches. Trust me you don't wanna play this game with me, it will take me 10 seconds to put you to sleep." Our instructor then called me into his office and pretty much blamed me for the entire situation)

You know what pisses me off the most? I have done karate in the past for 7 years, I wrestled all through out high school, and I even played football....and never in my life would I even think about punching somebody to the face. That is something you don't fucking do.

The situation got so escalated that I'm thinking about giving up jujitsu. I love it, but I really don't want to go back.

-I posted this in a different section earlier, I think it belongs here. Thanks

i think you were being a little sensitive. i get elbowed and slammed a lot but i don't cry. its just part of the territory.

bjj can be a rough sport but you took it personally when he was just trying to be intense and roll with some heart.

im glad you don't go to my gym we would probably end up fighting because you take things a little too personally.

guys like you don't last long. i bet your gonna end up quitting.

It makes me incredibly sad that another member of the grappling community, and the human race, is actually so dishonest with himself that he can relate the facts as stated above and believe he was the victim. I'm absolutely stunned.

This was brought up as well, but I must reiterate- Where the F&#^ was the instructor? What kind of immoral creature lets that occur on their mat?

Your a blue? Man I never heard of a blue slamming armbars. How long have you been a blue?

I don't know you, or the kid you were rolling with so i won't say you're a dick. But i do think you acted like a dick. He's not completely innocent either but you don't pick someone up and slam them...

lol, 10 pages of own. reckon this assclown will ever come back?

i personally hate those fucking rambo type never say die assholes who won't tap out when they're obviously in a position they should or try to slam you from triangles or armbars. ive had guys in deep guillotines, triangles, armbars before refusing to tap and trying to muscle out of it, its just plain retarded, and shows a huge ego problem. these guys are never using technique, always pure strength.

fucking idiots, its a training session, not a competition, you're there to learn. if you get tapped out, go back and see where you went wrong and remember to cange it up next time, thats how you improve. using your strength to slam a guy just to save face is the kind of bullshit a blue belt should be way past.

Back