Great answer on why is unnacceptable for white people to use the n word

Why do some black people insist on using such an insulting word? It seems far more reasonable to discourage the use of the word.

Isaiah Thomas on why nobody should use the n-word:

I think that's a perfectly reasonable stance to have (believing nobody should use it), and I agree that it'd probably be more helpful if everyone just stopped using the word altogether.

But at the same time, when black people explain why they still use the word I understand just fine, and I don't think it's particularly hard to understand why people still choose to use the word. I don't think it's the choice that I would make if I was black, but then again I have no idea how I'd feel if I was black so it's hard to say.

I also don't get even the slightest feeling of unfairness over the fact that people would not be comfortable with me using it.

Why do some black people insist on using such an insulting word?

I'm sure you've heard this explained before. I think some people actively choose not to understand, because they don't personally agree. You can disagree with something, and still understand the people with whom you disagree.

I like how everyone doesn't read the part where I talk about his shit tier antics, and only focuses on the part where I dropped the N bomb and beat his stupid ass.

Like I said, the N bomb can land you in hot water whether you're black or white, best to steer clear.

I'm not really focusing on you dropping him (sometimes it's just what needs to be done) or the racial slur itself (tempers run high and the mouth sometimes just whips out the nastiest shit it can) but rather that you did those two things in front of his kids.

Guy probably shouldn't have been permitted to reproduce in the first place, but since he did, I just don't think it's your place to compound his shitty parenting of them.

I'm not really focusing on you dropping him (sometimes it's just what needs to be done) or the racial slur itself (tempers run high and the mouth sometimes just whips out the nastiest shit it can) but rather that you did those two things in front of his kids.

Guy probably shouldn't have been permitted to reproduce in the first place, but since he did, I just don't think it's your place to compound his shitty parenting of them.
Fair enough critisim. Was a lot of BS going on in that apartment Complex and cooler heads rarely prevailed there... usually the cops were the ones who prevailed at that place.

Terrible explanation. I don’t think any white people should want to use the word, but I also think that if you are using the word in a song for mass consumption by white people they can absolutely sing along to it without being entitled brats. This is the epitome of a bad argument because it’s entirely self-centred in its perspective and entirely places the blame on others.

I think the explanation that he put forward is very solid. There has to be a relationship in place and I think that the presumption of a relationship is not the same thing as there actually being a relationship.

Anecdotally, I use to refer to everyone woman as "honey" or "darling" until my gf of the time explained to me that it was disrespectful to her because it suggested an intimacy with the other person that wasn't fair to my gf (to be fair, I knew that but old habits die hard). Similarly, my wife sometimes refers to the term ABCD's (American Born confused Desi's) in conversations with other Indians although not in a derogatory fashion. I would never presume to throw around the term since I lack the relationship with the Indian community to justify the casual use of a potentially derogatory term.

But it does lead to an interesting question: When is the relationship in place such that the use of a term crosses into acceptable?

If we're talking about someone with no black friends, no connection to the black community except through hip hop music, what is the status of that relationship? Is the relationship with the music sufficient (I tend to think it is if the application is also exclusively in the context with the music but that's my opinion)?

It opens up a broad array of questions regarding the relationship between black America and white America. An interesting side question might be - how many non-black people who think that they should be allowed to use the word in social contexts are also supporters of the various other social issues that underpin the black community's concern with treatment and language? And if they're not supporters thereof, why do they feel strongly about using a potentially derogatory term but not feel strongly about the people who are the subject of that term.

I don't think there are easy answers to any of that but the relationship foundation that Coates puts forward in the video is a solid starting place for a conversation.

I'll be glad when it is used to describe a self destructive subculture.

Kinda like how yall got names for meth addicts and shit.

The hypocrisy surrounding the entire issue is ridiculous. Either they’re all okay to use or none of them are okay. Can’t have your cracka and eat it too.

As I understand it, blacks can call whites "cracka" because blacks never owned and enslaved any whites at any point in America's history.

In some alternate universe right now a white guy is typing "n*****" on a karate forum and it's not being censored. While some black guy is typing "crack3r" to elude the censoring and is getting yellow carded by a mod.

The explanation was very good. He was not talking about how all the white people think, he was talking specifically about white people who complain about not being able to use the word. He's absolutely right, and many of the posts in this thread prove his point.

The fact that some white people get so hung up on this specific issue is hilarious. Who cares? I have never once, in my entire life, wished I could use that word or had the slightest desire to do so. Everybody is in that same position when it comes to something, be it words or actions. Life is full of double standards, it's just hilarious that there's this small group of white guys who just can't accept this particular one.

