Has Chinese Takeout got crazy expensive in your area?

The portions have shrunk significantly, like 50% smaller containers for the meat. The appeal of Chinese food is that it's a cheap meal with large portions. There's not a lot of protein, and the little protein that's there is low quality and covered in breading and sugar. Nutritionally bankrupt. Now that it's not a good deal anymore it's not really worth buying, my money goes much further elsewhere.

I have a menu from my local favorite chinese takout from 2019. I just recently grabbed a 1/24 menu. One of my favorite appetizer went from $4ish for a small back in 2019, to $9ish for a small, and $18ish for a large in 2024. This is an appetizer!
There is soo many other items on the menue that had damn near doubled. Its impossible to order a meal for 2 without spending at least $40.

Groceries have gone up for everyone brother.
My favorite place went up a couple of bucks too, but I understood.

Also, if you look on YouTube there's no recipe you can't find.

Last edited:
Vietnamese Food is the one thats spiking all of a sudden

A bowl of pho is now $18 in my area
Ramen at most place around here is like $16-18. When I was in Japan last year I could get the same thing or even better for half the price. Same with fish/sushi. US acting like it's got some secret recipe. The only secret recipe is inflation.

The portions have shrunk significantly, like 50% smaller containers for the meat. The appeal of Chinese food is that it's a cheap meal with large portions. There's not a lot of protein, and the little protein that's there is low quality and covered in breading and sugar. Nutritionally bankrupt. Now that it's not a good deal anymore it's not really worth buying, my money goes much further elsewhere.
American Chinese is sugar, MSG, Peanut Butter, apple sauce, ketchup riddled trash 90 percent of the time.

If I'm going to eat Asian food, I'm eating Japanese, Vietnamese or Thai food.

Everything has gotten more expensive and shrinkflation is definitely happening to these places as well. The portions keep getting smaller and smaller by the week.

I gave up on Chinese food years ago. I don't know if my tastes have changed, or I just can't find decent Chinese food anymore. I'd much rather eat Korean hot pot, Vietnamese or Thai now. And yes everything is expensive now.

Why would it be different thsn everything else

Everything fast food and take out is stupid priced currently. I got a double cheeseburger combo from one of our local drive thru burger places and it was 18 bucks…

Chinese takeout is actually still relatively affordable at some of the places here. Much more bang for your buck than others
The best thing about Chinese take out or delivery is that you usually get enough food for at least 2 meals. Yeah, I just spent $40 at the time, but I'm eating 2-3 days on that. Can't do that with a burger place.

Everything's more expensive. I had two foot longs at Subway and $30+. I had three fried saimins and couple of scoops of mac salad and $40+.

I can choose Sam's Club pizza, but end up eating lots of fat and salt.

Why people order junkfood from franchises for these prices is a mystery to me. Ok in earlier years sometimes it was cheap easy and addictive because of all the crap they put in I get that but nowadays?
You can eat decent at a local restaurant despite the higher prices and its 10x healthier in most cases compared to franchises.

How do people think a franchise concept works? Produce as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible and if thats not enough abuse your employees.
The high quality in a franchise is a myth. Otherwise shareholders would go havoc.

Eat at local takeouts if you dont want to cook and dont use delivery apps if possible they also abuse and mistreat the participating restaurants and drivers with horrendous prices. A lot offer their own service were they can actually live from via call. The more capitalized a society is the more these people get treated like slaves.
In South Korea its now in some places down to 85cent per delivery while the app takes away the tipps and pushes brutal time restrictions on the restaurant and driver leading to more deaths in traffic and overworked depressed workers. Fuck delivery apps.

The other day I got:

Tan Tan ramen
Hibachi steak/veg, fried rice & miso soup
Edemame
2 spring rolls

35$... seemed about right

Why people order junkfood from franchises for these prices is a mystery to me. Ok in earlier years sometimes it was cheap easy and addictive because of all the crap they put in I get that but nowadays?
You can eat decent at a local restaurant despite the higher prices and its 10x healthier in most cases compared to franchises.

How do people think a franchise concept works? Produce as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible and if thats not enough abuse your employees.
The high quality in a franchise is a myth. Otherwise shareholders would go havoc.

Eat at local takeouts if you dont want to cook and dont use delivery apps if possible they also abuse and mistreat the participating restaurants and drivers with horrendous prices. A lot offer their own service were they can actually live from via call. The more capitalized a society is the more these people get treated like slaves.
In South Korea its now in some places down to 85cent per delivery while the app takes away the tipps and pushes brutal time restrictions on the restaurant and driver leading to more deaths in traffic and overworked depressed workers. Fuck delivery apps.
I want to believe franchises train and enforce safety standards. Too many times on the local news, seems like non-franchise local diners are run by fools. I'm talking about Dept of Health shutting down places due to lack of cold enough refrigeration, roaches, etc.

See if your 7-11 has dim sum. Talking meat bun filled with teri chicken or chicken curry or hot dog, pork hash (meatball) with won ton wrapper on it.

The ones here also have microwave bentos with a variety of small portions of this and that. Fried saimin, spaghetti, rolled tacos.

In college, I used to like the breaded chicken patty sandwich with a packet of mayo. Very consistent product.

The Indian restaurants in my area are tanking rapidly with their crazy price increases.. customers are complaining but they’re saying everyone else has raised their prices so we had to as well lolI

If you’re paying over $12 for butter chicken you’re an idiot

Yes in my town there is only one Chinese spot. So they can charge whatever they want. A LG soup is $7. Lunch specials are $9

Back