Economy Great Article Breaking Down the US Housing Crisis & Why Government Isn't Doing Anything About It

I just took a glance on Zillow, $400k for a 2/1, nah I'm good. Lol, There's a couple 3/2's for a bit more but I'd bet my car they need work. Everything else is either condos or $900k and up for giant houses that overlook the lake. The design of the City is great though. Last year at the Christmas Parade we parked overlooking the lake on a hill and walked to main street in a little over 10 mins, with a stroller.

There would be a line up for days in Ontario ( and most of canada) at those prices. Goes back to my point of americans have it good compared to the rest of the west in terms of real estate cost.

But zoning has become so god damn restrictive that it would be illegal these days to build most of the "main street" up-town mixed use historic areas that were built like a century ago.
Yeah, it's kind of weird to look at some choices becoming unavailable (illegal) and others getting subsidized and conclude that that reveals anything about preferences. He also fails to account for the fact that the country as a whole has been getting much richer.

There would be a line up for days in Ontario ( and most of canada) at those prices. Goes back to my point of americans have it good compared to the rest of the west in terms of real estate cost.

The only people who can afford those costs here work in upper management, or are Cali transplants. Because wages don't keep up with increased COL.

The only people who can afford those costs here work in upper management, or are Cali transplants. Because wages don't keep up with increased COL.

Thats not refuting my point of the US still being much better off from a real estate standpoint compared to the vast, vast majority of comparable nations. You rank super high in PPI, and property price to income ratio

Well, first "control" implies removing choices rather than informing them. If you have two dishes, I'm controlling you if I say you can only have one of them. if I say that one of them, say, has less sugar but is more widely liked, I'm informing you. Second, you ask a hundred different people how the media is "propagandizing" them, you'll get a hundred different answers. Fox is a fascist, and he'd probably say that it's by convincing people not to be racists (or however he'd phrase that). You'd probably say that they're turning people into capitalists or something. Which also raises the question: How are you able to escape this force that controls other people? Most people here think they arrived at their own views naturally after deep reflection and research, while people who disagree with them have been brainwashed by the media.

For the record, mass persuasion of all types has been a massive flop. IMO, if you killed a young Bernays, it would have exactly zero impact outside his social circle.

I've studied propaganda very thoroughly (film school). I mean I just showed hie suburban life was heavily propagandized as being optimal to Americans despite how badly it destroyed families and even people's physical health, not just mental. All you are arguing is the difference between implicit and explicit control. Bernays literally wrote books on controlling the masses and no one who has ever studied him considers the efforts of "public relations" to be a massive flop lol. We have entire industries built through suggestive means, and the early idea of Bernays and his work with the Government was two-fold, first he successfully moved advertising from being "needs" based to being "wants" based.

Before this kind of advertising you actually had to substantiate why someone needed to buy your product. His work was to make marketing more about how things are status symbols you WANT to have so you feel like your life is awesome. I mean we manufacture vehicles based solely on this principal.

Secondly he made Wars popular, most importantly the usurping of resources of Central America. Bernays is why Americans are perfectly happy to consume goods from Central America with little more than callous disregard for the disasters those Countries are. Sentiment which continues right now.

In sorry but to diminish this movement in American media is comically absurd, it has been very well-documented and researched. The first suburb propaganda film I posted above was put up by David Hoffman. A very prolific film maker and Historian who has documented probably 50 years of American discourse, I'd recommend deep-diving his content.

P.S. - you dont determine who has been propagandized by asking them if they think they were. You just ask them where they got their views from, you trace it to the source. Masses of people think the same thing in a period of time, you track the origin of the sentiment.

Thats not refuting my point of the US still being much better off from a real estate standpoint compared to the vast, vast majority of comparable nations. You rank super high in PPI, and property price to income ratio

Yeah I'm not refuting the comparison, just saying it doesnt help people here who cant afford the prices.

I sincerely hope you're not suggesting we're not heavily propagandize by our media. If I could go back in time and unalive someone before they became influential who isnt named Adolf Hitler, it would probably be Eddie Bernays:

Nah it's his uncle Sigmund you want to take out. Two birds with one stone here. You could even say that might have helped to curb Nazism (maybe).

