Governor Cuomo issuing pardons to all parolees to restore voting rights

Seeing as your so big on giving felon's their constitutional rights back should convicted felons also be allowed to bear arms? After all it is an American right. If some wack job conservative did this you would be losing your shit.
I wouldn't support giving the right to vote back to a person convicted of voter fraud, for instance. At least not before a significant amount of time had passed without more unlawful behavior. That's justified very directly. Similarly, felons with convictions like assault with a weapon, or illegal gun possession should also lose that right for a long time. Or in the case of domestic violence, if it can be shown that certain behavior correlates too strongly with spousal murder or other violent misbehavior, then maybe people should lose guns for that, for a time.

I think my positions on this stuff are all pretty much common sense and we should look more to evidence rather than emotions when we take away rights. But the reasons for stripping felons of voting rights are basically "we don't like you."

It says in the OP that 18 states let convicted felons on parole vote. All others restore voting rights as soon as you are done with your parole. What am I missing? The only thing they changed is restoring voting rights to parolees, who would have had their rights restored as soon as the parole was over.
I misread your post, man. I agree, if you’ve done your time, including getting off parole, I think all states restore your right to vote. Sorry about that.

I misread your post, man. I agree, if you’ve done your time, including getting off parole, I think all states restore your right to vote. Sorry about that.

No problem, all good.

May have been asked already, but if (when for most) they commit another crime, are they first-time offenders for sentencing? If they were pardoned? You would be "clean", right?

People are on parole for a reason. I'd rather they remain on parole while being allowed to vote. Is this EO going to expunge the totality of their parole? Wipe the conviction off their record?
Being on parole doesn't mean you get your rights back, let alone to vote.

What if some asshole on parole gets to vote then the next day violates their parole? Guess what, they're back in the slammer and you gave a right to some piece of shit who has no proper judgement to vote.

Fuck a felon and fuck you liberal cuckgressives protecting felons of all people.

This will bite him in the ass when some of these clowns start killing folks. And some of them will.

I wonder if he is going to restore their right to own firearms.

Not really.

Why should people who commit felonies have any say in our process? Do you really want that?

Yes. Otherwise it invalidates the point of imprisonment. Personally, very critical of any type of punishments or restrictions that extend past the time that an individual has served his court appointed sentence. Permanent punishment sits poorly with me.

Yes. Otherwise it invalidates the point of imprisonment. Personally, very critical of any type of punishments or restrictions that extend past the time that an individual has served his court appointed sentence. Permanent punishment sits poorly with me.

It's only felons (and you have to work to pick up a felony count that sticks as a felony) and they lose their right to vote or own firearms. I guess I'm old-school, but it makes perfect sense to me. They still pardoned some and restored rights in unusual circumstances where someone went on to be a pillar of society, but those are few and far between like unicorns or chicken teeth and the system seemed fine "as is" to me.

Felony charges are usually knocked down to misdemeanors in a plea agreement at least a couple times or so, unless it's pretty serious. You have to be pretty hard-core to amass a felony rap sheet. In my experience and from what I've seen. And I've experienced and seen some things. lol

And again, doesn't a pardon completely wash away the crime? That's outrageous in this blanket move. Outrageous. That would have to be case-by-case and with great scrutiny to be legit.

Just another 35,000 voters for the Democrats to purge form the city rolls in November.

It's only felons (and you have to work to pick up a felony count that sticks as a felony) and they lose their right to vote or own firearms. I guess I'm old-school, but it makes perfect sense to me. They still pardoned some and restored rights in unusual circumstances where someone went on to be a pillar of society, but those are few and far between like unicorns or chicken teeth and the system seemed fine "as is" to me.

Felony charges are usually knocked down to misdemeanors in a plea agreement at least a couple times or so, unless it's pretty serious. You have to be pretty hard-core to amass a felony rap sheet. In my experience and from what I've seen. And I've experienced and seen some things. lol

And again, doesn't a pardon completely wash away the crime? That's outrageous in this blanket move. Outrageous. That would have to be case-by-case and with great scrutiny to be legit.

My argument doesn't change. If you don't want these people to fully re-enter society then you shouldn't release them. I disagree with permanent removal of rights. Right to vote, 2nd Amendment, etc.

Would you support the permanent removal of the right to free speech for felons?

So take less and less of the ramifications of being a felon away. There needs to be punishments in place to lessen the chance of people committing crimes. Wait till they push for full right restorations for pedophiles.

This hardly counts as a ramification. Barely 50% of eligible votes vote as it is. I doubt many felons are shaking their fists at the sky on Election Day lamenting the path they took. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to vote.

My argument doesn't change. If you don't want these people to fully re-enter society then you shouldn't release them. I disagree with permanent removal of rights. Right to vote, 2nd Amendment, etc.

Would you support the permanent removal of the right to free speech for felons?

No, and I respect your point, but right to vote and have arms seems OK to me---if you want to promote a civil society. They have rejected that, most repeatedly. No reason to have them armed or voting, IMO. Unless they want to apply to have those rights restored on a case-by-case basis, which is a process already availed them. You can write the governor and make your own case for a pardon, for that matter.

No, and I respect your point, but right to vote and have arms seems OK to me---if you want to promote a civil society. They have rejected that, most repeatedly. No reason to have them armed or voting, IMO. Unless they want to apply to have those rights restored on a case-by-case basis, which is a process already availed them. You can write the governor and make your own case for a pardon, for that matter.

I continue to disagree because I don't see how we can say "These Constitutional rights can be permanently taken away but these Constitutional rights cannot."

Back