Also, go through these threads sometime and count how many times white guys tell us what blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, women, etc, all think. Lol. This is a forum, made up almost entirely of white guys, who regularly talk about minorities, their thoughts, ideas motivations, culture, etc.

But this black guy makes one comment, about one specific group of white people, and he gets scoffed at. Everybody here should be able to recognize THAT double standard, but they are too busy of accusing him of double standards, Lol.

A couple of observations- For starters, I find the language being used here to be noteworthy. For instance, the video begins with a question which is prefaced with the claim that white people don't have the right to say the word, and indeed this conversation is often framed as such. Here you even said you never once wished you "could" use the word. Now, you likely know you can say the word, which is why I think this type of language is revealing. I mean, it's a rude thing to say to someone, but obviously being rude is allowed, right? Obviously the white woman has the right, correct?

So what we're actually talking about is that the use of a slur towards someone is offensive, which in itself is not news, and everyone understands this. What I don't understand is that some argue that you can't even say the word in a context that is not meant as offensive unless you're black. That is where I have to interject, and in fact, the video agrees with me on this point; Dude begins by admitting that if the girl had asked the question and said the actual n-word, he would not have been offended because he would have understood. I believe this is the actual point of contention in this entire conversation, whether white people can say the n-word even when it's not meant as a slur.

As we've seen, there are people who get offended when someone who is not black uses the word in a non-offensive way. This is beyond petty. I understand why racial slurs are offensive. It is not controversial to encourage people to be polite to each other. Totally on board with that. Now when you tell me that someone who is not black cannot post rap lyrics with the n-word, or even just say the word, you're the problem.

It is acceptable for any person to use any word they want.
Intention is everything in this regard.
It is onacceptable to say otherwise.

The explanation was very good.

That's your opinion. Sounded like a poor analogy to me.

Also, go through these threads sometime and count how many times white guys tell us what blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, women, etc, all think. Lol. This is a forum, made up almost entirely of white guys, who regularly talk about minorities, their thoughts, ideas motivations, culture, etc.

There's plenty of people here who claim to be black and criticize white people for claiming to have any insight on what the problems/solutions are for the "black community". Hence my comment. I'll keep any eye out to see if you tell those folks that whites are entitled to their opinions on other races and cultures. I hope you do.

There's plenty of people here who claim to be black and criticize white people for claiming to have any insight on what the problems/solutions are for the "black community". Hence my comment. I'll keep any eye out to see if you tell those folks that whites are entitled to their opinions on other races and cultures. I hope you do.

Okay, sure. I'll be waiting for you to tell the much, much larger group of white guys to stop talking about minorities. Or at least I'll expect to see you mock them for doing so, like you did in this thread regarding the man in the video. So basically, almost every single war room thread you'll be doing this, since white guys talking about minorities is one of the war room's central themes.

Unless, of course, you only take that attitude when a black guy speaks about white people. But that couldn't be the case. I'm sure you are just as mocking when whites talk about minorities.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing out the word itself during this discussion, whether it be the ending with er or a. Regardless of the word filter being in place, the site still does not want any of these words being typed out. I'm just passing this down to you. Please avoid doing so. Something like n**** or n word can suffice and only in the context of the discussion itself. Try to be mature in having this discussion.

Why is it so hard to understand that a very small minority, morphs the meaning of a very derrogative word and turn it into something they say to each other and find it disrespectful for you to use it. Do you call your neighbour wife darling?

Oh and if you gonna try to derail this with side conversations or memes, its sad.

Do I call me neighbors wife darling ? No

I also don't call my wife a cunt as term of endearment either which is more analogous to how vacillatingly weird the acceptable use of the n word is.

Terrible explanation. I don’t think any white people should want to use the word, but I also think that if you are using the word in a song for mass consumption by white people they can absolutely sing along to it without being entitled brats. This is the epitome of a bad argument because it’s entirely self-centred in its perspective and entirely places the blame on others.

White people cannot say it, but there is no problem if they pay $$$ to hear it. Race-Hustlers and Rappers have made a lot of money off of the N-Bomb. Confused white teenagers have paid a lot of money to endorse and encourage Gangsta Culture and it's relentless use of the N-Bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black rappers/comedians/entertainers have made the n word a part of pop culture..

Good luck putting that rabbit back in the hat.

As for me..

Anyone who uses words like that around me is welcome.