Right outside Vegas there's a small town called Boulder City. Its walkable. The demand to live there is insane. The only chance someone has of buying a house there now is if someone dies and doesnt leave it to a family member.
Let’s take this example.

What can be done here?

Islam would have these residents build tiny homes in their backyards. Is that something you’d support? Do you think these people would want 2-3x the number of people in that neighborhood?

Let’s take this example.

What can be done here?

Islam would have these residents build tiny homes in their backyards. Is that something you’d support? Do you think these people would want 2-3x the number of people in that neighborhood?

Well, the high demand to live there is largely because Vegas sucks by-comparison. People want to live somewhere that looks like that as much as, if not more, than they want to live here. So first I'd say model here more after the ideas there, just on a larger scale. That said, again I'm against NIMBY-ism as a principal, so I dont have a ton of tolerance for people who honestly believe they have the right to bar other people from living in places without some larger circumstance like a lack of drinkable water.

But the mayors in those places are all democrats. At least that’s the line we get when it’s about crime.

Not to mention you’re just wrong. There’s quite a few blue states in the top two categories. There might be more red but not enough to prove a trend

Unrelated, but I am actually surprised ownership in Texas is so low. I wonder what’s causing that?
I am not wrong at all.

Home ownership rate vs % republican vote in the 2020 federal election:
Sources:

Data points (home ownership %, % voting for republicans):
Alabama​
70.2​
62.03​
Alaska​
66.1​
52.83​
Arizona​
67.4​
49.06​
Arkansas​
66.5​
62.4​
California​
55.8​
34.32​
Colorado​
66.4​
41.9​
Connecticut​
66.3​
39.21​
Delaware​
74.1​
39.8​
District of Columbia​
40.2​
5.4​
Florida​
67.2​
51.22​
Georgia​
65.9​
49.26​
Hawaii​
62.6​
34.27​
Idaho​
72.3​
63.84​
Illinois​
67.1​
40.55​
Indiana​
70.8​
57.02​
Iowa​
72​
53.09​
Kansas​
67.7​
56.21​
Kentucky​
68.8​
62.09​
Louisiana​
67.6​
58.46​
Maine​
74.1​
44.02​
Maryland​
67.7​
32.15​
Massachusetts​
62.2​
32.14​
Michigan​
73.2​
47.84​
Minnesota​
72.1​
45.28​
Mississippi​
69.9​
57.6​
Missouri​
67.6​
56.8​
Montana​
68.8​
56.92​
Nebraska​
66​
58.51​
Nevada​
60.3​
47.67​
New Hampshire​
72.3​
45.36​
New Jersey​
64.6​
41.4​
New Mexico​
70.9​
43.5​
New York​
54.1​
37.75​
North Carolina​
66.7​
49.93​
North Dakota​
65.1​
65.11​
Ohio​
67.3​
53.27​
Oklahoma​
65.4​
65.37​
Oregon​
62.8​
40.37​
Pennsylvania​
69.1​
48.84​
Rhode​
63.3​
38.61​
South​
72​
55.11​
South​
69.6​
61.77​
Tennessee​
67.2​
60.66​
Texas​
62.5​
52.06​
Utah​
71.2​
58.13​
Vermont​
73.7​
30.67​
Virginia​
67.4​
44​
Washington​
64.2​
38.77​
West Virginia​
74.5​
68.63​
Wisconsin​
68.1​
48.82​
Wyoming​
72.7​
69.94​

Plug that into a correlation calculator (https://www.socscistatistics.com/tests/pearson/default2.aspx):

Pearson Correlation Coefficient Calculator​

The value of R is 0.5753.

This is a moderate positive correlation, which means there is a tendency for high X variable scores go with high Y variable scores (and vice versa).

The results would be drastically worse if I accounted for population sizes as well (as places like New York and California have massive populations and very low home ownership rates which would only make the correlation stronger), but you can feel free to do that on your own.

