Has Vince McMahon been successful in spite of himself?

He's cost himself some things over the years for usre. But his insane ambition and drive combined with a very ruthless cut throat mentality has more than made up for his creative short comings.

So he knew he was gonna get cancer and forced his partners to sell to his son at a severely reduced price?
And Skaaland, Zacko etc just gave up their points for the fuck of it even though they were worth a shitload of money?
He lived less than five months after the sale's completion, it was not a surprise he was going to die. He was motivated solely by that fact. His partners actually offered him more (along with Marella) for the company and Sr. only quieted them with the promise to cancel his son's acquisition if he missed his payments (which were tinier than they could have imagined).

These minority partners had no voting say in the company, and were willing to sell for obvious reasons. One, both men largely made money by promoting in their arenas (Skaaland in Westchester and Zacko in Baltimore I think) that the national expansion threatened. Two, they had zero faith in Jr. and wanted to cash out before his risk taking sunk the company. Now we can see much later that those points would be worth a lot, but given the deceptiveness of the circumstance and their aversion to VKM they were pleased to get anything for their percentage (which they only wanted to ensure shows on a consistent basis).

He's cost himself some things over the years for usre. But his insane ambition and drive combined with a very ruthless cut throat mentality has more than made up for his creative short comings.
This is sort of how I see it too. I think to even get in his position you have to be a little nuts. Every extremely successful person I've known was at least a little crazy and made bizarre decisions but it takes someone like that to run a company.

He took that shit National in a big way and made it a part of pop culture in a different way any than other organization ever before

None of you have read Sex Lies and Headlocks? Capital Revolution? Those two are must own books if you are into the business of pro wrestling and the history of the industry.

The sturboness of vince pushing 'the guy' in spite of fan rejection out of spite because he can get away with it. If it was during a competition between promotions, the reigns experiment would of been quieted by now, by having a monopoly vince can do want his wants. Vote with the remote, lowest ratings for raw/sd shows fans are voting by not viewing.

I'm glad to be ppv only of the current era, weekly TV would be too much (5 hrs).

none of that stuff matters. that’s prob why they don’t give a shit. clean finishes and good booking would barely affect their ratings or popularity. there is a hardcore fanbase that will watch the program no matter what.

When Fox gets Smackdown, the product must improve. They ain’t accepting 20% ratings fall every year.

Hardcore fans have NJPW, ROH and shit, Impact is better than Raw most weeks.

The sturboness of vince pushing 'the guy' in spite of fan rejection out of spite because he can get away with it. If it was during a competition between promotions, the reigns experiment would of been quieted by now, by having a monopoly vince can do want his wants. Vote with the remote, lowest ratings for raw/sd shows fans are voting by not viewing.

I'm glad to be ppv only of the current era, weekly TV would be too much (5 hrs).

If WCW was around, Reigns would be the IC champ.

None of you have read Sex Lies and Headlocks? Capital Revolution? Those two are must own books if you are into the business of pro wrestling and the history of the industry.

Death of WCW is the best book. Fucker Bischoff shits on it every week but he never read it. I think Das Kapital is bollocks but I read it.

Death of WCW is the best book. Fucker Bischoff shits on it every week but he never read it. I think Das Kapital is bollocks but I read it.

Eazy E exposed Reynolds. Get your facts straight.

Vince succeeded despite many of his decisions.
Vince succeeded because of his nature.

Vince is a petty, ruthless, extreme Type A personality. Those tend to be people who get shit done and/or make history.

Meh, those are boring. SL&H is full of errors too.
Death of the Territories just came out though and it's the talk of the town.

GUEST_466a068a-d365-4e72-a4ac-7cc3ad2e9be3

I would say it's half and half. Vince was the right guy, at the right place, at the right time. There was plenty of hard work, plenty of smart moves, and plenty of dumb luck.

Meh, those are boring. SL&H is full of errors too.
Death of the Territories just came out though and it's the talk of the town.

GUEST_466a068a-d365-4e72-a4ac-7cc3ad2e9be3

Hornbaker wrote the one and it was boring, you say? Now you're trying to sell me on another book by the same author? Not a very good sell.

What were the errors? That Inoki had spikes on his shoes against Ali? That is the one that pops into my head offhand. What else?

Back