Having two people come up with the same grappling name...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Lets say that there is a domain called golden grappling. But there is no website, no indication that something is being built here. Of course I am ready to launch my own website with the same name as that but the domain is taken.

Now of course there is .net or .org or insert . anything. Or I could put a dash between it. Now if I make my website first, do I get to be the rightful owner of the name?

I mean the person has bought the domain but only the .com and that's all they did.

Are we back in the 90s internet bubble when people registered domains hoping to become the next Bill Gates?

Lets say that there is a domain called golden grappling. But there is no website, no indication that something is being built here. Of course I am ready to launch my own website with the same name as that but the domain is taken.

Now of course there is .net or .org or insert . anything. Or I could put a dash between it. Now if I make my website first, do I get to be the rightful owner of the name?

I mean the person has bought the domain but only the .com and that's all they did.
He's got it until it expires or he sells it.

what about instagram? if it’s not claimed you should claim it.

He's got it until it expires or he sells it.

What if I get the. Net or .org and actually make the website. Would that signifies putting the flag that I was there first?

Buy it from him or challenge him to mutual combat for it

What if I get the. Net or .org and actually make the website. Would that signifies putting the flag that I was there first?

Are you worried about domain ownership, or copyright protection?

The domain is theirs unless you can buy it from them. Nothing you can really do about that.

If you're in the US, copyright protection issues are a whole separate issue, and domain name availability doesn't have much to do with it. What maters is the use of the business name, not the existence of a website. If there is already a business in a related industry and potentially serving the same market, you'll need to find a different name. If it's not clear whether there is, you'll need a copyright lawyer.

A gym in a neighboring state opened a BJJ gym with the same name as mine, and was pretty shady. I didn't want to be associated with them by mistake. It wasn't worth pursuing legally (and I would likely not have won, since we're brick-and-mortar businesses in different states), so I just changed our name. I did some research and found that another gym already had my preferred name, so I modified it slightly. However, all of the domains for that modified name were taken by unrelated businesses. So I found a completely different name that wasn't being used by anyone in the martial arts and had URL and social media availability. It wasn't my first choice, but it was the best I could do. You've just gotta be willing to compromise

These days, finding a suitable available URL (and probably social media usernames) should be part of the naming process, and you should purchase the domain before you actually make the website. You should also buy up similar domains to prevent this same situation. You don't just want to own goldengrappling.com, but also goldengrappling.net, golden-grappling.com, etc.

Also, I do hope that "Golden Grappling" is just an example you're using, and not the actual name.

Are you worried about domain ownership, or copyright protection?

The domain is theirs unless you can buy it from them. Nothing you can really do about that.

If you're in the US, copyright protection issues are a whole separate issue, and domain name availability doesn't have much to do with it. What maters is the use of the business name, not the existence of a website. If there is already a business in a related industry and potentially serving the same market, you'll need to find a different name. If it's not clear whether there is, you'll need a copyright lawyer.

A gym in a neighboring state opened a BJJ gym with the same name as mine, and was pretty shady. I didn't want to be associated with them by mistake. It wasn't worth pursuing legally (and I would likely not have won, since we're brick-and-mortar businesses in different states), so I just changed our name. I did some research and found that another gym already had my preferred name, so I modified it slightly. However, all of the domains for that modified name were taken by unrelated businesses. So I found a completely different name that wasn't being used by anyone in the martial arts and had URL and social media availability. It wasn't my first choice, but it was the best I could do. You've just gotta be willing to compromise

These days, finding a suitable available URL (and probably social media usernames) should be part of the naming process, and you should purchase the domain before you actually make the website. You should also buy up similar domains to prevent this same situation. You don't just want to own goldengrappling.com, but also goldengrappling.net, golden-grappling.com, etc.

Also, I do hope that "Golden Grappling" is just an example you're using, and not the actual name.

Its an example and not the actual name that's why I used a tacky example. So right now the situation is, there is no website but the person has the .com but has done NOTHING with it.

I reckon that if I make a move first by launching it in the .NET or -grappling.com then that signals me putting down the flag first.

Problem with domain is, there is .com, .NET, .org but now there is also .ca, .uk, .tv, .vide., .social, .life, .app, .live, .life and many many more

So now I am like well there is a million . domains then I just need to the jump on this real quick but I just have to make sure to act fast but before I do, I need to double check with all of you because this particular forum has serious people who are in the business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loverich
Back