I like to know who the idiots in the room are as soon as possible.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable stance to have (believing nobody should use it), and I agree that it'd probably be more helpful if everyone just stopped using the word altogether.

But at the same time, when black people explain why they still use the word I understand just fine, and I don't think it's particularly hard to understand why people still choose to use the word. I don't think it's the choice that I would make if I was black, but then again I have no idea how I'd feel if I was black so it's hard to say.

I also don't get even the slightest feeling of unfairness over the fact that people would not be comfortable with me using it.

I'm sure you've heard this explained before. I think some people actively choose not to understand, because they don't personally agree. You can disagree with something, and still understand the people with whom you disagree.

It all comes down to money and the demand of a white audience to hear the word said by black guys pretending to be hardened criminals. It is no secret that rap and thug culture is a creation of the entertainment industry catering to the demand of black violence by white audiences.

Excellent article featured in The New Republic written in 1991 breaking down the white demand for rap music:

"...the history of rap's degeneration from insurgent black street music to mainstream pop points to another dispiriting conclusion: the more rappers were packaged as violent black criminals, the bigger their white audiences became."

@Ruprecht I apologize if the N-Word got through. I read through the parts of the article I posted multiple times to make sure I edited the word out, but I may have missed it once or twice.

The Rap on Rap
The 'black music' that isn't either.

So it was that America awoke on June 22, 1991, to find that its favorite record was not Out of Time, by aging college-boy rockers R.E.M., but N***4life, a musical celebration of gang rape and other violence by N.W.A., or N*** With Attitude, a rap group from the Los Angeles ghetto of Compton whose records had never before risen above No. 27 on the Billboard charts.

From N***4life to Boyz N the Hood, young black men committing acts of violence were available this summer in a wide variety of entertainment formats. Of these none is more popular than rap. And none has received quite the level of critical attention and concern. Writers on the left have long viewed rap as the heartbeat of urban America, its authors, in Arthur Kempton's words, "the pre-eminent young dramaturgists in the clamorous theater of the street." On the right, this assumption has been shared, but greeted with predictable disdain.

Neither side of the debate has been prepared, however, to confront what the entertainment industry's receipts from this summer prove beyond doubt: although rap is still proportionally more popular among blacks, its primary audience is white and lives in the suburbs. And the history of rap's degeneration from insurgent black street music to mainstream pop points to another dispiriting conclusion: the more rappers were packaged as violent black criminals, the bigger their white audiences became.

Rap's new mass audience was in large part the brainchild of Rick Rubin, a Jewish punk rocker from suburban Long Island who produced the music behind many of rap's biggest acts....

With rap, however, this process took an unexpected turn: white demand indeed began to determine the direction of the genre, but what it wanted was music more defiantly black. The result was Public Enemy, produced and marketed by Rubin, the next group significantly to broaden rap's appeal to young whites.

The ways in which rap has been consumed and popularized speak not of cross-cultural understanding, musical or otherwise, but of a voyeurism and tolerance of racism in which black and white are both complicit. "Both the rappers and their white fans affect and commodify their own visions of street culture," argues Henry Louis Gates Jr. of Harvard University, "like buying Navajo blankets at a reservation road-stop. A lot of what you see in rap is the guilt of the black middle class about its economic success, its inability to put forth a culture of its own. Instead they do the worst possible thing, falling back on fantasies of street life. In turn, white college students with impeccable gender credentials buy nasty sex lyrics under the cover of getting at some kind of authentic black experience."

Gates goes on to make the more worrying point: "What is potentially very dangerous about this is the feeling that by buying records they have made some kind of valid social commitment."

https://newrepublic.com/article/120894/david-samuels-rap-rap-1991

The man who played a large role in popularizing rap, Rick Rubin:

220px-RickRubinSept09.jpg

th

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm super pissed everyone started using White People, in almost every news story

It's kinda racist

The N-Bomb is not exactly a term of endearment. It would probably be best if black people stopped using it too. What other group uses such vile language to refer to one another? For example, I do not hear Chinese people calling each other **inks or people from the middle east using the term Sand N-Bomb when to refer to each other or Sikhs dropping the term towel-head when greeting each other.

If you do not want people using the term, then stop using it to sell mainstream albums, books and movies.

You win! Perfect!

"The n-word" at this point is just a left wing bullying tactic. Just another on the list if things you can't say or you'll be fired. The left control culture at the moment and they're riddled with guilt and self hatred.

I don't think internet lefties realize that your average person off the street doesn't care about racism, or the feelings of blacks at all.

Back