Well, the high demand to live there is largely because Vegas sucks by-comparison. People want to live somewhere that looks like that as much as, if not more, than they want to live here. So first I'd say model here more after the ideas there, just on a larger scale. That said, again I'm against NIMBY-ism as a principal, so I dont have a ton of tolerance for people who honestly believe they have the right to bar other people from living in places without some larger circumstance like a lack of drinkable water.
I’m totally for more building. I think govt should fucking go balls to the wall with subsidation of housing. I just don’t think that backyard living should be in suburban neighborhoods. If people want to build neighborhoods with tiny homes, more power to them.

I’m totally for more building. I think govt should fucking go balls to the wall with subsidation of housing. I just don’t think that backyard living should be in suburban neighborhoods. If people want to build neighborhoods with tiny homes, more power to them.

Casitas are actually pretty financially lucrative though. If you have one to rent, it makes sense. Two of my students started out renting Casitas, one is now in a duplex. They're just overpriced now, too. I dont think any option should be overlooked in the face of housing crisis, but I do think it should be well-implemented.

Casitas are actually pretty financially lucrative though. If you have one to rent, it makes sense. Two of my students started out renting Casitas, one is now in a duplex. They're just overpriced now, too. I dont think any option should be overlooked in the face of housing crisis, but I do think it should be well-implemented.
The issue is with your last sentence. In Austin, it’s a free for all. RVs parked in front yards. Basically putting 300sqft homes anywhere they can.

The issue is safety AND the reduction of standard of living.

They really can't even be without very large tax increases. The fundamental issue is that maintenance costs cannot be covered by the existing tax base in '50s style developments. What you have in a lot of them is the gov't fronting a lot of the initial costs, and then the first generation can have very low taxes because there's not much that needs to be done, but eventually maintenance needs rise, and towns can cover it with debt or small tax increases or by putting off maintenance. But that's not indefinitely sustainable.
This is a big reason why I've become a bit radicalized against this kind of urban planning. Its only dangerous in the sense that it leads to more deaths from MVCs but its also economically unsustainable. The fact that its not environmentally sustainable is the icing on the cake
The issue is that people like Rob don't want people like your students being able to live near them so that anecdote just proves his point from his POV.

I've studied propaganda very thoroughly (film school). I mean I just showed hie suburban life was heavily propagandized as being optimal to Americans despite how badly it destroyed families and even people's physical health, not just mental. All you are arguing is the difference between implicit and explicit control. Bernays literally wrote books on controlling the masses and no one who has ever studied him considers the efforts of "public relations" to be a massive flop lol. We have entire industries built through suggestive means, and the early idea of Bernays and his work with the Government was two-fold, first he successfully moved advertising from being "needs" based to being "wants" based.

Before this kind of advertising you actually had to substantiate why someone needed to buy your product. His work was to make marketing more about how things are status symbols you WANT to have so you feel like your life is awesome. I mean we manufacture vehicles based solely on this principal.

Secondly he made Wars popular, most importantly the usurping of resources of Central America. Bernays is why Americans are perfectly happy to consume goods from Central America with little more than callous disregard for the disasters those Countries are. Sentiment which continues right now.

In sorry but to diminish this movement in American media is comically absurd, it has been very well-documented and researched. The first suburb propaganda film I posted above was put up by David Hoffman. A very prolific film maker and Historian who has documented probably 50 years of American discourse, I'd recommend deep-diving his content.

P.S. - you dont determine who has been propagandized by asking them if they think they were. You just ask them where they got their views from, you trace it to the source. Masses of people think the same thing in a period of time, you track the origin of the sentiment.
We've discussed this before (I pointed out that Bernays' actual greatest move was convincing people that he was effective). I cited Hugo Mercier's Not Born Yesterday, which collects a lot of research on this (hence the conclusion that mass persuasion has been a massive failure). But I don't think you addressed the points I made in my previous response ITT. What is it exactly that people are persuaded of? Different people say different things, in part because people choose media that tells them what they want to hear and then convince themselves that everyone else is brainwashed. And how are you able to resist the pull?

And at any rate, even if you believe that the media, advertising, and academia (?) are more persuasive than studies suggest, it's stretching beyond reason to say that they control people.

We've discussed this before (I pointed out that Bernays' actual greatest move was convincing people that he was effective). I cited Hugo Mercier's Not Born Yesterday, which collects a lot of research on this (hence the conclusion that mass persuasion has been a massive failure). But I don't think you addressed the points I made in my previous response ITT. What is it exactly that people are persuaded of? Different people say different things, in part because people choose media that tells them what they want to hear and then convince themselves that everyone else is brainwashed. And how are you able to resist the pull?

