Gym Idiots v10

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. I also hate people who jump rope between sets in the middle of the tiny ass free weights area, barely any room to deadlift/row and then you have to hug the walls to get around them.

There are people at my gym who feel obligated to do shrugs between the power/squat racks as it is their only access to get close to the mirrors. I don't understand it at all.

There are people at my gym who feel obligated to do shrugs between the power/squat racks as it is their only access to get close to the mirrors. I don't understand it at all.

it's still better than guys who shrug 185 in the power rack as part of their circuit...

Ugh, this irritates me more than it should because it doesn't affect me whatsoever but when people load up the bench with way too much weight and proceed to do a few shaky reps with 3 inch ROM I can only assume they are egotistical douches.

This middle-aged dude was doing crab walks throughout the weight room. It was hilarious watching him maneuver around guys walking to re-rack weights. I think everyone in the immediate area shared a 'shaking my head' moment.

These posts are from another thread. Somehow Flash Monsta hasn't witnessed the tricep extension/bench press combo. Lucky bastard.
Wait.. wat?
Curling bar? Thats an EZ bar, right? why would you use it for chest?
What witchery is this? Does someone know something I don't?

My response

You've never witnessed someone use the ez bar for lying triceps extensions supersetted with using the bar to do bench presses? I see that combo frequently, sometimes the hands are really narrow, sometimes out wide.

I'd say it is in the top 10 for bro exercises.

I swear I it is the only time I see some guys at my gym actually lower a bar to their chest.

Which leads me to something I witnessed last week.
Group of 4 guys were rotating through the bench press trio and then went to the above mentioned superset.

One of the guys started the press part he had his arms fully extended and his press motion was barely bending his elbows, then he lowered the bar to his chest and pressed it about 2-3" for each rep.
Meanwhile another member of the quartet was standing by him with a confused look on his face and when the guy started the 2-3" presses, he started to tear into him, "What is this? What is this shit" "No, that isn't a rep. That serves no purpose."

I started to laugh after he said "That serves no purpose." Other guy started to defend the exercise and Confused Guy cut him down, "Why do those? No, don't talk, they serve no purpose. Total shit."

The guy was really upset, guess he had enough of their half repping on the benches and this pushed him over the edge.

I'm glad I witnessed that exchange.

Eh. I do jm presses but that can be seen as a lying down tricep extension to the untrained eye.

Eh. I do jm presses but that can be seen as a lying down tricep extension to the untrained eye.
If this post is directed at me, I know what jm presses are. They are not what I posted about or what the gym quartet was doing.

i go to the gym mon-fri and rest on the weekends to eat pizza and drink beer. what you want to fight about it??

anyway. every weekday i end up snapping a picture or recording something ridiculous happening in my gym and put it on my facebook. yesterday it was a guy doing what had to be 30 degreee hack squats. HACK SQUATS!

now to help shed a little more light on this i will add that i go to the gym on base because its free and has everything you need except a cable row machine for some damn reason... so some of these dudes are either pretty new to lifting or fresh from a deployment where they "learned" how to lift.

regardless, lots of entertainment is provided.

i go to the gym mon-fri and rest on the weekends to eat pizza and drink beer. what you want to fight about it??

anyway. every weekday i end up snapping a picture or recording something ridiculous happening in my gym and put it on my facebook. yesterday it was a guy doing what had to be 30 degreee hack squats. HACK SQUATS!

now to help shed a little more light on this i will add that i go to the gym on base because its free and has everything you need except a cable row machine for some damn reason... so some of these dudes are either pretty new to lifting or fresh from a deployment where they "learned" how to lift.

Link?

is the cable row machine legit? As a rule of thumb I steer clear of anything with 'cable' or 'machine' in the name, but 'row' is a good word and i want to add in some more pulling work.

is the cable row machine legit? As a rule of thumb I steer clear of anything with 'cable' or 'machine' in the name, but 'row' is a good word and i want to add in some more pulling work.

It's legit. I compensate for the lack of that machine by doing many lat pull down variations with wide grip bars, to the close grip handles, and the mid range handles for rows and also barbell Romanians and up right rows. There's a row machine with just the handles but it sucks.

This creeps me out a lot, dudes mean mugging themselves while straining.

Cable rows are legit. What's not legit are the guys who end up doing some bastardized version of a hyper where they lean their body back without actually pulling with their arms. Also there are the guys who pretty much lay flat on the bench with their feet on the footplate and curl using the cable row.

Am I the idiot for thinking this is a gym idiot statement or is this an idiotic statement? Saw this on my Facebook from a guy I went to high school who is now a "trainer"

"Hey people, if you live in Red Deer and have at least 8-10 pounds to lose and want to lose it in 14 days then send me a private message and ask me about our Fit Body Boot Camp 14 Day Fat Furnace program that starts on Monday."

10 pounds in 2 weeks seems pretty unrealistic.

10 pounds in 2 weeks seems pretty unrealistic.

10 pounds of fat in 2 weeks is unrealistic. 3 pounds fat, 1 pound muscle, 6 pounds of water weight on a crash diet is what this is

10 pounds of fat in 2 weeks is unrealistic. 3 pounds fat, 1 pound muscle, 6 pounds of water weight on a crash diet is what this is

Yeah that's what I figured that it'd be mostly water weight

Cable rows are legit. What's not legit are the guys who end up doing some bastardized version of a hyper where they lean their body back without actually pulling with their arms. Also there are the guys who pretty much lay flat on the bench with their feet on the footplate and curl using the cable row.
So many people do seated rows like that, it looks like a situp on the row bench.
Then you'll sometimes see the same people doing situps with less range of motion than their seated row reps.

This reminds me last Friday I witnessed the worst lean back on lat pulldowns. This guy started with straight up posture, then leaned back on every rep, on a few reps this upper back actually was lower than the seat.

At my gym the flat bench presses are right by several pulldowns & cable rows, and chest flye machines so I see a lot of weird exercising being done.

-One kid does lat pulldowns really slow up & down, like an 8 count up and then 8 count down. And he hardly has any weight on the machine, usually 3 or 4 plates.
What is the purpose of that exercise?

-Two guys do pulldowns with their legs over the leg-restraint pad, putting their feet up against the machine. So of course once they start going up in weight the bar pulls them up off the seat. They usually fight it for a set or two. Then the other guy will press down on the shoulders of the guy doing reps...Why not just use the leg-restraint pad?

I saw a guy yesterday curling an ez bar with gloves on.

That doesn't sound bad at all right? But the gloves he had were winter gloves. Those fingerless, big, round, gloves.

I had a double take

I'm lifting at my work gym now, so I never see idiots any more. Sure, some guys curl in the rack and do circuits, but that doesn't bother me cause there's only ever one or two of us in there at once.

I do find it hard to get out of my head and lift though. Everyone wants to chat and stuff, which is fine, but they don't really get the whole heavy lifting thing and it's a social thing for a lot of them. Like, an hour on the Arc after work just as part of a daily routine. At least I'm generally the heaviest squatter there, which is not something I get to say very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back