GSP has outdated take down technque and will have no answer for Khabib *serious discussion only

GSP got to be one of the best pound for pound of all time he was Phenomenal I only recognised by how good he was looking at prior fights and documentary about him.

Hes so modest w he lives his life. Supposodly no one in the gym has ever see George loose his temper and he has an aura around him. You know your training with somone who is the Budo of martial arts.

The meta of MMA has evolved. Single leg and double leg take down defense is standard, just like having BJJ defense is a standard. That is why people like Khabib had to evolve their take downs by using cage walls and trips.

Khabib was once like GSP. He primarily set up his takedowns using striking, then changed levels for a double/single. That was successful for a period until the Tibau fight in which he got nullified. After that fight you will notice he completely changed his take down strategy. This is in huge part because he joined AKA where he learned to wrestle with Cormier. The rest is history. No one can stop his take downs.

GSP is an athlete not a fighter. He relied on his athleticism to cover up his chin, which at times has been wobbled by the likes of Hendricks, Condit. After getting exposed by an unranked long shot Serra, GSP changed his game to something safe, valuing point fighting over taking any risk.

It took a juiced Hendricks just to be on the same level as GSP. If a juiced fighter can barely keep up with GSP, it really speaks volumes on how much GSP trains. He has the muscle definition, size and endurance that you don't see in many people who can fight for long periods of time.

GSP's success relied in part because of his timing/explosiveness/technique. If we were to make a pie chart of how much each has contributed to his wins it would look like this.

3dfsfm.png

Given that explosiveness and timing are largely dependent on age, it would be irrefutable to assume that GSP maintained his peak physical form after that many years. This is further supported by GSP slow and sluggish performance against Bisping who was a man already set on retirement while training for GSP.

Khabib will be able to easily stuff GSP's archaic takedowns and demonstrate just how far MMA wrestling has come, by showing techniques that were never thought possible by GSP or any of his past opponents.

I don't even know if you are being serious. To think Zahabi, Danaher and GSP would be as dumb as you think they are makes you look like a complete tool. Archaic takedowns lmao wut.

GSP is old and that is the only factor stopping this from being a great fight. Dat arbitrary pie chart doe faceplan.jpeg

2 of the best guys in the world fighting each other to see who is the best both training to the next level. Id fly out to where this fights goung to be at if I can I will.

I think if anything, GSP's entries will have suffered the most. The injuries to his knee combined with his age make me think he wouldn't be able to replicate his quick entries. Although he does measure distance very well, and imo people constantly underrate his striking.

The meta of MMA has evolved. Single leg and double leg take down defense is standard, just like having BJJ defense is a standard. That is why people like Khabib had to evolve their take downs by using cage walls and trips.

Khabib was once like GSP. He primarily set up his takedowns using striking, then changed levels for a double/single. That was successful for a period until the Tibau fight in which he got nullified. After that fight you will notice he completely changed his take down strategy. This is in huge part because he joined AKA where he learned to wrestle with Cormier. The rest is history. No one can stop his take downs.

GSP is an athlete not a fighter. He relied on his athleticism to cover up his chin, which at times has been wobbled by the likes of Hendricks, Condit. After getting exposed by an unranked long shot Serra, GSP changed his game to something safe, valuing point fighting over taking any risk.

It took a juiced Hendricks just to be on the same level as GSP. If a juiced fighter can barely keep up with GSP, it really speaks volumes on how much GSP trains. He has the muscle definition, size and endurance that you don't see in many people who can fight for long periods of time.

GSP's success relied in part because of his timing/explosiveness/technique. If we were to make a pie chart of how much each has contributed to his wins it would look like this.

3dfsfm.png

Given that explosiveness and timing are largely dependent on age, it would be irrefutable to assume that GSP maintained his peak physical form after that many years. This is further supported by GSP slow and sluggish performance against Bisping who was a man already set on retirement while training for GSP.

Khabib will be able to easily stuff GSP's archaic takedowns and demonstrate just how far MMA wrestling has come, by showing techniques that were never thought possible by GSP or any of his past opponents.
I took you serious until you decided to make shit up, thus not being serious......

Let me know when you're up for a serious GSP / Khabib discussion.

Georges trains every day (with these magical evolved beasts)

Did you miss the Bisping fight where GSP went 3/4 against a guy who probably weighed 15 pounds more in the octagon and is known for having good tdd? His entries also looked very quick still.

