GSP vs Woodley will happen..just not at WW.

Jon Stark

King in the North
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Read between the lines fans. GSP is clearly not interested in a return to WW but if Woodley continues to win I suspect GSP will be satisfied with the worth of his stock to challenge him at LW or the often rumoured 165 division.

Should GSP win the LW title over Khabib no other fight other than Conor would generate as much revenue and interest

Woodley would be given the opportunity to be a 2 division champ.

This would the first time since the LW/WW champs fought since Penn/GSP in 2009. Champ vs champ is huge.

GSP's WW legacy is maintained and losing to Woodley would not be as detrimental at one of these lower weight divisions.

This fight could possibly happen if Woodley lost the WW title as well but from a selling/legacy standpoint.

I suspect GSP's last 3 fights are Khabib then either Woodley or Conor, not in that order. We get three more fights from him before he retires for good at some point in 2021. Please bump this thread once this fight happens.

I don't think 165 is a sustainable weight for Woodley.

He could make it once, but once only.

Tbh I still favor GSP over Woodley at 170 but I don't think it happens as I believe it's Khabib or bust for GSP as his career is winding to an end. Nothing left to prove at 170, he is clearly the GOAT there and will be for a long time.

If 165 and 175 opens this is the fight. If it doesn't open I still want to see this fight.

GSP will never step in the Octagon with a well rounded monster like Woodley.

Prime Hendricks was more well-rounded than Woodley, as was prime Penn. GSP beat both, and he beat Hendricks even while being the worst version of himself that we'd seen for over half a decade.

Prime Hendricks was more well-rounded than Woodley, as was prime Penn. GSP beat both, and he beat Hendricks even while being the worst version of himself that we'd seen for over half a decade.
Woodley is Hendricks 2.0. Penn is a natural FW/LW. Hendricks beat GSP.

GSP is currently avoiding Woodley and his KO power like the plague.

GSP is terrified of Woodley. He knows he has nothing for him inside the cage therefore we won't ever see this fight at any weight. GSP rarely even says Woodley's name lmao.

Actually I could see Khabib and GSP happening at 165.

Easier for GSP to make the weight and for Khabib a shot at a new belt.

GSP vs. Woodley will never happen. Sorry GSP isn't interested and neither are the fans.

Listen to GSP, he's all about LEGACY.

Woodley lost to his little brother, Rory.

What does he really gain from beating Woodley? He's already considered the WW GOAT. If he loses, then what? Rory is the GOAT? If he beats Woodley, then everyone will say he needs to beat Colby, Usman, Till, etc... He has one fight left and I hope it's against 27-0 Khabib.

GSP is terrified of Woodley. He knows he has nothing for him inside the cage therefore we won't ever see this fight at any weight. GSP rarely even says Woodley's name lmao.

You are actually dumb enough to believe that? Sigh...

GSP has no interest in fighting Woodley for three reasons that have been discussed here 100's of times.

First, from a legacy perspective, it does nothing for GSP. He retired a dominant WW champ. Taking back his own belt accomplishes what exactly?

Second, Woodley is one of the least popular champs the UFC currently has. Events he has headlined have had terrible PPV buy rates. Even with GSP shoring it up, it would still be crap and given GSP gets PPV points, he will want what will likely be his last fight to be a huge payday.

Finally, GSP wants to do something no one else has done in MMA. Currently there are a smaller group that are or have been 2 division champs. GSP, Couture, Penn, and McGregor.

GSP wants to be a 3 division champ, either by capturing the 155 belt or maybe a new 165 belt.

GSP has fought and beat far better fighters than Woodley. GSP is a far better version of Rory Macdonald and we all know how that fight went for Woodley.

You haven't been listening. Woodley is touched on often.

Woodley is Koscheck, only with better hands and a far less explosive power double.

Hendricks is a completely different animal to Woodley.

I see this comparison all the time and when I do that is when I know I'm dealing with a dunce.

Hendricks is a southpaw while Woodley is an orthodox fighter.

Hendricks pressures while Woodley is complacent and waits for a mistake to capitalize.

These two things alone set Hendricks and Woodley apart in regards to GSP.

Hendricks took away the most important weapon GSP uses to set up strikes and takedowns...That piston jab.

His southpaw stance and constantly handfighting GSP's lead hand, along with coming forward constantly...Threw a monkey wrench in GSP's usual strategy against a wrestle boxer. This allowed Hendricks to have free reign to throw shit at GSP's face and especially his body.

Handfight with the right and swing the left, he was very successful in this.

This also lends to his success with takedown defense. GSP obviously hasn't had the same pop in his double since the knee surgeries, and has relied heavily on the jab to set up the takedowns. Without the jab, he had a much more difficult time closing the distance for successful takedowns. It doesn't help when Hendricks is a bull of a wrestler.(Pre-USADA but still...)

Woodley isn't Hendricks, not even remotely close either.

Woodley doesn't have the tools to make GSP look bad like Hendricks did.

That was Hendricks' perfect storm to best GSP.

Woodley would suffer the same fate as all the righty wrestle boxers that GSP has built a career out of beating to a pulp.

Even this version of GSP has a 7 out of 10 chance at making Woodley look foolish.

All four comments you made here are either hyper bias opinion or just incorrect. Let's try a little harder.

Woodley is Koscheck, only with better hands and a far less explosive power double.

I see this comparison all the time and when I do that is when I know I'm dealing with a dunce.

Hendricks pressures while Woodley is complacent and waits for a mistake to capitalize.

Hendricks took away the most important weapon GSP uses to set up strikes and takedowns...That piston jab.

His southpaw stance and constantly handfighting GSP's lead hand, along with coming forward constantly...Threw a monkey wrench in GSP's usual strategy against a wrestle boxer. This allowed Hendricks to have free reign to throw shit at GSP's face and especially his body.

This also lends to his success with takedown defense. GSP obviously hasn't had the same pop in his double since the knee surgeries, and has relied heavily on the jab to set up the takedowns. Without the jab, he had a much more difficult time closing the distance for successful takedowns. It doesn't help when Hendricks is a bull of a wrestler.(Pre-USADA but still...)

Woodley would suffer the same fate as all the righty wrestle boxers that GSP has built a career out of beating to a pulp.

Even this version of GSP has a 7 out of 10 chance at making Woodley look foolish.
I'm not trying to downplay Hendricks performance but the odds are he was on PED's which probably contributed to his high level performance and not fading hard in the 4th and 5th rounds.

GSP fans are much more confident in their hero fighting than GSP himself. It’s truly incredible.

Fact: If GSP thought he could beat Woodley, he would fight him instead of avoiding him and his natural weight class for Ping and Conor.

GSP’s double-talk is beyond tiresome.
He's a businessman and misdirection is a good move.

He will come back, there's simply too much money on the table for him not to. I'm gonna predict he's back between May-August.

I'm not trying to downplay Hendricks performance but the odds are he was on PED's which probably contributed to his high level performance and not fading hard in the 4th and 5th rounds.
Never failed a drug test. Actually competed multiple times in the USADA era instead of only once.

He beat hendricks made him tap inside one round . hendricks who was a better version of woodley had better striking better wrestling and better stamina and chin . Prime GSP beats any version of tyquill and every version of your idol android .

Back