Having a side gig that makes good money but that you viscerally hate

• Thread starter Deleted member 592822
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 592822

hey guys

I have a side gig which is teaching a foreign language, I have student and classes online. Been doing it for 10 years and it takes my whole Sunday generally.

I have a 9 to 5 that is going ok as well, getting a new certification and a lot more responsibilities.

The side gig allowed me to make money that always was helpful for travels, buying stuff for the home, for the kids etc. a standard of living I couldn't have had without.

But I came to hate it. Hate teaching. Not that interested in the language and it's culture anymore. Tired of students being lazy and missing classes.

I want to stop and try something in the fitness industry instead but it would mean being a bit short on money this year.

It's stupid but it reminds me of Ngannou leaving a fat guaranteed check in the UFC to try and do something he feels aligned with. He took risk but succeeded

what would you do in my stead ? Thanks

I would try to find a way to get some income from it without having to do the things you don't like.

If you left it and the fitness thing didn't work out, can you return to it easily if you find out it wasn't that bad/ need the money?

I would try to find a way to get some income from it without having to do the things you don't like.

so hiring a teacher and a kind of secretary to handle all the administrive stuff

If you left it and the fitness thing didn't work out, can you return to it easily if you find out it wasn't that bad/ need the money?

I have an okay following on social media so yes probably could. also have a somewhat decent name in the industry so it helps.

Summer's over but, cutting lawns/snow removal, dog walking, may be some fun options.

it brings much less money tho

Sounds tough but you could do the fitness shit as well and cut the teaching if it starts to pick up.

Or... Fitness education in a foreign language, learn Chinese AND chin ups.

Keeps your body AND your mind active.

Boom.

I'd like a plat account as payment when this works out for you.

I'd focus on my main job getting a promotion, even moving companies to get a better salary.

I value my free time too much to work more than five days a week these days. I did it in my 20s when I was just trying to make as much cash as possible working seven days a week but what I should have been doing was focusing on how to advance my career so I could make more money for less hours.

stop-it-get-some-help.gif

Stop being a pussy and just do the side hustle. Comfort is the enemy of achievement. The bottom line is dollars don't make themselves so you gotta decide if your comfort is worth the detriment to your family

Stop being a pussy and just do the side hustle. Comfort is the enemy of achievement. The bottom line is dollars don't make themselves so you gotta decide if your comfort is worth the detriment to your family

it's not like I want to watch TV instead. The other solution is to start another side hustle. Pro is I will be more invested in it so will work harder, con is it will start slowly compared to a 10 years old established one

What type of fitness side hustle did you have planned? One on one Personal trainers don't make much unless they have wealthy clients. Teaching group classes sometimes works but it is a bit of a risk of you have to rent your own place. Having your own gym is a risk, but doesn't have to take a lot of time and something your family could probably help with.

hey guys

I have a side gig which is teaching a foreign language, I have student and classes online. Been doing it for 10 years and it takes my whole Sunday generally.

I have a 9 to 5 that is going ok as well, getting a new certification and a lot more responsibilities.

The side gig allowed me to make money that always was helpful for travels, buying stuff for the home, for the kids etc. a standard of living I couldn't have had without.

But I came to hate it. Hate teaching. Not that interested in the language and it's culture anymore. Tired of students being lazy and missing classes.

I want to stop and try something in the fitness industry instead but it would mean being a bit short on money this year.

It's stupid but it reminds me of Ngannou leaving a fat guaranteed check in the UFC to try and do something he feels aligned with. He took risk but succeeded

what would you do in my stead ? Thanks
if you're anything like most people, you're a slave to money. If you're like me, you'll do whatever the fuck you want at the cost of friends and family's who think I'm a bum. Now, I understand that's not possible when you have mouths to feed but I can only tell you how I do things.

I see all these people who sold their souls, all with varying success and they are miserable as fuck, no thank you, keep the money, i'll just be broke, a bum, whatever they want to call me. Misery loves company, that's my summation of their opinion and i can't be moved by any of it. If i had dependents, it would be different but i don't.

if you're anything like most people, you're a slave to money. If you're like me, you'll do whatever the fuck you want at the cost of friends and family's who think I'm a bum. Now, I understand that's not possible when you have mouths to feed but I can only tell you how I do things.

I see all these people who sold their souls, all with varying success and they are miserable as fuck, no thank you, keep the money, i'll just be broke, a bum, whatever they want to call me. Misery loves company, that's my summation of their opinion and i can't be moved by any of it. If i had dependents, it would be different but i don't.

I think I'm in between. I understand the need for money and want more, because it can buy a lot of comfort not only for me but also my kids. Nice home, good food, vacations, private schools etc.

but at the same time money is here to serve me, I'm not the one here to serve it. So what I want is doing something I like to get money instead of something I dread. Best of both worlds IMO

Back