Fitch , Shields and Koscheck are about as pure wrestling as you can get.

Fitch was a grinder but he got off balanced and GSP took him down, Shields is bjj and kos became a striker. Khabib is a much better wrestler because he only trains that and he only uses that. plus his pressure is really good.

GSP blast double within 45s.
Even if severely dehydrated to make 155.

Fitch was a grinder but he got off balanced and GSP took him down, Shields is bjj and kos became a striker. Khabib is a much better wrestler because he only trains that and he only uses that. plus his pressure is really good.
You think Khabib could beat prime Shields (or prime Kos or Fitch) at WW?
Come on man, there's a reason he cuts a lot.

GSP made a career out of out wrestling-elite wrestlers. While I wouldn't count khabib out, he brings literally nothing to the table that Georges hasn't seen.

Hughes was one of the Goat snd s pure wrestler . Khabib has decent striking and good sambo /Bjj. does that mean he is no longer a pure wrestler ? Fitch , Shields and Kos had other attributes YES and you can say “ grinder “all you want to somehow win an argument that Khabib is a better “ wrestler “ but to deny those four mma fighters wrestling abilities to prove Khabib is better is disingenuous . Shields was a wrestler first and foremost who used great wrestling to set up submissions . Just cause he and Kos had awkwardly decent striking doesn’t mean they weren’t wrestlers . Hendrcks that lost to GSP ( I thought he won ) had balance from hell and was a wrestler who had power . . Now if you mean their style wasn’t just jab , jab ,overhand clinch takedown like Khabib ( well Fitchs style was like that )we can agree . I’d even say he’s a better MMA wrestler than all of them but to say GSP hasn’t fought wrestlers is plain wrong . Is Khabib BETTER than them and MOSTLY uses “ wrestling “ ( mostly clinch takedowns really ) than I’d say “ yes “.BUT he hadn’t fought NCAA top level wrestlers like GSP . Iaquinta ?! Trujillo ?! Michael Fucking Johnson ?! Give me a fuckimg break . Those guys aren’t the wrestlers that Hendricks (2x Div 1 champ ) , Hughes( all American ) , Kos ( NCAA champ ) , Fitch ( decent Div 1 college wrestler ) and even Junior College Shields were . To argue that is insane really . Iaquinta gave Khabib his toughest fight cause of COLLEGE WRESTLING .We can agree to disagree .

Last edited:
Hendricks has had 10x more testing than GSP and never failed a test.

GSP was a pre-USADA monster but Hendricks is called the juicer. Sherdoggers suck at logic
GSP looked exactly the same when he fought Bisping as he looked at any other point in his career, maybe even bigger, and he passed USADA. While Hendricks never failed a test, he instantly became a shell of himself after USADA came in. He blames it on the IV ban. But even if he was only using IVs to rehydrate instead of flush his system, that still means he needed a massive size advantage to compete at the top of WW.

Didn't Tibau, a wrestler with likely inferior technique to GSP take Khabib down?

I disagree. Gsp type takedowns still work. It all comes off his jab. He has a masterful jab and can combo off it and/go for a TD off the jab or combo. Plus he has longer reach and is bigger

Hendricks has had 10x more testing than GSP and never failed a test.

GSP was a pre-USADA monster but Hendricks is called the juicer. Sherdoggers suck at logic

? Henricks went 1-5 post USADA and missed weight 4 times...

GSP spent almost 2 years in the USADA testing pool when he came back, never failed a test and beat a former 205 pounder for the MW strap.

It's not about whether or not Hendricks used but it looks like he stopped when USADA went live and immediately fell off a cliff in terms of performance. GSP on the other hand came back during the USADA era and beat a guy many thought he would lose to (myself included).

Lest we forget, GSP retired because he wanted much more aggressive testing for Hendricks than was available at the time (which despite GSP offering to pay for, Hendricks refused). He has stated multiple times that he quit because drug testing at that time was not thorough enough.

Fucking LMAO!! Fitch would have been the WW champ if Georges didn't exist. Shields and Kos were both ultra elite wrestlers in college, and Shields took bronze at ADCC and gold at Pan Ams, both far greater grappling credentials than the extremely niche combat sambo that khabib does.

Back