And at any rate, even if you believe that the media, advertising, and academia (?) are more persuasive than studies suggest, it's stretching beyond reason to say that they control people.

In response to this I looked at a few excerpts from Hugo's book, and read an interview of him. I dont think he is saying anything revolutionary about propaganda or misinformation, what he says is people use information to confirm pre-existing biases and that our reasoning will always push to do that. Here is a statement from the interview:

"Nowadays, you are going to see a lot of people who will doubt information from a variety of sources that this epidemic is bad, that the virus is much worse than the flu and all of this. You’re going to see a lot of people doubt that and this is going to be a much more important problem than people accepting false information. For instance, if someone accepts that it’s all a conspiracy by the Chinese, it is unclear that it will make them act in a way that is really deleterious, whereas if they reject that the virus is worse than the flu and they do nothing, there you have a problem."

And what happened? Politicians here actually told people this was no worse than the flu. That became the false information that people accepted, and it cost lives. And we have measurable data that dismissal of the virus killed many more people depending on how they vote.

Here was his response to being asked about vaccine information:

"What it comes down to is this. The vast majority of the people are going to trust their doctors in these decisions. And the core of people who don’t, the core of people who are really against vaccination, they were already resistant before."

He seems to make consistent appeals to authority in his work, which is funny. That people will just...be told what to do by the right people. Yet we saw a new phenomenon during COVID and since, we saw people become anti-vaxxers about only one vaccine. On this very board people did mental backflips to become resistant to vaccine data, people who had been vaccinated themselves, even people who actually got the covid vaccine, railing against it, while being perfectly fine with the idea of vaccination in other contexts...because they allowed themselves to be convinced that at least some part of the pandemic was a hoax. It seems all Mercier would say is it only worked because it played on their beliefs, and came from a source they trusted. Yeah no sh*t, that's Propaganda 101. However, many people did NOT trust their Doctors, people who had gotten previous vaccines. In fact we had regular occurrence of people convinced they were NOT dying of COVID, because it wasn't real.

For my experience, I have taken psychology courses IN film school designed to alert us to understanding how the images we create effect people. This included studying propaganda, subliminal messaging, etc. To suggest that Bernays was unsuccessful and that the role of propaganda is meaningless or a massive failure is just wrong, if there was no substance to it it wouldn't be an essential part of media training. I've also worked for a National Level advertiser, much of my early career was in advertising. Ad execs tend to be painfully uncreative, what they specialize in is figuring out stupid things that get into people's heads.

As for Bernays himself, he was a massive narcissist. But understating his importance is just silly, the guy was compared to fascist leaders in his day. The only reason he wasn't ostracized on a global scale was because while he openly advocated for propaganda, he would often say that democracy allows for pluralism of propaganda while fascism only allows for State propaganda, otherwise he was pretty heralded by basically everyone:

"The Bulletin of the Financial Advertisers Association examined profit figures in 1935 and then called Bernays 'the outstanding counsel on public relations in the United States today, a profession he was largely instrumental in creating.'"

I think there is plenty of evidence that large portions of people can be controlled. I mean if there weren't there wouldn't be tens of thousands of Scientologists. Q-Anon would have quickly faded into oblivion. Americans wouldn't be driving gigantic penis-enhancement trucks that destroy our roads and kill children, with the impression that they're safer the larger a vehicle is. Hell we wouldn't be driving much at all, nor would we be pursuing "the American Dream" nor would we be lamenting for something that was entirely propaganda in the first place:

This sh*t was all over TV in the 50's, along with anti-gay, anti-communist, and anti-integration ones I could post.

That is true though, that's a big reason as to why we have this kind of arbitrary and exclusionary zoning. You yourself have mentioned in the past that renters are less invested in their surroundings and thus are sub-optimal neighbors. In practice that means you don't want people like his students being able to live in a suburb like you do because they can't afford a SFH and you would refuse to allow more dense, multifamily housing in suburbs that would allow for such folks to live there.

Back