Great Wrestling in BJJ

Crossface9

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey everyone Im starting Jiu Jitsu this week and would love to see some Great examples of guys to watch. preferably no gi but ill be doing both so gi as well. my Criteria is Guys you love watcing that are agressive, great take downs, smash you on top and great submission. So really, great Wrestlers/ top players. Thanks a lot Happy Training.

Hey everyone Im starting Jiu Jitsu this week and would love to see some Great examples of guys to watch. preferably no gi but ill be doing both so gi as well. my Criteria is Guys you love watcing that are agressive, great take downs, smash you on top and great submission. So really, great Wrestlers/ top players. Thanks a lot Happy Training.
Buchecha and Marceloare good places to start. Even Marcelo's guard work is basically sitting wrestling. Galvao has had decent wrestling too.

An old school guy my original instructor showed me who was good at takedowns and top game gi and nogi was Leo Viera

I'm nowhere close to an aficionado though. Others will know better or more examples

Ricardo Arona was incredible. He didn't get tonnes of finishes but he was a great passer, heavy ontop, excellent wrestler. Very graceful as a grappler.

Justin Rader is a pure top player with a wrestling base.
Rustam Chsiev is a wrestler who managed to give a lot of high level bjj guys trouble with good wrestling and with zero jiu jits (I wouldn't try to emulate him).

Wilson Reis and Durinho are pretty good wrestlers in BJJ. They also have a ton of footage of them where you can kind of disect what kind of wrestling skillsets and concepts they are bringing to the table in terms of using it against BJJ.

Justin Rader is a pure top player with a wrestling base.
Rustam Chsiev is a wrestler who managed to give a lot of high level bjj guys trouble with good wrestling and with zero jiu jits (I wouldn't try to emulate him).
Rustam is hilarious. Did you see him at EBI shaking guys off his back like it's nothing?

Rader is a bad motherfucker for sure.

Thanks a lot guys, Wow... I just watched Justin Rader and he was very impressive. I love his aggressive, yet controlled style, plus how he dives for the neck.

Wilson Reis and Durinho are pretty good wrestlers in BJJ. They also have a ton of footage of them where you can kind of disect what kind of wrestling skillsets and concepts they are bringing to the table in terms of using it against BJJ.
Thats awesome thanks a lot, I'm glad you mentioned about the differnt styles thats very important. I'm sure itll probablly help me figure out what my style will be.

People underestimate how good Gary Tonon is with his takedown ability. Very aggressive and he can hit some smooth takedowns at times.

People underestimate how good Gary Tonon is with his takedown ability. Very aggressive and he can hit some smooth takedowns at times.
Thats awesome.. Ill check him out again I watched him before and saw what you talked about and loved watching him.

Rustam is hilarious. Did you see him at EBI shaking guys off his back like it's nothing?

Rader is a bad motherfucker for sure.

That just made my day thanks a lot dude. Its refreshing to see BJJ playwrs so aggressive yet so technical and precise.

You should also watch AJ vs Jake Shields if you can find it. AJ is a good wrestler and scrambler but Jake is...well...just better lol.

This Why I love Submission wrestling, I love how Jake stayed rough and heavy and loved how he went for that armbar at the end! I wonder if he would of went for all those sub attempts if this wasn't a blood feud? Ohhh dude, Tonon vs Palahares was on that card to... Its not on youtube.

Last edited:
Back